PDA

View Full Version : prerunner type light bar

CRaSHnBuRN
08-19-2007, 04:03 PM
I've been seeing these things pop up on more and more rock crawlers lately. I kinda like the idea of having a set of lights up high, yet still protected. My question is how well do you think these things would be able to survive a roll over if the bar was decently built and integrated into a roll cage or exo?

robertf03
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
unless you are getting some super bad ass $1000 lights, why bother? If you roll it plan on eating the cost of 4 ****ty lights.

stay off pirate, those people are hacks. Look at the top of that cage for proof

CRaSHnBuRN
08-19-2007, 05:04 PM
stay off pirate, those people are hacks. Look at the top of that cage for proof

what do mean by that? That rig has wheeled from the PNW to the hammers to moab, and never seemed to have a problem

bburris
08-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe the circle of welded elbows holding the top of the cage together?

CRaSHnBuRN
08-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Maybe the circle of welded elbows holding the top of the cage together?

true, but this rig and several more from that area are running the same little ring, and no failures yet. I'm not saying its thats the best way to do things, but that rig has been wheeled alot, with no problems

colman
08-19-2007, 08:03 PM
couldn't that be a 360 or even 180 bend?

bburris
08-19-2007, 09:02 PM
true, but this rig and several more from that area are running the same little ring, and no failures yet. I'm not saying its thats the best way to do things, but that rig has been wheeled alot, with no problems

Has it been rolled a lot?

AggieTJ2007
08-19-2007, 09:12 PM
they are only cool if you add some linear actuators so you can fold it up and down with a flip of the switch

JB
08-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I like they way they look, but really only useful if running high dollar lights.

davido
08-19-2007, 10:45 PM
They're only really useful if you're running dunes or the front in line. Other than that you're just blinding the guy in front of you.

Doug Krebs
08-19-2007, 11:50 PM
The only place I ever found "spot lights" useful was at llano, but only when I was alone or in front. I'm sure some of the older people remember by cow pusher of a bumper that had 2 kc day lighters and 2 6x9 dick cepek lights. After that bumper got ripped off in Llano, I never put the lights back on.

I could see it useful in the desert or someplace where you were going fast and needed to see far. For our slower paced rock crawling, I think rock lights and flood lights are better suited.

In my opinion they do look kinda cool, but at the same time they look a bit poserish. I've never seen lights like that with their own little cage or maybe I just never paid attention. Obviously that light arrangement needs to be on a vehicle that fits that overall theme.

TxCruzr
08-20-2007, 01:18 AM
how often are you needing to see real far ahead of you? most of the time you are needing to see what is under you and what is a few feet ahead.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Has it been rolled a lot?

from the pics I've seen of it over the last year, its been rolled and flopped several times

bburris
08-20-2007, 07:19 AM
OK, I wasn't questioning you or him, just wondering since I don't surf pirate enough to have ever seen that truck before. If it works it works.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
how often are you needing to see real far ahead of you? most of the time you are needing to see what is under you and what is a few feet ahead.

Depends on the situation. There have been many times I wish I had more light than what the stock headlights and rocklights put out. The buggy was set up to basically see what was just in front and under you, and it sucked for driving around at night at anything faster than a slow crawl. Coming off the trails after dark in clayton was alot of fun because of it. Sure, if there is someone in front of you, there is no reason to have them on, but if you're first in line or by yourself, it would be nice to have the extra light. In my case I think I could make the whole setup removable pretty easily, and just put it on when I think I'm going to need them

CRaSHnBuRN
08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
OK, I wasn't questioning you or him, just wondering since I don't surf pirate enough to have ever seen that truck before. If it works it works.

yeah, I'm sorry if I seem a little touchy. I was pretty drunk and pissed last night when I posted this thread, and now I'm hung over and pissed here at work

tigweld
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
if you are running a windshield and put the lights right on top of the window the glare is horibble. these people got this idea from desert race trucks but they forgot to look a one major thing desert race trucks don't run a windshield. At the back of the cab works way better for a vehicle with front glass.

Sharpe
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Or put them at the front of the roof and get one of those kickass Lund lunar visors!

jerryg79
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Or put them at the front of the roof and get one of those kickass Lund lunar visors!

now that would be something!

BMFScout
08-20-2007, 11:49 AM
bend another piece of tube and sheetmetal it in like a lund visor!

Seth
08-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Man - lundvisor or triple double bed light bar - just cant decide...

jerryg79
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Man - lundvisor or triple double bed light bar - just cant decide...

you can run both, i've seen it done, but you gotta have your balls screwed on pretty tight

Seth
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
One of the guys that works over at barricades, let's just call him al. You might have sseen him around town, he drives a maroon 96ish chevy 3/4 ton. 2 wheel drive, lifted 6-8", discount tire special rims 18" i believe, and sweet wheel spacers. you know cuz it looks better. Inside is even better, with what appears to be homemade stainless replacemnt trim, craptastical stero complete with "tweets", and guages out the wazoo. Well the other day I went over there to steal some gatorade and when I was leaving I saw his sweetest late addition. That's right folks, the homemade drop hitch. Very hippyesque in length, made from two pieces of squaretube. He is a decent welder (or should be) so I am guessing the whole thing would just bend and twist to pieces before the welds let go. A true piece of work. I will see If i can get some pics of this later.

davido
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Is his last name Scotti? :flipoff2: