PDA

View Full Version : Car hauler questions

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
I'll start this thread so I don't snake John's

What do you look for in a good car hauler? I'm planning on buying a trailer by the end of next month, and I'm trying to figure out what best serves my needs. So far this is what I have:

- Brakes on at least one axle

- Wood deck since it doesn't get as hot in the sun and doesn't get slick when its wet.

- A bull dog coupler, preferably 2-5/16"

From there, I'm not so sure.

- To begin, is a 16ft trailer going to be enough for my 4runner (110" wheel base, 40" tires, ~4500-5000lbs)? Edit: this question has been answered in the other thread

- Is a dovetail worth it? I can see it being easier to drive on the trailer without getting the ramps out, but I can also see me dragging it going to the places we wheel.

- What sort of construction as far as the frame and crossmembers is the best?

Is there anything else to watch out for that I'm missing? Any manufacterers to stay away from?

Graystroke
08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
a dove tail is good if you plan on hauling a car as the trailer type name suggest.
I like trailers that have double frame. bracing-closer the better 16"OC, if wood deck make sure it is pressure treated. winch plate is nice. I like jimmy's floor lights. floor storage is good. get a long trailer tongue. I think ours is 5' most are 4'. built in tie downs and some kind of spare mount, good HD trailer tires...not radials

uglyota
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
I really wish I had a flat deck (no rails). Very limited in what work I can do on the rig with it on the trailer (can't remove a wheel).

What I've heard is that channel construction is better than angle. You might not be able to find one without rails that is made with angle. Mine is angle and I have never seen or felt it flex.

Wish I could fit truck tires (245 or 265) on mine. All that mine will fit are like 205 car tires, and I would rather be using used cheap truck tires than car tires (heavier duty).

Finally, I would rather have a longer trailer than 16' for hauling whole joints of tubing, bigger rig if you need to, rig+jobox, etc. Maybe 20'?

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I really wish I had a flat deck (no rails). Very limited in what work I can do on the rig with it on the trailer (can't remove a wheel).

What I've heard is that channel construction is better than angle. You might not be able to find one without rails that is made with angle. Mine is angle and I have never seen or felt it flex.

Wish I could fit truck tires (245 or 265) on mine. All that mine will fit are like 205 car tires, and I would rather be using used cheap truck tires than car tires (heavier duty).

Finally, I would rather have a longer trailer than 16' for hauling whole joints of tubing, bigger rig if you need to, rig+jobox, etc. Maybe 20'?

So far most I've seen have been angle frame, though I did find one earlier in my searching that used channel, but can't remember who it was. If I can afford it I would like to get a longer trailer, but its all dependent on cost. I don't want to cheap out on something like this, but I can't afford to go crazy either.

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
wtf was wrong with the other thread?

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 08:55 AM
a few more questions.

I assume two 3500lb axles will be enough for me?

Also, what other costs are will I be looking at on top of the trailer price (tax, title, license, etc)?

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 08:56 AM
wtf was wrong with the other thread?

he seemed to know exactly what he wanted and just wanted manufacturers. I'm more interested in what to look for in a trailer right now

fbronco86
08-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I dont think there is a need for the 2 5/16 ball. The standard 2 inch is just fine.

I would stay with a 16 or 18. A 20 footer is hard to get around with in the gas stations etc and I had a single cab truck.

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 08:59 AM

x2 This really limited us in our last trailer. Hate those side rails...

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I dont think there is a need for the 2 5/16 ball. The standard 2 inch is just fine.

I would stay with a 16 or 18. A 20 footer is hard to get around with in the gas stations etc and I had a single cab truck.

learn to back up! :flipoff2:

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 09:13 AM

I would like the 2 5/16 simply because the other little trailer I use is that size, so it just means less trouble

Sharpe
08-29-2007, 09:46 AM
Get brakes on both axles, knowing you you will be pulling it with some midsize metro import so you need more braking power. Other than that, as said, no rails and try to find one with the same lug pattern and tire size as your truck so you only need one spare. This will probably not be an option for you because 6 lug trailer axles are typicalls 5200 lb'ers but its a nice thought.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Get brakes on both axles, knowing you you will be pulling it with some midsize metro import so you need more braking power. Other than that, as said, no rails and try to find one with the same lug pattern and tire size as your truck so you only need one spare. This will probably not be an option for you because 6 lug trailer axles are typicalls 5200 lb'ers but its a nice thought.

you do realize I bought a 07 chevy 2500 a few months ago, right?

fbronco86
08-29-2007, 10:43 AM
learn to back up! :flipoff2:

Maybe I can get your mechanic to teach me. :flipoff2:

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Maybe I can get your mechanic to teach me. :flipoff2:

Some of us don't have the place or the time to work on trucks.

I don't want to pull third members, I don't want to set gears, I don't want to work on our 40 for free when I work 60 hour weeks. I want to camp and wheel and get married and if that means going halves paying someone to work on a truck while I live in an apartment and don't have a garage I think I am justified in doing it. Especially if the truck is going to be trail ready in a month compared to getting it done over two years. :gigem:

When you come to the realization that you would rather just have it done, come see me. When your time becomes more valuable to you and you would rather spend the small amount of it with the woman you love, because time is limited, then come talk to me. Until then keep wrenching, keep working and keep on doing what you want :gigem:

Different Strokes for different folks. I love to wheel and camp, I like to wrench. If I wanted to be a mechanic I wouldn't have gone to A&M.

No matter what I grew up on a horse ranch and was towing horses and hay bales to and from vets and land in high school while you were picking your nose thinking about going to your college classes :gigem:

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM
Some of us don't have the place or the time to work on trucks.

I don't want to pull third members, I don't want to set gears, I don't want to work on our 40 for free when I work 60 hour weeks. I want to camp and wheel and get married and if that means going halves paying someone to work on a truck while I live in an apartment and don't have a garage I think I am justified in doing it. Especially if the truck is going to be trail ready in a month compared to getting it done over two years. :gigem:

When you come to the realization that you would rather just have it done, come see me. When your time becomes more valuable to you and you would rather spend the small amount of it with the woman you love, because time is limited, then come talk to me. Until then keep wrenching, keep working and keep on doing what you want :gigem:

Different Strokes for different folks. I love to wheel and camp, I like to wrench. If I wanted to be a mechanic I wouldn't have gone to A&M.

No matter what I grew up on a horse ranch and was towing horses and hay bales to and from vets and land in high school while you were picking your nose thinking about going to your college classes :gigem:

chadnutz, you genius! How did you hack into this guys account?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
You gotta get some tougher skin around these folks. :flipoff2:

Oh, and if you missed the :flipoff2: , :flipoff3:

and you would realise your argument held no merit if you had read this thread

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982 :blackflipoff:

fbronco86
08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
back on to car haulers.

Someone at work said there is a place in spring at 45N and 2920 that sells them pretty cheap and the guy will build what ever your want. I dont have the name of the joint sorry.

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 12:07 PM
back on to car haulers.

Someone at work said there is a place in spring at 45N and 2920 that sells them pretty cheap and the guy will build what ever your want. I dont have the name of the joint sorry.

yeah i think that place is actually past 2920 a little bit. I see mostly goosenecks in his yard though.

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
looks like he has a good selection, they're behind his bldg so you just cant see them from the road. The goosenecks at the front are the only ones i ever noticed.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
hmm, I may check that out

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
One thing I see alot of people overlooking is the tiedowns. Either there are not enough, or the ones that are on there are not strong enough. (this observation comes from dealings w/ people outside of the club so nobody get their panties in a wad) Look at the protection the lights have, the protection/quality of the wiring (especially under the trailer) and x 2 on the treated wood floor. Check to see if the suspension is greasable, if it isn't it's not a big deal but it might give one an edge over another. Check to see what kind of jack it takes, if you can get one w/ a removable you are money ahead as the solid mounts always get bent up, and I do mean always!!The last is how the license plate mounts. This to me is pretty important as I have some pretty rough terrain here at the house and I hate to get stopped for something stupid like not having a lp or it being too fubar'ed to read. It just gives the popo a reason to look at everything else a little closer.

If removable fenders are the only thing holding you up, this should be easy enough to fab up yourself.

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 12:29 PM
http://www.countrysidetrailers.com/contact.html

here's the name of the place.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Mom's newish Texas Bragg is pretty well built fwiw.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I've noticed some people say that the diamond plate fenders are strong enough to drive over. Anyone know if this is true, or if that goes for pretty much any diamond plate fenders?

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 01:13 PM
You gotta get some tougher skin around these folks. :flipoff2:

Oh, and if you missed the :flipoff2: , :flipoff3:

and you would realise your argument held no merit if you had read this thread

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982 :blackflipoff:

I have tough skin but I am allowed to retort logically rather than being a smartass which seems to be lost to this crowd.

2nd, my argument was based on the fact that I am not skilled enough nor have enough patience to spend wrenching because I honestly don't want to go that far.

As far as the woman goes she just helped me install a spacer lift she wanted into her Tundra. She is a trooper and likes to work on trucks BUT the fact is she would rather be wheeling and camping then wrenching and I will appease her. Finding a woman that wants to wrench is a jewel but finding a woman that can put up with me AND wants a Roof top tent for the truck so we can camp more often is pretty damn close to awesome.

Guess I will stick to sarcastic wit from now on... :rolleyes:

mudtoy67
08-29-2007, 01:16 PM
I have tough skin but I am allowed to retort logically rather than being a smartass which seems to be lost to this crowd.

2nd, my argument was based on the fact that I am not skilled enough nor have enough patience to spend wrenching because I honestly don't want to go that far.

As far as the woman goes she just helped me install a spacer lift she wanted into her Tundra. She is a trooper and likes to work on trucks BUT the fact is she would rather be wheeling and camping then wrenching and I will appease her. Finding a woman that wants to wrench is a jewel but finding a woman that can put up with me AND wants a Roof top tent for the truck so we can camp more often is pretty damn close to awesome.

Dude, seriously, relax. :rolleyes:

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 01:20 PM

thanks, it looks like they sell pace trailers

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 01:23 PM
thanks, it looks like they sell pace trailers

and parker performance, apparently also out of mt pleasant.

BMFScout
08-29-2007, 01:32 PM

I was going to tell you earlier that your views are what separates you from a real car guy, but I let it go. Then I come back from lunch and see that you are arguing with yourself. So if you are in an arguing mood, that is my view.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 01:43 PM

oops, that what I meant. I wonder why so many of these trailer builders are out of the same area?

robertf03
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
first page

agjohn02
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM

oops, that what I meant. I wonder why so many of these trailer builders are out of the same area?

im from there and i have no clue. lots of messicans maybe?

they are my favorite. mainly b/c im friends with parker and he is a crazy sob.

i base my opinion of big tex trailers on how rich ricky baker is. they must be very very good b/c he is very very rich. he's got the only scarab ive ever seen and it was on lake bob sandlin.

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 02:54 PM
Dude, seriously, relax. :rolleyes:

Why does everyone insist on taking emotion from typed words? The only people that disagree with me here are the supposed Ol' Ags on this board that I have yet to meet. I am more than relaxed, simply typing out a response. Just because a response is more than 5 words doesn't mean it is heated. My lack of smilies is because I just forget to click them.

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Trailors our awesum!

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
Why does everyone insist on taking emotion from typed words? The only people that disagree with me here are the supposed Ol' Ags on this board that I have yet to meet. I am more than relaxed, simply typing out a response. Just because a response is more than 5 words doesn't mean it is heated. My lack of smilies is because I just forget to click them.

let this **** go or move it to a different thread okay?

JeepPhisherman
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
You could cut the pent-up sexual attraction with a knife between these guys!!

BMFScout
08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
im from there and i have no clue. lots of messicans maybe?

they are my favorite. mainly b/c im friends with parker and he is a crazy sob.

i base my opinion of big tex trailers on how rich ricky baker is. they must be very very good b/c he is very very rich. he's got the only scarab ive ever seen and it was on lake bob sandlin.

Name Dropper!! :flipoff2:

BMFScout
08-29-2007, 03:38 PM

fawk yo reduntant ass thread!!!! :flipoff2: ;)

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I just got a quote from them on a 18 ft they have in stock. I'm still waiting to hear more info on it and what kind of options it has, but I was quoted $2300 and that seems pretty high for a wood deck trailer to me

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 03:40 PM

no ****. Since he's such good friends with these guys maybe he can get us some deals :D :flipoff2: :D

Jackasic
08-29-2007, 03:45 PM
brakes on both axles is a bad idea. you will end up with square tires from the second braking axle. Also 2 5/8 is more that you need for that trailer, heck i bet no one even makes it that way. two inch will serve all your needs.

Seth
08-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Yeah I was wondering about 2 and 5/16" why do you think its so important sharpe?

eight
08-29-2007, 04:11 PM
I've noticed some people say that the diamond plate fenders are strong enough to drive over. Anyone know if this is true, or if that goes for pretty much any diamond plate fenders?

Depends how thick they are. I've seen some where people reinforced the fenders. Would probably do that just to make sure you won't mess them up. Use some 1/4 x 2 x 2 angle on the top inside corner.

Just get a cheap 16' car hauler. Remount the plate and replace the lights with LEDs. If the trailer has rubber mounted normal lights, the kind that go in cutouts, you can leave those on. They last very well. The cheap $25 walmart light setup many trailers use suck. Make sure it has new tires. I have started a new policy of trailer wiring where I run a ground wire to every light, eliminates ground problems. Also started using extension cords for the wires because of the double insulation. Solder and heat shrink every connection. Light problems are for suckers.

FJAggie07
08-29-2007, 04:15 PM

gawsh dammmmt :D

Go to Canton, Tx, buy a Big Tex or Legend Trailers 20' Car Hauler with a 2 5/8" ball, 5' neck, bull nose hitch, dual axles and a dove tail. You don't need heavier duty axles for one truck, even if it does have one ton's under it.

There you happy? :flipoff2:

eight
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Yeah I was wondering about 2 and 5/16" why do you think its so important sharpe?

He's just concerned about the rating. A 2" ball is used on a 7,000 lb trailer all the time, but most 2" balls and hitches are only rated for 5,000 lbs. You can get bulldog hitches rated to 8000 lbs in 2", and a 2" ball rated for 10,000 lbs, they're just not common.

I've never seen or heard of a failure.

BMFScout
08-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Remount the plate and replace the lights with LEDs. If the trailer has rubber mounted normal lights, the kind that go in cutouts, you can leave those on. They last very well. The cheap $25 walmart light setup many trailers use suck. Make sure it has new tires. I have started a new policy of trailer wiring where I run a ground wire to every light, eliminates ground problems. Also started using extension cords for the wires because of the double insulation. Solder and heat shrink every connection. Light problems are for suckers.

Probably the best tech ever out of Kopecki! :gigem:

CheapJeep
08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

My dad bought his 20ft utility trailer from them in 2000. It's heavy duty with 5200 lb 8 lug axles with brakes and has held up ok considering how much he uses or rather abuses it. We've had to replace the inner fenderwells a couple of times and numerous taillights/wiring. Also added a receiver hitch to use the winch. The main problem I've noticed is that the paint didn't hold up well and is now rusting. Then again it has been used alot, weathered, and is 7 years old so maybe it's time for a resto.

About two years ago he bought a single axle 12' trailer from them and it has held up great. I know they've made a ton of improvements to their shop/business since we bought the first trailer from them and I would definitely say their quality is better.

Seth
08-29-2007, 04:48 PM
The extension cord idea i like alot. don't know if its always needed, but def something to keep in mind.

kopeckis right about one other thing for sure - light probs are for suckers.

CRaSHnBuRN
08-29-2007, 05:33 PM
He's just concerned about the rating. A 2" ball is used on a 7,000 lb trailer all the time, but most 2" balls and hitches are only rated for 5,000 lbs. You can get bulldog hitches rated to 8000 lbs in 2", and a 2" ball rated for 10,000 lbs, they're just not common.

like I said, 2" is fine for me as far as strength. Its just that we already have a trailer with a 2-5/16" hitch, so its more for ease of use, but not necessary

jerryg79
08-29-2007, 05:54 PM
There's another place betw louetta and 2920 on Kuykendahl that i saw today, trailer man or something like that, i'll try to get a # tomm. They had 3-4 car haulers in stock from what i saw.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 06:04 PM
We have a problem here on the ranch w/ coons and cows eating any exposed wiring. I learned at an early age how to rewire trailers as I did it just about every year on our hay trailer. :)

Sharpe
08-29-2007, 07:24 PM

Exactly. My trailer has a 10400 lb load rating but the F'ing hitch on it is only rated for 5000 lbs. That makes sense... I have one of those three ball hitches and the 2" ball is rated for 6k so that makes me feel a little better but with pigpen loaded I am at least 7k in truck and trailer weight.

Ed, on a little 10' jalopy trailer I have the boyscouts that built it (seriously, my dad bought it from a boyscout fundraiser) put the wiring in counduit :laughing: :laughing: It has never had any light problems... Just food for thought

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Every year I tell g-pa to keep it out of the pasture when he parks it, but he never listens. I guess he likes keepin me busy. All our stuff is run through some sort of pipe, but none of it is completely covered (like where it drops to the brakes and comes up to the taillights). I never had good access to loom before, so most everything gets loomed now and that seems to cure most of it.

Seth
08-29-2007, 08:01 PM
sharpe has found the trailer that weighs nothign!

agjohn02
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM

bob gooseneck still owes me ten bucks!!!

DRAGOONRANCH
08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
Nice try, but the Carabas are a decent family. I used to show cattle w/ them in hike skool.

BMFScout
08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
bob gooseneck still owes me ten bucks!!!

Vic, you sunuvagun!!!

Sharpe
08-30-2007, 10:50 AM
sharpe has found the trailer that weighs nothign!
??

DRAGOONRANCH
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
He is sayin pigpen needs to go on a diet (You said the truck and trailer weigh only 7k IIRC)

jerryg79
08-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Every year I tell g-pa to keep it out of the pasture when he parks it, but he never listens. I guess he likes keepin me busy. All our stuff is run through some sort of pipe, but none of it is completely covered (like where it drops to the brakes and comes up to the taillights). I never had good access to loom before, so most everything gets loomed now and that seems to cure most of it.

if coons are eating the wires, try not parking it next to the watermelon patch. :gigem:

Seth
08-30-2007, 01:31 PM
sharpe said his trailer has a 10400 lb load rating. this i assume is from the two 5200 lb rated axles. so i would assume the load rating to be 10400 - the weight of the trailer. lets just say its a thousand pounds. that would leave 9400 pounds that the axles can hold until they reach there limit. this doesnt even take into account the fact the the axles arent always evenly loaded, so it might be a good idea to leave a bit of cusion in your load so that when one axle has more than its "half" its not beign overloaded. Unless they have a lower rating for the axles when used in tandem, eg the same axle in single application is rated for 5500 pounds.

done.

funny thing is - sharpe walked by when i started this post, so weve had an entire discussion about his work schedule to boot. he didnt seem interested in trailer talk.