PDA

View Full Version : Powedercoating

JeepPhisherman
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Anybody had anything powder coated around town? I'm looking at picking up some running boards for the Tundra, but they are polished stainless, which I don't like. I just want them satin black. I'd thougth about just painting, but it'll chip off fairly quick from the sound of all the rocks hitting my truck when I pull off the site.

I've only been able to find 1 powder coating company here in Austin, and they quoted $150-200 for the ~7' long boards, which seems kind of pricey to me, maybe not.

agjohn02
09-25-2007, 10:06 PM
theres a place in navasota that has some affiliation with the club. someone else can elaborate im sure.

Reckless
09-25-2007, 10:09 PM
For powder coating, that really aint bad

JeepPhisherman
09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Honestly I have no idea what it should cost, that just seemed expensive. For that price I could just get them Line-X'd.

Eckert
09-25-2007, 11:02 PM
there is a place in hutto. let me find out their # and ill get back with you.

BIGJIMMY
09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
there was a place in cedar park (north of austin) called akin powdercoating, they suck and they shouldnt be in business. My bro went to them first and they screwed his stuff up, so he went to the guy in hutto, pretty sure there is only one guy in hutto, and they did a really good job. So try the guy in hutto. I dont know what his name is tho...

TxCruzr
09-25-2007, 11:42 PM
Honestly I have no idea what it should cost, that just seemed expensive. For that price I could just get them Line-X'd.

I would look into the line-x. I had my bed sprayed with it over the summer and really like it. The powdercoat on my brushguard has already rubbed through from bump gates where as I've know people that have their's line x'd and it holds up much better. Also, my stupid nerfbars the truck came with are powdercoated and the bottom side is flaking from rocks. Luckily they'll be getting refinished thanks to the stupid biya that hit my truck and then getting sold :gigem:

CheapJeep
09-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Get them line-x'd, rhino line'd, or whatever. My dad line-x'd alot of the exterior stuff on his truck. It looks good and holds up really well.

JeepPhisherman
09-26-2007, 07:55 AM
My only problem with Line-X is the stuff turning gray after a couple years.

I've got to get the things here from Whale's Vagina, CA here first, then I'll figure out what to do and how much I want to spend.

Tyler, let me know if/when you find that guys number.

TxCruzr
09-26-2007, 08:28 AM
most of the spray in liners that have turned colors and looked like crap that I've seen have been rhino. Line-x also has some new additive that you can have added that is warrantied against fading.

JeepPhisherman
09-26-2007, 09:16 AM
For $150.

william_ace
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
scholars maintain it was lost in traslation

tedmen1123
09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
There is a place in bryan called Texas Truck Riggins. They do powdercoating. Im not sure if they are any good I just saw the sign in the store. Its all the way down S. college. Cross Villa Maria and its across from the Golf course on the right side of the street.

JB
09-27-2007, 08:58 AM
Texas Custom Coaters in Navasota. They did my axles and did a good job. I can not remember his name, but he sometimes comes to the meetings. He used to drive a YJ with a 4.3

BMFScout
09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
David Keeling or Keelan or whatever. Tell that sum***** he owes me 5 bucks...errrr something.

BajaBob
09-27-2007, 09:23 AM
it took me a weekend to roll on some herculiner in the tub of my jeep. i really like how it turned out, just cut my own mats out of that rubber stuff they sell out side of t.s. cost about 80 bucks a gallon and i had a lot left over.

chicks dont dig the smell, but its got little bits of rubber and electrolights so you know its good.

Reckless
09-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Herculiner blows! Line-x is the ****. Had herculiner in my jeep. Took over a gallon. Then the **** peeled like a sunburn. And it was prepped correctly, with a sandblaster and 50grit sand paper. Went and had it redone in line-x. Even a torch wont take it off.

FJAggie07
09-27-2007, 09:39 AM
Rowdy be nice to booby.

And I agree Herculiner sucks donkey balls. I prefer Durabak.

BajaBob
09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
how much did the linex cost ya?

Eckert
09-27-2007, 11:10 AM
all liners suck and can be torn up. ive personally witnessed line-x, rhino, superliner(what i have) all get peeled up. loading a chest freezer comes to mind.

I did the floor of my toyota in some $7 can duraliner. i think i used 4 cans total. i preped the floor and sprayed on two coats. did its job in my opinion.

ill get you the guy's number in hutto this afternoon. He does badass work. looks like a hippy too. it should be less than $100 for powdercoating.

TexTJ209
09-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Herculiner blows! Line-x is the ****. Had herculiner in my jeep. Took over a gallon. Then the **** peeled like a sunburn. And it was prepped correctly, with a sandblaster and 50grit sand paper. Went and had it redone in line-x. Even a torch wont take it off.

Yes. **** herculiner.

Seth
09-27-2007, 12:42 PM
If i pushed a cooler in the bed of my truck and my 300= dollar liner peeled up Id be pissed. Real pissed. Like redo it for free and gimme something for free pissed.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-27-2007, 01:03 PM
If i pushed a cooler in the bed of my truck and my 300= dollar liner peeled up Id be pissed. Real pissed. Like redo it for free and gimme something for free pissed.

I think he was talking about a deepfreeze, but it doesn't mean I wouldn't be super pissed too. :mad:

RCcola55
09-27-2007, 01:56 PM
herculiner is the **** if done right i.e. not done by rowdy, but for exterior parts ide go with line-x or superliner which is the only one on the market that can be sprayed smooth and is 100% rubber

robertf03
09-27-2007, 02:10 PM
Is powder coating really that much tougher than a good automotive chassis paint sprayed with a gun?

do that, and skate board tape

TxCruzr
09-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Rowdy be nice to booby.

And I agree Herculiner sucks donkey balls. I prefer Durabak.

it's the same stuff ;)
When I did my cruiser back in the day, I was calling it a "science project" to see what do it yourself linear held up the best and called around trying to get free samples. Both hurculiner and durabak agreed they had the same stuff and sent me product info showing the same thing. If you do enough prep they work pretty good but I would never use it on a nice vehicle or on the outside.

FJAggie07
09-27-2007, 02:35 PM
no ****. must have been the variance in the prepping on the two jobs... Oh well get it professionally done with Line-X :gigem:

Reckless
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
linex $300

AggieTJ2007
09-27-2007, 05:02 PM
ive got rino or line-x in the Ford, I really like and **** doesn't slide around like it doesn in the bed of the Dodge, rememinds to take out the cooler and the battery though

J Cooper
09-27-2007, 06:14 PM
running boards are gay unless your a chick or fat

JeepPhisherman
09-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Truck's tall and I don't want to **** up my leather sliding in and out of the truck.

To each his own.

JeepPhisherman
09-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Line-X guy said he would do my running board for me while he was doing my bed for $100 extra. I think I can talk him down some more. ****'s still 'spensive.

J Cooper
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
leather, fancy. i drove one of those trucks... i was actually thought those trucks were extremely low to the ground.

you must **** money for only working like 2 months.
buying a new truck straight out of college is one of the worst things you can do.

i know i did but i really wish i didnt have to do it, i also drove a 83 toyota that i paid cash for it, i also didnt get anything fancy at all. but like you said to each his own.

JeepPhisherman
09-27-2007, 10:18 PM
Haven't we already had this conversation? I do indeed **** money, as well as wipe my ass with it.

Leather was cheap and it's the only way I am going to keep the truck clean. The whole interior is covered with gyp dust that would normally be ground into the fabric seats by now.

uglyota
09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Garrett was sh!tting money 2 months before he started working :flipoff2:

william_ace
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
come on coop you had that 4 runner that probably would have lasted a little longer if you really wanted it to.

JeepPhisherman
09-27-2007, 10:23 PM
You shut up.

J Cooper
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
whats gyp dust?

im just ****ing with you anyways, id love to have your exact truck, i just think it would make me sick to pay that bill every month at this point in my life.

for some reason i thought these trucks came with spray in bed liner... or is that a new factory option.... or am i smoking crack? have you used that bed rail system at all?

jerryg79
09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
this thread is the influence for coop's sig line.

uglyota
09-27-2007, 10:26 PM
the yota bed rail system kicks ass. At least the one in Lynda's taco does. Garrett didn't I post some BS in Eckert's thread about making you rebuild his axle, then it disappeared? And I apologize, but I was really enjoying your threads about buying 2,000 sf houses with garages in socal:flipoff2:

uglyota
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
coop gyp dust is dust from sheetrock aka gypsum board aka drywall

J Cooper
09-27-2007, 10:28 PM
come on coop you had that 4 runner that probably would have lasted a little longer if you really wanted it to.

***, it looked good but there is no way in hell it would have lasted in houston, it had 170,000 miles and there was something wrong with the rear axle or something when i drove it on the highway... plus the rear tire almost fell off twice, i drove it there twice and then once to corpus and i said **** i need to pawn this thing off, so i went in to the toyota dealership looking for old tacomas and got a killer deal ( like $6k off this list price) on a new tundra cause they wanted them off the lot for the 07s and then they wanted to give me like $1k for the 4runner so i stood up and said thanks but no thanks....

so they gave me $4200... which is what i paid for it :gigem:

J Cooper
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
this thread is the influence for coop's sig line.
:D

FJAggie07
09-27-2007, 11:15 PM
Garrett was sh!tting money 2 months before he started working :flipoff2:

He's canadian rich. livin large!!!

BajaBob
09-27-2007, 11:47 PM
waterproof seat covers. leather is for suits, and desk jobs.

FJAggie07
09-28-2007, 12:03 AM

You obviously haven't met Garrett have you?

BajaBob
09-28-2007, 12:14 AM
why? does he have powdercoated seats? intense

FJAggie07
09-28-2007, 07:04 AM
why? does he have powdercoated seats? intense

:rainbow:

jerryg79
09-28-2007, 08:12 AM

so you're saying you wear a leather suit. Hey man whatever you're into i guess, who am it to judge. BRING OUT THE GIMP!

JeepPhisherman
09-28-2007, 08:41 AM

By definition my job is a desk job.

And I just gained a new respect for the design architect on this W job. I was over there this morning checking out the hot artsy chicks and picking up some drawings when I saw a bottle of Jim, a handle of Sky and a bottle of Jose in their ****ing break room! (Along with some other **** one of the partners brought back from Romania and Czecklesslewhateverokia) I inquired, and turns out, they have in-office happy hour every Friday at 4:00. I officially made the announcement that I stop working at 3:55 every Friday from this point forward.

JeepPhisherman
09-28-2007, 08:45 AM
the yota bed rail system kicks ass. At least the one in Lynda's taco does. Garrett didn't I post some BS in Eckert's thread about making you rebuild his axle, then it disappeared? And I apologize, but I was really enjoying your threads about buying 2,000 sf houses with garages in socal:flipoff2:

Yea, I didn't think you were talking about me though.

And I wasn't talking about socal, only dooshes live down there. I was looking for some place around placerville. Then I realized that what they were offering to pay me out there would barely pay for the size place I'm living in right now.

JeepPhisherman
09-28-2007, 08:49 AM
whats gyp dust?

im just ****ing with you anyways, id love to have your exact truck, i just think it would make me sick to pay that bill every month at this point in my life.

for some reason i thought these trucks came with spray in bed liner... or is that a new factory option.... or am i smoking crack? have you used that bed rail system at all?

The truck payment is pretty damn small. I got top dollar for my Tacoma and I've had some money for a car fund invested for the past few years, so the truck is more mine than the banks already.

Spray in liner isn't an option. I was going to have Atkinson do it, but all they would offer if rhino, and I didn't want that chit.

Don't have the bed rail system yet, waiting on someone to ditch theirs on another forum before I pick one up.

JeepPhisherman
09-28-2007, 08:50 AM

Ones that don't fit like chit would have cost more than what I paid for the leather.

Reckless
09-28-2007, 09:25 AM
I have leather in my truck and I mechanic for a living. But I got Wet Okle seat covers because of a misplaced pair of pliers.

Doug Krebs
09-28-2007, 09:26 AM
and I mechanic for a living.

you don't say :flipoff2:

Reckless
09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Dougie, i was trying to prove a point. Ya dont have to be uber-rich and drive a beamer to have nice interior in a vehice.

BajaBob
09-28-2007, 09:39 AM
By definition my job is a desk job.

And I just gained a new respect for the design architect on this W job. I was over there this morning checking out the hot artsy chicks and picking up some drawings when I saw a bottle of Jim, a handle of Sky and a bottle of Jose in their ****ing break room! (Along with some other **** one of the partners brought back from Romania and Czecklesslewhateverokia) I inquired, and turns out, they have in-office happy hour every Friday at 4:00. I officially made the announcement that I stop working at 3:55 every Friday from this point forward.

not bad, an internship i had this summer did the same thing every time we got a new customer. but we got beer. gotta love startup companies, no one cared.

I have leather in my truck and I mechanic for a living. But I got Wet Okle seat covers because of a misplaced pair of pliers.

man, those are nice seat covers. i really want to get a pair of those.

Seth
09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
my aunt always got leather in her suburbans, bc other wise her 4 kids (mainly 3 sons) would stink up the cloth interior with sweaty ass.

DRAGOONRANCH
09-28-2007, 05:28 PM
you don't say :flipoff2:

Why do you think he is so skinny.... :flipoff3: