PDA

View Full Version : warn winch problem

colman
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
my 5k winch solenoid is busted up i think. I used it a while ago to pull myself out of a hole and the second i got out it stopped working(good timing). it will let line out but not pull any in so i'm guessing that the in solenoid is bad. can anyone steer me in the direction of determining if the solenoid is good or if ther is anything i can do to getit to work again

Sharpe
09-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Unbolt it from the other solenoids and test it...

If you get new ones I would get em from Warn, they are pricey but I hear they last much longer than aftermarket crap.

colman
09-10-2007, 07:34 PM
ive heard that you can just use a starter solenaid from the parts store. is this substantiated. if so i will put the good old one on the pull side and the new non warn one on the release side i guess

bburris
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
That's the cheaper route, but it won't last long since those are made for momentary work and a winch needs one that can run continuously. There should be info on Pirate about an interchange part number that is on the shelf at NAPA but I don't remember what the application is. I remember something goofy like a golf cart or something, but I've slept a lot since reading that.

colman
09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
if i use it on the line out function then i should be ok i guess. that would only be used to take tension off of the line and minor small adjustments. the line in would get the good warn one. thanks for the help

agjohn02
09-10-2007, 10:50 PM
substantiated

im so proud of you andrew :tear:

Doug Krebs
09-11-2007, 08:51 AM
switch the wires coming out of the solenoid pack that goto the motor. I'm not sure how yours is configured, but I know how to do it on mine. I've done that in an emergency. It's also helpful to diagnose problems.

colman
09-11-2007, 05:00 PM
well the solenoids started working for just enough time today to get the cable in then died again. i called warn and they helped me test them and i ordered 2 @18 bux each. at that price i just bought them instead of getting cheap starter solenoids