PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Truck, Runner, LC or Tacoma

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
I need to buy a beater. Help me out guys and keep your eyes peeled. Cash available, $4K. Looking for anything within reason at this time.

agjohn02
06-12-2007, 06:53 PM
beater deelux

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7211&highlight=ugly

J Cooper
06-12-2007, 07:17 PM
talk to cj (cj4), i think he has what you need

Sharpe
06-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Talk to me, pictures coming forthwith.

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 07:46 PM
talk to me *****! Post them pics

Sharpe
06-12-2007, 08:02 PM
Here it is, 95 tacoma with V6, 5 speed manual and 4x4. It runs and drives perfect. The interior is clean and the body is very clean. It does have ~217k on it but it starts right up and runs great, I've driven it around a little and used it to move my trailer in and out of the back yard. If you wanna come check it out, give me a call at 361-815-2408. If you wanna come check it out, give me a call at 361-815-2408.

Sharpe
06-12-2007, 08:03 PM

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Damn that suckers in my kinda shape. How did you get it? Why did you get it? and how much you want for it?

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Anybody know what kind of axle swaps well under the toyota trucks BESIDES the 5,000 dollar all pro piece of ****?

I am on the edge right now btw this truck and this 4runner in athens that is in damn fine shape

agjohn02
06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
is it for a trail rig? go with a truck. i think they make better platforms. less sheetmetal you have to cut off. do a toy sas on it, a doubler, and a cage. wheel it hard. i almost did this with the toy truck i had but decided to make money instead.

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Yeah it will be a trail rig, but man I used to love those 1st and 2nd generation runners and it would be cool to have. Yeah it will probably limit me but **** thats a small price to pay!:)

eight
06-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Look up Cody Hughes, Chevsu if he's still on the boards. He was thinking of selling the silver toyota. It was a little over your range but it's in really nice shape and allready has a solid axle, lockers, good 35s, and a nice flatbed as well as front bumper.

agjohn02
06-12-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah, nice truck. you should get it and skip all the building hassle.

uglyota
06-12-2007, 10:08 PM
buy the ugly truck. I even got a new set of springs for it and a tube bed/cage about 80% complete and materials for a ladderbar

FJAggie07
06-12-2007, 10:20 PM
the ugly truck is still for sale? That thread was over a year old...

How much you want for it? And can I see any recent pics of it?

uglyota
06-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Everything's for sale. Still $4k obo

CRaSHnBuRN
06-13-2007, 07:52 AM
Anybody know what kind of axle swaps well under the toyota trucks BESIDES the 5,000 dollar all pro piece of ****?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Any axle can be swapped in. Toy axles are the easiest perhaps because everyone offers a kit to use them.

And just to clear things up, Sharpe's truck is a third gen, not a tacoma, if that matters. It has a 5 speed, which will make it easier to add dual cases, but you will still need to swap out the current chain drive t-case with a gear driven one first. Also, the 3.0L V6 has a tendency to hydrolock when layed on its side. This may not matter, but if this is a straight trail rig and you plan on rolling/flopping alot, you may be better off finding a 22re

CRaSHnBuRN
06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
the ugly truck is still for sale? That thread was over a year old...

How much you want for it? And can I see any recent pics of it?

I don't think there are any recent pics, but if you want to see it, its sitting just off of harvey rd on munson

JeepPhisherman
06-13-2007, 08:03 AM
Look up Cody Hughes, Chevsu if he's still on the boards. He was thinking of selling the silver toyota. It was a little over your range but it's in really nice shape and allready has a solid axle, lockers, good 35s, and a nice flatbed as well as front bumper.

He's selling it, but wanted ~double what he wants to pay.

Chris, I may be getting rid of all my sas crap here soon, so we can talk once you find a truck.

Sharpe
06-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Shows how much I know about yota's. They told me it was a taco...I pass on info.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Shows how much I know about yota's. They told me it was a taco...I pass on info.

he would be better off starting with your truck than a taco. Much more aftermarket support and easier to SAS, plus it just has better lines in my opinion

CJ4
06-13-2007, 09:26 AM

I am on the edge right now btw this truck and this 4runner in athens that is in damn fine shape

that's crazy...my cousin just dropped it off at sharpe's....let me know if you have any other questions and I can get in touch with them...I appreciate your help with storing it Sharpe...i owe you some beer next time i'm in cs

Eckert
06-13-2007, 10:33 PM
http://austin.craigslist.org/car/349031171.html

I can take a look at is sometime his week if you want me to. Im guessing it 15min away from work.

I put up a ad on craigslist and said i was looking for a 89 and older toyota 4x4. i had tons of people contact me and ended up getting my 84 for a grand. i got about $1500 in it all together after tonight.

redcagepatrol
06-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Cody already sold his beater Toyota.

I would look for one that already has some work done to it so you can get right to beating it hard. Get one that has the solid axle work done - and lockers. If you can find one with a doubler that's even better.

Send the time beating it and having fun - not building it so you can beat it, let someone else do all that work...

BTW - the truck componants can withstand an amazing amount of abuse

FJAggie07
06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Alright situation has suddenly changed.

I am thinking about going part of the way in on this truck with my Dad. He needs something to run to and from work for a while, while his cheby is being used for something else. I have found one 92 runner in great shape in Athens for 3 grand that can be used as a daily driver no problem. I am really partial to runners because they were the dream truck for me when i was 14-16. I know I know a truck would make a better wheeler because I can chop off the ass end but I don't really care.

Also Tyler I will email the dude on that 89 runner and see what he wants, I really like those old 2dr body styles and I want to avoid the 3.0 in the 92 and the 95 that is sitting next to sharpe's house.

Damn these things are coming out of the woodwork!

Finally to the Toyota guys out there on the boards, I keep reading on various boards that you have to use a pre 85 toyota front axle on the 85 to 95 trucks, is this true, or is it just the easy route? How hard would it be to swap in a Dana 44 for example, into the 85-95 trucks as opposed to the original toyota axle. I would prefer full width up front and would like to drop a 44 in there so if ya'll know tell me. Thanks!

Eckert
06-13-2007, 11:42 PM
i also know of an 87? 4runner in decent condition with 180Kish miles on it. all original, has some fading paint. only bad thing is its an auto, but still a 22re. its 10min away and i can send you some pics if you want. guys want $2100 but is moving to ohio so he wants it gone. so low ball him.

correct me if im wrong, but isnt it possible to use the IFS parts on a solid axle to widen it a few inches?

redcagepatrol
06-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Finally to the Toyota guys out there on the boards, I keep reading on various boards that you have to use a pre 85 toyota front axle on the 85 to 95 trucks, is this true, or is it just the easy route? How hard would it be to swap in a Dana 44 for example, into the 85-95 trucks as opposed to the original toyota axle. I would prefer full width up front and would like to drop a 44 in there so if ya'll know tell me. Thanks!
You can put any axle under there you want but the cheapest, strongest, lightest, and easiest to build is a Toy axle. You can get all of the shafts with a lifetime guarentee - no matter what tire size for much cheaper than any D44 that you can build. Go to Bobby Longs site and look at the strength chart of his Toy shafts compared to a D60... The mini-truck axle is just the best way to go. Why would you want full width anyways? it's looks ugly on small trucks and is hard to fit down the trail!!! :confused: Most people cut their full width axles down or at least run Hummer rims to keep the rigs looking semi-normal...

CRaSHnBuRN
06-14-2007, 08:06 AM

a toy axle is the easiest because the ifs frame is pretty much the same dimensions as the sas frame, so you just cut the ifs off and add hangers and you're pretty much there. For fullwidth info, look at my buildup thread. That is a fullwidth D60. You just have to build wider hangers and space the shackles. As far as a kit goes, alot of people offer sas kits for toy axles, and sky offers one for fullwidth. For a mild wheeler/street driven rig with up to 38 inch tires, I think the toy axle is the best way to go

CRaSHnBuRN
06-14-2007, 08:07 AM
correct me if im wrong, but isnt it possible to use the IFS parts on a solid axle to widen it a few inches?

yes, you can gain three inches of total width by doing this