PDA

View Full Version : The New DD

Eckert
06-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I bought this 84 with intentions of a wheeler to stop messing up my dodge. well plans have changed since i cant afford to drive it anymore. I bought it for $1000 with a hole in the block, a set of extra american racing wheels and husky toolbox. bought a "rebuilt" engine from an acquaintance for $400. the engine was from an 83, some differences but mostly the same. bought a new clutch, turned flyweel, new radiator. on the list is new A/C pump as the one with it is locked up nd need to weld up an exhaust. still have to get some some small things sorted out but atleast its all together now. seats were already recovered so they look snazzy, rubber foor and manual windows. interior panels look new, rear was turned into a shelf/speaker box, dash is cracked in two spots. I got a pioneer/MB Quart system waiting to be installed. I also need to build a rear bumper(cutting out rollpan), thinking 2x4 steel tubing, tich, lights, and d-rings, and a spare tire carrier for the bed. maybe a front bumper.

anything else i should do? trying to keep it somewhat sane and not go too far.

pics:1. old engine at old home, 2. new home, 3. new home, 4. as of 1 hour ago, 5. old home

close enough to maroon for you boys?

bcolman
06-13-2007, 11:00 PM
looks good, what are you going to do with the dodge?

CRaSHnBuRN
06-14-2007, 07:17 AM
I didn't see if you mentioned sliders, but definitely add those. Pretty simple to build and they are really needed if you do even mild wheeling

If you decide to lift it, let me know and I'll explain how to put together a nice flexing suspension for very cheap. Also, if for some reason you want to replace that cracked dash pad, I have a website bookmarked somewhere with them for cheap. I was going to redo the interior on mine before I decided it wasn't worth it.

savvyaggie
06-14-2007, 07:52 AM
looks good, what are you going to do with the dodge?

x2

JeepPhisherman
06-14-2007, 07:55 AM
x2

You're on a roll!!

savvyaggie
06-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Yeah!!!

Eckert
06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
ive thought about sliders. i might build some later in the summer, but not right away. right now its staying stock height. I think it has a good stance with the 31's on it and if i go any bigger i lose the mpg factor. the tires still have alot of tread left also. Ive also toyed with the idea of locking F&R or maybe just front. i want to keep the street manners as comfortable as possible. so no welding/spool in the rear.

as for the dodge. its pretty much getting parked and maybe driven once a week. plan is to bring both up to CS when i get back. depending on how much i like the toyota, i might just bring it only.

when a tamorite says something is cheap... it has to be. how much and where do i find a dash pad?

my carrier bearings is shot. anyone know where i can find one less than $125?

Thanks

CRaSHnBuRN
06-15-2007, 07:09 AM
ive thought about sliders. i might build some later in the summer, but not right away.

when a tamorite says something is cheap... it has to be. how much and where do i find a dash pad?

my carrier bearings is shot. anyone know where i can find one less than $125?

Thanks

I would do the sliders before you take it out, especially if you keep it stock height, just to keep the body from getting mutilated and not being able to open doors. I think eric learned this when he put some pretty large dents in his truck out at alto.

The dash pad was 50 bucks I think. A little expensive for what it is, but cheaper than most places sell them. I have to see if I still have the site bookmarked on my computer back home.

Carrier bearings in your diff? You would be better off just grabbing a new third member. They normally sell for 50 bucks or less and are not hard to find. As far as the locker thing, toy diffs are cheap and easy to change, so if you're interested in saving cash, try welding up the rear and just see how it handles. If you don't like it, pull it and keep it as a spare and then pony up the cash for a real locker. As for the front, I wouldn't lock it until you ditch the push pull type steering and upgrade your birfs.

Eckert
06-15-2007, 07:44 PM
i figured i might be ok staying stock and locking it. but ill take your advice. Im not going anywhere with it this summer, so i have plenty of time to think about it.

and carrier bearing as in i have a 2 piece rear drive shaft. theres really no bearing left and just a few pieces of rubber.

sasquatch
06-15-2007, 08:15 PM
go to a parts store. i work at advance

CRaSHnBuRN
06-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I may have that part of the driveshaft you need, but I don't know if mine is in any better shape. Best be is to hit the junkyards. Maybe one from a tacoma will work, or if you have to have the driveshaft lengthened and just run it without the bearing

Eckert
06-18-2007, 11:42 PM
i sold the toolbox and rear bumper so i tomorrow im ordering a new carrier bearing, manifold gasket, and other odds and ends.

Im buying a new(er) radiator tomorrow too. so hopefully ill be driving it this weekend. Was there a year change from 2 to 3 core? the one im getting is from an 89 4runner. owner swears up and down the earlier ones were 2 core and this is 3. i really dont care. it looks brand new and he only wants $30.

uglyota
06-19-2007, 08:45 PM
get a header. I have a heddman and it's been worth every penny
also aussie locker for the front and build a new spring pack for the front. Those stock front springs suck. You may be able to get by using rear mains and boomerang shackles with the stock steering if you drill your perches to keep the axle in the same place

Eckert
06-21-2007, 01:41 AM
took all the emissions crap off the engine tonight. I now have about 5% of the vacuum lines i started out with. Built some 1/4" alumium plates for where i took the EGR stuff off the block/intake. still need to make some steel ones for the exhaust manifold. I love computer controlled plamas. Went to go start it and all i got was a loud "click" when i let off the key. taking off the starter tomorrow and see if i cant fix it, if not im buying a new one along with the carrier bearing i need to order.

I also took the seats out so i can hose down the interior sometime this week. should have it driving by this weekend...

Since im a student i can get it inspected in CS come august right? i hope so.

anyone need any EGR/AR/vacuum stiches?

Doug Krebs
06-21-2007, 08:52 AM
who the hell has a cnc plasma?

fbronco86
06-21-2007, 09:28 AM

Cnc plasma's are dumb.

Water Jets are sweet. Yeah they are slower but can pretty much cut just about anything.

Doug Krebs
06-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Cnc plasma's are dumb.

Water Jets are sweet. Yeah they are slower but can pretty much cut just about anything.

You are correct.

fbronco86
06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
You are correct.

Do I get a cookie?

Doug Krebs
06-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Do I get a cookie?

Yes, cut by waterjet, so it's awesome!

jerryg79
06-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Can they cut nose bar?

Sorry I thought we were dropping "cool" terms we learned at work to make ourselves look smart.

Eckert
06-21-2007, 12:15 PM

Where i work; Moto-Pets Accessories, Inc. Ill post pics of it later.

uglyota
06-21-2007, 06:12 PM
took all the emissions crap off the engine tonight. I now have about 5% of the vacuum lines i started out with. Built some 1/4" alumium plates for where i took the EGR stuff off the block/intake. still need to make some steel ones for the exhaust manifold. I love computer controlled plamas. Went to go start it and all i got was a loud "click" when i let off the key. taking off the starter tomorrow and see if i cant fix it, if not im buying a new one along with the carrier bearing i need to order.

I also took the seats out so i can hose down the interior sometime this week. should have it driving by this weekend...

Since im a student i can get it inspected in CS come august right? i hope so.

anyone need any EGR/AR/vacuum stiches?
Don't replace your starter, it's one of 3 problems:
not enough current through the switch-->put a relay in the starter circuit
you didn't hook up enough grounds putting the new motor in-->add grounds
starter contacts are bad-->get new ones for $6 at Toyota and replace them, use google for instructions

BMFScout
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
you accidentally hooked up one of the starter wires to one of random sensors on the intake by mistake, but only dumbasses do that! :)

uglyota
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Dude not even I have done that. Wait did you do that? Dumbass :flipoff2:

Eckert
06-22-2007, 01:01 AM
It runs! I just cleaned all my connections on the starter and battery, reinstalled, and it works like a charm. things are finally coming along. I finally get to start making it my own. first is the rear bumber. what next?

alot of the random sensors are missing too. im down to basics as far as the engine goes.

uglyota
06-22-2007, 07:00 AM
put a relay in your starter circuit anyway. That will keep it from happening again

BMFScout
06-22-2007, 08:16 AM
Dude not even I have done that. Wait did you do that? Dumbass :flipoff2:

No Way!! Welllll......maybe.

Congrats on getting it running, it's a Toyota it doesn't know anything else but to run! (It'll probably run ****ty, but it will run ****ty forever!)

Eckert
06-22-2007, 08:56 PM
put a relay in your starter circuit anyway. That will keep it from happening again

will do. i got plenty of them laying around

I wanted to stay stock. but who really thought that was going to happen

Alright. for bumpers, the rear is going to be a 2x4 1/4in wall square tube with 3/8in brackets. reciever hitch weled through the middle. angled on the ends to match the body lines. im also making sliders out of the same tubing.

as for the front...i really like the design belowand want to mimic it.

Im thinking of moving my rear springs up front and using 52"(?) chevys in the rear. cutting off the traction bar in the front and going to cross over steering.

if i still have any cash left over im going to buy lockers. havent decided which ones yet. but im not going to be a cheap ass and weld the carriers

BMFScout
06-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I don't think I like that big channel piece in the middle. I would do something different there so that you could add a winch later. Other than that it's pimp.

Eckert
06-23-2007, 12:57 AM
I cant find any finished pics of the bumper. But as you can see a winch will fit.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Im thinking of moving my rear springs up front and using 52"(?) chevys in the rear. cutting off the traction bar in the front and going to cross over steering.

if i still have any cash left over im going to buy lockers. havent decided which ones yet. but im not going to be a cheap ass and weld the carriers

the rears up front is a easy way to do it. You will need to add some leaves from another spring pack of some sort (toy, waggy, xj, etc.). Build a new front crossmember/spring hanger. It'll give you a little more lift and keep the pitman arm and springs from hitting, plus allow you to move the axle forward a little more which you will need later when you get larger tires. And of course you will most likely need shocks. I prefer bilstiens or BBCS, but you can get some 14 inch travel procrap ones for really cheap (30 bucks a piece). Then use a set of ford shock towers (25 bucks) to mount them

As for the rear springs, most people use the 63 inch chevy springs, not the 52". I don't think the 52" springs would really gain you anything. Some people really like the way the 63" inch spring flex and ride, some don't. I didn't like them because of how long they were and how much they stuck out in the rear. But if you are not going to bob your bed, it really doesn't matter as you have alot of rear overhang allready

CRaSHnBuRN
06-23-2007, 09:21 AM
so since you're talking about lifting it, are you getting new tires?

Eckert
06-23-2007, 09:08 PM
so since you're talking about lifting it, are you getting new tires?

no, i just wanted a couple more inches or atleast stronger springs to support the weight of the bumpers.

Graystroke
06-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Alright. for bumpers, the rear is going to be a 2x4 1/4in wall square tube with 3/8in brackets. reciever hitch weled through the middle. angled on the ends to match the body lines. im also making sliders out of the same tubing.

seam in or out?

sasquatch
06-24-2007, 02:35 AM

that looks good man. build it how you want it to look.

CRaSHnBuRN
06-24-2007, 09:01 AM
no, i just wanted a couple more inches or atleast stronger springs to support the weight of the bumpers.

okay, but you do know that the rears up front and chevies will yield a fair amount of lift? Look at my 4runner. Rears up front with 3 leafs from a rear waggy pack (spring pack is pretty flat), and a 1 inch drop hanger, with stock f150 springs in the rear. I tried to keep it low (I'm guessing I'm at 3-4 inches of lift), but I could still have run 35-37 inch tires without needing to trim the fenders. 31 inch tires might just end up looking wierd. Another thing to think about is that you really need at least 3 inches of lift in order for everything to clear with crossover style steering.

Maybe if you add some beefy bumpers and stuff it will settle everything back down to only a 2 inches or so of lift. Or perhaps keep your front springs as they are now, but add a longer shackle and a extra leaf or 2 to beef things up, then save the rears for when you are ready to fully lift the thing

Sharpe
06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Screw 63's they are teh ghey. I have em in the rear of pigpen and will be swapping them out for 56's soon to reduce my rear overhang.

Eckert
06-29-2007, 01:06 AM
finally got it all together and drove it around today. soon as i got back home i tore it back apart. now that i have the drivetrain done, im working on the interior. the sound deadening/heat shield, whatever it may be was acting like a sponge and starting eating away at the paint. so im going to sand, prime, and repaint the floorboards. the rear shelf is blue for some stu[id reason. so im recovering that with red/maroon indoor/outdoor carpet and finally putting in my system.

starts up on the first crank now, 22r's rock.

I also bought a newer 3 core radiator. looked brand new. guy wanted $50 but because he was alumni, i got it for $20.

i found some 4x4 square tubing so thats what the rear bumper is going to be made out of. im turning it so its like a diamond with the ends facing up/down/out.

Eckert
07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
progress so far. cleaned up the rust and primed, painted, and cleaned out the entire truck. aldo added an IH tractor muffler until i drive it down to the muffler shop. go cart filter+egr port=CAI.

uglyota
07-02-2007, 11:06 PM
CAI?
Truck looks good. Instead of relying on that flimsy shelf they come with, build something beefier that won't fold when you start hopping

Or build it right so it won't start hopping :D

TexTJ209
07-02-2007, 11:16 PM
CAI?
Truck looks good. Instead of relying on that flimsy shelf they come with, build something beefier that won't fold when you start hopping

CAI = Cold Air Intake. Jeez you're old. :flipoff2:

uglyota
07-02-2007, 11:21 PM
wtf?

TexTJ209
07-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah I dunno. Apparently the fancy intakes they make for vehicles, like K&N's FIPK, are now known as CAI's. I learned this yesterday.

Eckert
07-03-2007, 12:22 AM
CAI?

I was joking with the CAI comment.

As for the rear shelf. the previous owner already tore all the stock stuff out and made a rear shelf out of a 2x12 and new side pieces for speakers.

as of today:

uglyota
07-03-2007, 07:22 AM
aha! I was wondering how much extra air you were planning to pull through there...or how much you were planning to need!

Eckert
07-29-2007, 07:14 PM
well... i need to do something, open diffs with no flex sucks. atleast my carb works good.

extreme poser shots. but you get the idea. the driver rear tire was off the ground.

so opinions. rear locker(something street friendly) or different springs?

DRAGOONRANCH
07-29-2007, 08:57 PM
weld the rear and get new springs w/ the money you save. :D

AggieTJ2007
07-30-2007, 04:16 PM
take a thick leaf out of the rear and add a traction bar. Also welded rear is really nice on the road, it hurts the tires sum but i liked it alot more than the detriot I have now

Sharpe
07-30-2007, 04:47 PM
take a thick leaf out of the rear and add a traction bar. Also welded rear is really nice on the road, it hurts the tires sum but i liked it alot more than the detriot I have now
You just like the attention you get chirping around corners :flipoff2:

Eckert
09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
well i tried to get some owrk done this weekend. all i managed to do is find out i need more parts. My M/C called it quits so im going to get a reman from a later model v6 or a t100(13/16 vs 1" bore). and my carb is fawking up. out of nowhere it wont idle. first i thought the choke was sticking-thats not the problem. it floods out on idle. i can get in and drive it around fine but soon as i come to a stop it will flood and die? when i took it apart i found a bunch of crap in the bowl. but it looks like it has been rebuilt recently. so...

my girlfriend bought me a present and they finally came in today, yay, more work.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/images/rocksliders_250.jpg

Heavy Duty Rock Sliders

Our Rock Sliders feature 1 3/4" X .120 HREW tubing. Each kit includes six pre-notched legs. Pre-notched legs can be cut to length allowing bars to be mounted as far in or out as desired. To install, weld notched end of legs to bars. Cut legs to length and weld to frame. See Installed Photo. PROUDLY made in the U.S.A.!

so now im saving up for a doubler. already have the extra t-case.

FJAggie07
09-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Fawking badass GF!!!

JeepPhisherman
09-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds like you're having bad carb trouble there, might as well just sell the truck to me. You don't want to mess with that chit. I'll even meet you in CS to pick it up.

Eckert
09-25-2007, 10:56 PM
your right, its very tempting to say fawk it and go fuel injection. i wouldnt mind it, but I like the simplicity of the truck the way it sits. you know its about 30 miles NE of you, right? why dont you come fix it for me :flipoff2:

i think my tank is full of debree and needs to be cleaned out, but not with $40 worth of fuel sitting in it. so whenever i get the chance im breaking down the carb and cleaning it and installing a inline fuel filter.

FJAggie07
09-25-2007, 11:09 PM
i think my tank is full of debree and needs to be cleaned out, but not with $40 worth of fuel sitting in it. so whenever i get the chance im breaking down the carb and cleaning it and installing a inline fuel filter.

Aisin carbs so much fun to rebuild... :rolleyes:

Eckert
09-26-2007, 12:16 AM
Aisin carbs so much fun to rebuild... :rolleyes:

they arent that bad. ive rebuilt a couple for FJ40's. with a exploded diagram it should be a breeze.

JeepPhisherman
09-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Let me know when you're going to lay a hand on it. I could use some wrenching time on an older toy.

uglyota
09-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Ooh I know...let Garrett rebuild your knuckles! :flipoff2:

Eckert
09-27-2007, 11:21 AM
i take it thats a bad thing. axles are fine. the only things that are leaking are the oil drain plug and rear t-case output(very little and i think its just from sitting).

JeepPhisherman
09-27-2007, 02:39 PM
He's not talking about me.

Eckert
10-15-2007, 12:29 PM
whats my piece worth as it sits? a few people have showed interest in wanting it and curious to see what yall think. carb will be rebuilt and its getting a supra MC.

uglyota
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
it's worth as much as you can get someone to pay for it, which will probably be about half what you've got in it. ;)
Though you've gotten some good deals on stuff that you put in that truck, so you may make money off it. And a couple of our club's big spenders are in the market :D
Garrett buy this and take it on a trip, Austin needs a maroon yota with a TAMOR sticker

Eckert
10-15-2007, 12:44 PM
it's worth as much as you can get someone to pay for it, which will probably be about half what you've got in it. ;)
Though you've gotten some good deals on stuff that you put in that truck, so you may make money off it. And a couple of our club's big spenders are in the market :D
Garrett buy this and take it on a trip, Austin needs a maroon yota with a TAMOR sticker

im pretty sure i can come out ahead in it. but want enough cash in my pocket to heal the wounds of letting it go.

I would be keeping all of my collected parts for a future project.

garrett is one of many who said he wouldnt mind having it. does the tamor sticker add or depreciate the value :p

*for the record. as of right now im not selling it.

JeepPhisherman
10-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Just park it in my driveway for a while is all I'm asking....

If you get serious about letting it go, let's talk. I've got some **** taking up room in my garage that I need to get rid of as well.

Eric, still looking. I slept on one in Dallas and the damned thing got sold out from under me. Immediate plans for one the day I buy it are to spray bomb it maroon and paint a large, gaudy, white block ATM on the hood and rear quarter and parade it around town.

Eckert
10-15-2007, 01:52 PM
garret, i know of three that have been sitting (two 1st gens and a 84-85 ex cab). i should be able to check on all of them this weekend.

JeepPhisherman
10-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Good deal, check them out for me if you will. I like the rounded lines of the 79-82 trucks, but would like to find something with efi (85 ext. cab or Runner). If I can't I'm just gonna take a page from Ed's book and find a first gen and run the thing on 'pane.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
:gigem:

Eckert
11-29-2007, 12:58 AM
little update.

got the header and full exhaust on. exits right behind cab. i fooled with every bit of the fuel system trying to avoid rebuilding the carb. a rebuild kit in now sitting in the front seat. sliders are still sitting in the corner of my friends shop. new m/c is on, stops good. and radio antenna still broke.

trying to figure out what my next step should be.

im going to weld the sliders on and build a rear bumper when i get home for the break. but while the welder and steel is out i might as well build a front. if im building a front might as well put a winch in it right?

so poll. winch or doubler? its one or the other. i cant afford both. right now im leaning towards selling my parts for the doubler and buying a winch. Warn M8000's and MM e9000's are plentiful on the market right now for $300-400 in good condition(w/ line, fairlead, and controller). think 8000# will be enough?

Reckless
11-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Doubler. Winches can be had later on, but if ya have the doubler, ya wont need a winch as much.

RCcola55
11-29-2007, 02:12 AM
rowdy means well, i do agree a doubler is a better buy at this stage. I really never see myself purchasing a winch, anytime ive been in a situation there has been someone around with one or a vehicle with a strap, but then again maybe i just dont try hard enough

JeepPhisherman
11-29-2007, 09:01 AM
I'd go winch, especially if you're going to be out wheeling it around the farm by yourself, but having said that, I'm doing both.

Doug Krebs
11-29-2007, 09:06 AM
rowdy means well, i do agree a doubler is a better buy at this stage. I really never see myself purchasing a winch, anytime ive been in a situation there has been someone around with one or a vehicle with a strap, but then again maybe i just dont try hard enough

Yeah screw the people that spent the money on a winch! :flipoff2:

Eckert
11-29-2007, 09:36 AM
I'd go winch, especially if you're going to be out wheeling it around the farm by yourself, but having said that, I'm doing both.

thats why i was thinking winch. id would come in handy. i got a few weeks to think about it. until then. i still have the doubler parts.

JeepPhisherman
11-29-2007, 09:43 AM
thats why i was thinking winch. id would come in handy. i got a few weeks to think about it. until then. i still have the doubler parts.

Have you collected anything else besides the case? Do you have a spare topcase shifter by any chance?

BMFScout
11-29-2007, 09:46 AM
I'd do the doubler and keep an eye out for a good deal on a winch. Rednecks are always selling winches. :)

DRAGOONRANCH
11-29-2007, 09:54 AM
and by rednecks, he means methheads :gigem:

Eckert
11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Have you collected anything else besides the case? Do you have a spare topcase shifter by any chance?

buddy has it still in truck. hes going a different route. trying to get it lined up for when i get back. so i just might.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-29-2007, 10:04 AM
I vote doubler also, but don't listen to me. I let Rowdy wrench on my truck, so what do I know???????

:D

Reckless
11-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I vote doubler also, but don't listen to me. I let Rowdy wrench on my truck, so what do I know???????

:D

Hardy har har :flipoff2: It made it to TCC didnt it? On another note, I owe you some bondo for the LSSD.

JeepPhisherman
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
buddy has it still in truck. hes going a different route. trying to get it lined up for when i get back. so i just might.

Eh, just do whatever is easier first. :gigem:

When are you going to come lend me a hand with the truck?

Eckert
11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Eh, just do whatever is easier first. :gigem:

When are you going to come lend me a hand with the truck?

whatever happend to you helping me? ill be back after finals.

JeepPhisherman
11-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Ha, touche! I'll be around town all X-mas except for 3 days or so. I plan on doing quite a bit of work after the first of the year.

uglyota
12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Mc08r

JeepPhisherman
12-06-2007, 09:45 AM
He's talking about not having enough money to do both, so you suggest the most expensive doubler? Nice!

uglyota
12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
not the billet one. It's like $350, if he doesn't get the rotated one he will regret it later

JeepPhisherman
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM
08 is billet aluminum, 07 is standard

JeepPhisherman
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
And FYI, there's a guy selling a dual setup, minus the rear case for $400 that is 23 spline on Texas4x4.

uglyota
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
my bad, mc07r10

Eckert
12-06-2007, 03:32 PM
And FYI, there's a guy selling a dual setup, minus the rear case for $400 that is 23 spline on Texas4x4.

yeah. Edwin. ive worked with him and bought the 22r that currently reside in the '84 from him too.

Eckert
12-06-2007, 03:35 PM
also. im done with this truck. getting my new project this weekend.