PDA

View Full Version : Pinche' Burro!!

BMFScout
06-08-2007, 12:16 AM
It all started with a $250 1990 Pathfinder advertised in Craigslist. The only problem was it was buried up to the frame and had been vandalized out in the Wylie Lake bottoms. I gave the guy $200, and he gave me the title, now we just had to extract it.

This happened on a Monday. It monsooned that Monday afternoon and rained lightly on us while Fred and Lurch winched it out of the hole it was in. That is all we got done on Monday night, it was raining and the mosqitos almost carried us off. That night was a pain in the ass.

We let it dry out until tonight, Thursday. When we first got out there tonight everything looked pretty dry walking in. Then when I turned the corner I was relieved to see that it had not been further vandalized. The weird thing I noticed is although it hadn't rained in 3 days, there was more standing water than on Monday the monsoon night. As I walked out to El Burro, as we have dubbed it, I noticed that where the water was, the ground underneath was still cracked like it was dried out. I then noticed that the water was actually moving. That's right, it's been a record drought, the lake was 16 feet low, haven't opened the gates on the dam in well over a year, but they chose tonight, I would say around 6:30 or so, to open them. Panic set in on my part, and dissaproval on Fred's. I believe his exact words were, "No fawking way are we getting this out now." It reminded me of the Johnny Cash song, "How high's the water momma? I said it's 6 feet high and rising..." Anway, I toss a new battery in El Burro and she fires off. I don't even think about putting air in the tires b/c it's time to go, NOW. Throw it in drive and hammer down. Holy ****, she's moving! I think Fawk yeah, I'm driving this ***** out of here. 20 yards later I found a hole. Fred positions the Scout (Who's power steering belt let go on the way over there) onto higher ground and starts yanking. There was some more drama, like all 4 tires de-beading on burro, and Fred damn near rolling on an embankment, but Lurch comes through and gets us the fawk out of there. Good thing too, because we looked back after we got out and the water was just getting deeper and deeper. Showed up at 7:00 and had it on the trailer by 8:30 or so, 4 flat tires and all. The whole time we are loading it we are adjacent to HWY 78, so people naturally thinking I did this to the poor burro, are honking and laughing. I laughed all the way to Scoutfourk, her new home.

Would I do it again, fawk no! It's there though, and should make a good "Ranch" truck/Alto Cruiser. I had thought about replacing the glass and tires, cleaning it up and turning it, but I don't think I could come out ahead by that much. This will be much more fun. It's a ways down on the list, so it may be awhile.

It runs pretty good at idle, but when I hammer it, it acts like it's hitting a rev limiter. Does anyone know if these have a rev limiter when they are in 4-low? It would make sense, so I'm hoping that's what it is.

Here are some pics of the first night, our photographer had to go to guard duty this weekend, so no pics from tonight.

BMFScout
06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Just checked the army corps website, releasing 5136 CFS. That is information that would have been good to know yesterday!

jerryg79
06-08-2007, 05:56 AM
How many cupholders?

KrazyKarl02
06-08-2007, 07:12 AM
How many cupholders?

Yes, along with Jerry I also would like to know this. Also he and I do not care about lift, tires, etc... What is your on-board refreshment system going to be? I know they make gyroscopic cup holders for motorcycles, this makes it very hard to spill your drink, I think this could use a set. What type of cooler space will it have?

Also, consider mounting some seats on the front of the truck. That way people could ride up there and shoot rabbits and such at Scoutfork. Also make sure they have cup holders.

BMFScout
06-08-2007, 07:58 AM
It will definitely have an adequate amount of cup holders. Also, I think it has a discardable roof. Unfortunately, I know it was smoked in because I found an empty pack in the backseat floorboard. You can never get that smell out. (Even if you smashed out the windows and left it in a field for a week.)

jerryg79
06-08-2007, 09:24 AM
It will definitely have an adequate amount of cup holders. Also, I think it has a discardable roof. Unfortunately, I know it was smoked in because I found an empty pack in the backseat floorboard. You can never get that smell out. (Even if you smashed out the windows and left it in a field for a week.)

"IT'S BEEN SMOKED IN KARL!" :gigem:

KrazyKarl02
06-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh man you got screwed....

Sharpe
06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Here's one of my friend Elliotts' pathfinders, use it for buildup ideas :flipoff2:

BMFScout
06-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Wish mine was 2DR! Dang that's sweet. Flem switched sides and now worships rovers. I'm going Pathfinder from now on, Scouts are dumb!

Sharpe
06-08-2007, 12:03 PM
BTW in the first pic the ***** is STUCK. We were doing about 30-40 and Elliott was going to jump that sand pile but it turns out the sand wasnt quite dense enough to support the weight of the truck so we just plowed into it and went from 35ish to zero in about 2 feet and got sand in parts of my body I didnt know I had. The second pic is the pathfinder with a truck campershell over the front. It was raining and muddy as fawk so his dad strapped the shell on the front. It kinda looks like a redneck hummer if you squint your eyes and tilt your head just right.

KrazyKarl02
06-08-2007, 12:49 PM
got sand in parts of my body I didnt know I had.

Sharpe, thats called puberty, you'll find lots of parts of your body that you can put things in and out of that you didn't know you had. Ahh, our special guy is growing up. :flipoff2:

agjohn02
06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
you'll find lots of parts of your body that you can put things in and out of that you didn't know you had.

i think we all know more about karl now than we ever wanted to know. surprising? no. disgusting? extremely!

Graystroke
06-08-2007, 01:24 PM
can you make the first pic a little bigger? :flipoff2:

BMFScout
06-08-2007, 01:57 PM
It needs to be more open air. Here's a blank canvas, post up how you'd hack it.

agjohn02
06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
It needs to be more open air. Here's a blank canvas, post up how you'd hack it.

im getting pretty good at this photoshop thing

Seth
06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
do it amigo style

Graystroke
06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I would do this..that way you stay dry when it rains...I would keep the door frame in the rear so the won't raddle around and to keep the chassis strong for jumping...I would cut out above the back seat..that may screw up he sunroof operation if it is a slider. this way you could stand up in the back seat and work spot light, etc. you could put a hoop behind the back seat at to serve as a leaning post and an oh **** handle/ shooting rest maybe welded to the roof behind the sunroof...this all could be made out of cheap pipe. then you could put a bikini top to cover all this up when the weather is bad....

BMFScout
06-09-2007, 12:08 AM
I don't think the sunroof is a slider, so this may work. The driver's side glass is busted as is the windshield, but the rest of the door glass is fine so that would work, power windows! I was thinking no doors though, not a good idea? I could sell the doors on ebay/craigslist to recoup costs.

Graystroke
06-10-2007, 10:37 PM
w/o doors beers/ ammo/ flashilights/ etc would roll out...no bueno

agjohn02
06-10-2007, 10:50 PM

BMFScout
09-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Update:

I traded my trashed tires at the messican tire shop in Princeton for 4 tires that held air and new valve stems. Cost was $35, the only # on the tires that match is the rim diameter, they are sweet.

I pressure washed all the mud off and vaccumed all the glass out of the inside. It's stuck in 4-low, and smells like it leaks a little oil, but it does good donuts and will go an-ee-where! I'll update a couple pics later.

I was thinking about selling it, but at this point I have $235 in a really kickass go-kart.

Graystroke
09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
keep it. I say we go all out on this bad boy and make a proper huntin' buggie. complete w/ gun rest, beer holders, cooler tie downs, lots of lights and upgraded altenator. Stadium seating seat would be nice w/ gunrest....maybe build a crane on the back to hoist dead animals.

I'd say keep the doors but turn them into half doors for easy in/put and still be able to keep stuff from rolling out.

fit and finish is not important, form, function and free is. use scrap. You could pull it to my Dad's shop...there is plently of scrap there. Find a bus seat for the rear...may be high enough w/ the legs still attached.

flat rustoleum thinned down and tinted and we can use my airless spayer to shoot it.

Shaggy
09-06-2008, 09:25 PM
i didnt realize you still had this thing... sweet

JB
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Shiloh......................Ridge................. Do it!

BMFScout
09-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Shiloh......................Ridge................. Do it!

The thought has crossed my mind. I hate that it's stuck in 4wd. It does donuts ok, but would be much better if the stupid front wheels would stop pulling.

BMFScout
09-08-2008, 03:40 PM
I think I might try to sell it. The body is really clean, I'm thinking I might be able to get a grand for it? I might be dreaming. I think I'll post it on craigslist and see if anyone is interested.

AggieTJ2007
09-08-2008, 03:56 PM
doesn't look half bad if you could figure out how to get it out of 4wd

bburris
09-08-2008, 04:06 PM
doesn't look half bad if you could figure out how to get it out of 4wd

Sounds like a problem for the buyer. :)

Graystroke
09-08-2008, 04:47 PM
the windows will cost someone a grand. maybe $500 $750 if you market it hard before hunting season...I think you could get $1500 if you do what I said and cut it up and paint it real nice!

BMFScout
09-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I priced the windows from a salvage yard at $350. Installing them is another matter, also not my problem.

BMFScout
09-08-2008, 11:52 PM
A steal at twice the price!! I say never underestimate the power of mexicans...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/833456895.html

davido
09-09-2008, 03:51 AM
Classic Jimmy. Nice.

Seth
09-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Where is that thing sitting? Is that Scoutfork?

bburris
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Under the eave on the side of the building at Scoutfork

jerryg79
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Damn jimmy, wolverton got you motivated to make a big purchase?:)

BMFScout
09-09-2008, 10:07 AM
not hardly. just trying to rid my life of **** I'm never going to use. I've got too much ****, prioritize my time for worthwhile **** that makes sense to dump money into...like boats and imaginary 409 motors for imaginary 63 impalas. :gigem: besides, I'm still holding out for you gerald, you aren't married yet!! :rainbow:

BMFScout
09-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Where is that thing sitting? Is that Scoutfork?
nice cover, seth. act like you've never been there,nice. now give me back my ac unit fawker! :flipoff2:

Graystroke
09-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Damn jimmy, wolverton got you motivated to make a big purchase?:)

I thought you were talking about buying an AR or some kind of gun. :p

Jimmy, If -scratch that- When you need a ring...I know a guy.

Gig'em!

BMFScout
09-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Whatever...you can't tie down Jimmy The Hammer!!

BMFScout
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Two calls, neither mexican. I was dissapointed.

Seth
09-09-2008, 04:11 PM
nice cover, seth. act like you've never been there,nice. now give me back my ac unit fawker! :flipoff2:

Nice! I actually laughed-out-loud. I do need to go out there sometime. I will tenatively plan for my maiden voyage there when I get that boat. I don't think you realize how sweet this thing is.

Seth
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
not hardly. just trying to rid my life of **** I'm never going to use. I've got too much ****, prioritize my time for worthwhile **** that makes sense to dump money into...like boats and imaginary 409 motors for imaginary 63 impalas. :gigem: besides, I'm still holding out for you gerald, you aren't married yet!! :rainbow:

I was kinda wondering the same thing, but had a little more faith in ya than anything this soon. I need to purge a few things too, only mine arent worth as much.

I have two truck, and want a scout. Or something that is strictly toy. So which to ditch?!

Fredo
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
anybody want to buy a camaro? :)

BMFScout
09-09-2008, 04:22 PM
one black lady, "What's stuck in low range mean?"

Sharpe
09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
one black lady, "What's stuck in low range mean?"

Salesman's answer. "Its lowered a little bit"

Graystroke
09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
hey seth, we are gonna sell that int'l truck we bought a while back w/ the winch. It's getting new brakes and a new bed first.

BMFScout
09-14-2008, 03:44 PM
SOLD! The burro is destined to be a huntin' buggy.

Nosy neighborhood 3rd grader as we're loading it up:"What happened to your car"
ME: "It got repossessed, that's what happens when you don't make your payments"
3rd grader: "Oh"
Friend of 3rd grader: "What happened"
3rd grader: "It got repopessed"
Friend: "Like you know what that big word means!"
3rd grader: "I do too!!"

I love jacking with the neighborhood ****heads.

Seth
09-14-2008, 04:02 PM
How much?

BMFScout
09-14-2008, 04:18 PM
600 bones, now I'm going to go pay for a generator.