PDA

View Full Version : 22r

Eckert
05-17-2007, 12:20 AM
need one for my new project, a 1984 toyota. looking for one in good condition as the one that comes with it has a hole in the block the size of a baseball. Has to be mostly complete.

Thanks
Tyler

CRaSHnBuRN
05-17-2007, 12:22 AM
talk to uglyota. He may know of a yard in houston that has a few. If not, I know where there is a blue truck with a 22re thats just been sitting for a while that we can probably steal the engine from :D

Eckert
05-17-2007, 12:45 AM
i know of one here, that has been "rebuilt" or susposed to be. I was just seeing if any of yall had or knew of one personally. that way i know the actual condition of it.

Tyler

CRaSHnBuRN
05-17-2007, 01:02 AM
was the "rebuilt" one the guy at the college station napa? If not, go ask around up there, cause one of the guys behind the counter was trying to sell me one he supposedly had rebuilt but never used a few months back

Eckert
05-17-2007, 01:18 AM
no it wasnt, by "here" i mean my hometown near Austin. Ill be back up in CS on monday, so i might ask around.

thanks

JB
05-17-2007, 03:26 AM
i thnk cardoc has a few 22s laying around, or at least could point you in theright direction. If interested, talk to jonathan.

BMFScout
05-17-2007, 08:45 AM
You reminded me that I need to get rid of the extra one that came with my new to me Toyota, check my for sale thread.

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=151414#post151414

uglyota
05-17-2007, 09:24 AM
aw dam Jimmy I didn't know you had a good used clutch for sale! I'll give you a six pack of the brew of your choice for it :D
Eckert I would honestly look for a junkyard motor rather than buy rebuilt. I've seen too many of these things that have thrown rods after a build that the owner rebuilt just to freshen it up. Pull the valve cover and make sure the valvetrain isn't rusted to hell, make sure it makes compression and slap it in.
edit: after looking at Jimmy's ad, I'd probably use that one if I were you. If the cylinder walls aren't rusted, put new rod bearings in it, have the head and block decked, order your t-chain and cover from engnbldr.com (might as well get an RV or rockcrawler cam while you're at it), slap it together with ARP head studs and call it good.

BMFScout
05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
aw dam Jimmy I didn't know you had a good used clutch for sale! I'll give you a six pack of the brew of your choice for it :D

SOLD! It's cherry! I can UPS it to you, but Fred doesn't work for Collins Bros. anymore so it will actually cost money to ship it. (Damn you Fred!)

I went the rockauto.com route, all stock crap. Even with shocks, and filters, new cam and whatnot I had $5-600 in getting it back on the road.

uglyota
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Do you not come to College Station anymore? Can you give it to someone on the river trip and I'll get it from them Sunday? The more paychecks I receive the less willing I am to pay for a used clutch ;)
Luckily this week has given me opportunity to regress :D

Eckert
05-18-2007, 12:25 AM
edit: after looking at Jimmy's ad, I'd probably use that one if I were you. If the cylinder walls aren't rusted, put new rod bearings in it, have the head and block decked, order your t-chain and cover from engnbldr.com (might as well get an RV or rockcrawler cam while you're at it), slap it together with ARP head studs and call it good.

alright, story time. the engine came out of a running truck that the owner sold. he kept the engine for his buggy since it smoked when he took it to new mexico. well hes taken his buggy out since then and it hasnt smoked so he said he is not going to use it and will sell it to me for $400. it was "rebuilt" circa 2k miles ago. he cracked the vavle cover when he removed it and it needs an exhaust manifold. the truck im picking up still has everything. just a huge hole in the block. think the 22r is worth $400? Ive seen rebuilt ones online up to $1500 and the cheapest i saw a junkyard motor for was $300. but i really dont know what to expect/pay. I figured i might as well put in a new clutch while im at it.

new truck. notice the engine hanging from the tree? haha. this is how i found it. im picking it up next wednesday. waiting on paperwork.

Gearhead61
05-18-2007, 12:28 AM
Looks like a good score! Good luck finding you a motor.

uglyota
05-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Looks like a good truck. I would still use Jimmeh's motor. You can probably get everything I mentioned above plus the motor for $400

Eckert
05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Looks like a good truck. I would still use Jimmeh's motor. You can probably get everything I mentioned above plus the motor for $400

If i had the know-how i would. By the time i pay someone else to mess with the internals, i would be well over $400.

Gearhead61
05-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm sure someone here knows how to do it. There's never a better time to learn.

uglyota
05-22-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=582654