PDA

View Full Version : Hitch-mounted winching.

JB
05-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I am contemplating how I would like to setup a winch on the Bronco and was really interested on the strength on mounting it via a hitch and winch cradle. I want to do this primarily so I can swap it over to my truck or even at the front of the trailer if I weld on a hitch to it, so I can winch heavy busted **** up onto it. Looking at others with this setup, it really just looks weak and you are really limited strengthwise to the strenght of the cradle.

Has anyone seen this setup used strenuoulsy, like at a weired angle or something? I think it would be fine for anything I might get the F150 stuck in, but not necessarily the Bronco.

eight
05-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Set it up like Krebs did.

colman
05-04-2007, 08:56 PM
i have one of those warn wich cradles for sale that came with a winch i hard mounted. they run 200 new, i will sell it to you for half of that. you can come and check it out if you want. one of the handles is slightly bent from the po hitting a pole but it can easily be fixed with a torch and a little elbow grease. The bend didn't appear to affect the rest of the structure at all.

JeepPhisherman
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
i have one of those warn wich cradles for sale that came with a winch i hard mounted. they run 200 new, i will sell it to you for half of that. you can come and check it out if you want. one of the handles is slightly bent from the po hitting a pole but it can easily be fixed with a torch and a little elbow grease. The bend didn't appear to affect the rest of the structure at all.

What happened to you selling stuff cheap? That's $20 worth of metal you're peddling for a bill!

:flipoff2:

colman
05-04-2007, 09:40 PM
its actually in really great shape, the powder coating is good and it is stout. All for 1/2 price of what a new one would be. and there is no shipping to deal with. i am always open to trades as well

JB
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
I'll keep it mind, but I dont thnk they are 200 new

edit: nevermind, they are, but they come with all the wiring. Seems overpriced for new.

Doug Krebs
05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
I always heard bad things about a single receiver hitch when pulling to the side.

Any kinda receiver hitch mount is going to kill approach/departure angles. God knows how many times my cradle was dragged.

colman
05-04-2007, 10:32 PM
i have the wiring for the winch to the quick connect but no connect to the battery

DRAGOONRANCH
05-04-2007, 11:02 PM
I always heard bad things about a single receiver hitch when pulling to the side.

Any kinda receiver hitch mount is going to kill approach/departure angles. God knows how many times my cradle was dragged.

I have the reciever mounted a pretty good ways under the cheby up front right now, and it almost flushmounts the winch when I install it. I will be putting a few web braces in it when I start tearing the sheet metal off the front. I will try to get some pictures of it mounted up to show ya.

agjohn02
05-05-2007, 12:09 AM
ive got a brand new one for sale. $100 and it doesnt have a bent handle. fresh outta the box. ill even put it back in for you. i havent even taken the wrapping off of it.

colman
05-05-2007, 01:48 AM
if you want it make me an offer

Shaggy
05-05-2007, 08:52 AM
i would hard mount it... i know you want to move it around but i think the tradeoffs are not worth it... plus it is heavy and you wont want to move it

Graystroke
05-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I can't remember how kreb's was done...but what about a double reciever mount? or even a triple of sort? you can set one up to use two mounts on the back of your truck for side angles and such and the middle one you can use on your trailer. You could set it up w/ two wiring harnesses. use the two mount set-up for the back of your bronco and the other single on your towing truck/trailer...or just build a battery box on your trailer and use the big round trailer harness w/ a charging circuit in the middle to recharge the battery on the trailer...this would be the cheapest route...those big gauge wires are expensive and cumbersome to run the length of the truck...

Sharpe
05-05-2007, 11:20 AM
I have the reciever mounted a pretty good ways under the cheby up front right now, and it almost flushmounts the winch when I install it. I will be putting a few web braces in it when I start tearing the sheet metal off the front. I will try to get some pictures of it mounted up to show ya.
I'm skeptical about how close you could mount a winch on a multi mount. On pigpen, my winch is as close as it can physically be to the radiator and the fairlead hurts approach angle a little, but not much. I had to cut the front of my core support to tuck my giant 12k warn that far in.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
ive got a brand new one for sale. $100 and it doesnt have a bent handle. fresh outta the box. ill even put it back in for you. i havent even taken the wrapping off of it.

What will you charge to let me put it back in your box?!?! :beer: