PDA

View Full Version : Windshield options

Gearhead61
04-23-2007, 04:52 PM
The Sami needs one pretty badly. The nice thing is that the windshield is totally flat, so it should be easy to source a new one. I'm looking at three different options though:

1. Regular laminated glass - Should be pretty easy to find. Unfortunately, I think it could be pretty expensive also. Plus, it's still glass and as such would likely break more easily. Anyone know of a good shop here in CS to get a new windshield?

2. Plexiglass/lexan from home depot - Should be really cheap and I could do it myself. Cons are that it scratches easily and could possibly shatter instead of just cracking. I think it would still be more resistant to cracking than glass would be.

3. Polyshield from lowrangeoffroad.com - http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/samexterior.htm about 1/4 down the page.
It would be expensive, but hopefully the last windshield I'd ever have to buy? Would it still be prone to scratching? It says it's got some sort of resistant coating, but I don't know. I'd rather not fork over that kind of cash if I can get something cheaper.

What do y'all think?

8Runner
04-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I run lexan and it looks decent, has held up well and has been in occasional wheeling use for ~2 years. Feel free to come take a look.

I do need to replace the lexan side panels so if you find a good source let me know.

Gearhead61
04-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Where did you originally get your lexan?

Did you just use like a jigsaw with a really fine blade to cut it or something?

JeepPhisherman
04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
His came with it. Jig saw will work fine, search on pirate. $150 aint too bad for that polyshield. I don't think you'll find a replacement windshield for cheaper. If this will be strictly offroad with occasional on road driving, I'd go the lexan way.

CRaSHnBuRN
04-24-2007, 02:43 AM
what about speedglass (http://www.offroadoverstock.com/store.cfm?page=list.cfm&criteria=13&action=list&cat=20&startrow=1&maxrows=10&afid=&)?

Gearhead61
04-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Speedglass seems to be the same price or more expensive... How is it different from the polyshield? It's another polycarbonate material with some sort of anti-scratch coating, right?

Reckless
04-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Creighton got his lexan at Home Depot i think.

RCcola55
04-24-2007, 11:39 AM
i should have some in the garage

agjohn02
04-24-2007, 12:27 PM
why do you want a windshield? if you are driving it on the street it needs wipers. wipers will scratch anything but actual glass. if its just a trail vehicle, why run a windshield? it just gets dirty, scratched, and hard to see through. impossible to see through when the sun is hitting it.

sasquatch
04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
plexiglass yellows under uv light

Graystroke
04-24-2007, 05:30 PM
I would run glass and then just remove the whole frame and all when you take it off-road. John is right about the sun...just watch nascar on Sunday w/ an afternoon race. And that is with tears offs too.

Gearhead61
04-25-2007, 01:09 AM
Yeah some people have told me that you can get glass with a lifetime warranty (free replacement) for as little as like $135. I was going to get a fold-down/removable windshield hinge set, so that should work well. The damn gasket to hold the windshield in the frame is $50 by itself! Rediculous!

8Runner
04-25-2007, 02:13 AM
why do you want a windshield? if you are driving it on the street it needs wipers. wipers will scratch anything but actual glass. if its just a trail vehicle, why run a windshield? it just gets dirty, scratched, and hard to see through. impossible to see through when the sun is hitting it.

I learned the value of a windsheild in CO when it was snowing & sleeting...

CRaSHnBuRN
04-25-2007, 07:55 AM
yes, but I doubt this guy will be seeing conditions like that anytime soon.

BMFScout
04-25-2007, 08:13 AM
removable glass windshield, it's what the cool kids do.

agjohn02
04-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I learned the value of a windsheild in CO when it was snowing & sleeting...

i also remember blindly driving your buggy up carnage canyon b/c i couldnt see anything from the glare.

i think windshields of any kind are nice when you need it, like cold weather, but should be left at home the rest of the time.

8Runner
04-25-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I would like to make mine more easily removeable. Speaking of which - perhaps I will remove it for this weekend if the weather is looking goo.

TxCruzr
04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
Yeah some people have told me that you can get glass with a lifetime warranty (free replacement) for as little as like $135. I was going to get a fold-down/removable windshield hinge set, so that should work well. The damn gasket to hold the windshield in the frame is $50 by itself! Rediculous!

I doubt the warranty covers the glass being broken by a smashed windshield frame from a rollover. Folding down the windshield only protects it so much. You can still trash the frame pretty easily if it is just folded down. Better option would be to have it completely removable.

Gearhead61
04-26-2007, 03:32 AM
I have plans to make it fold-down/removable. The fold-down would be more for cool-factor I guess, but it would be easy to modify it to fold down or be removable!