PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket car stereo in a later model chevy?

uglyota
10-09-2007, 07:39 PM
This is real hardcore tech, I know, but have any of you guys put an aftermarket stereo in place of the stock one in a later model chevy that came stock with the large-faced head unit? Is there an install kit to do it so that it doesn't look like crap? The pickings are slim for aftermarket head units that size. TIA

DRAGOONRANCH
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Yeah, the adapter kit should come with a plate that will take up the space that the new unit does not. Go by a stealership and you should be able to get the pins to pull the oem unit out from them.

robertf03
10-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Have you thought about looking for a headunit from a truck with more options? I've never seen a spacer/adapter kit that is pleasing to the eye

jerryg79
10-09-2007, 07:57 PM
holy jeez eric even i can do this.

uglyota
10-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Flem thanks for confirming my suspicion
Jerry I know how to do it and think I may even be capable of installing a kit :flipoff2:. The main issue is if a kit exists that doesn't look like ass. Maybe a big glovebox to cover the whole spot and put the new head unit where the CD player is?

agjohn02
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
only highschool kids replace the factory chevy radio with a DIN. its a good head unit itself.

JB
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
only highschool kids replace the factory chevy radio with a DIN. its a good head unit itself.

agreed, it is a good unit.

yours is a 1.5 DIN right? The 1.5DIN aftermarket stuff looks much ****tier thatn putting in a single DIN aftermarket unit though IMO

uglyota
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Yeah but half the lights are burned out and I'm pretty sure my last one only sent bass to the right speaker, and only treble to the left. That's after replacing the speakers with aftermarket

BroncoJo
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
get a touch screen that fills up the whole space and fits flush, thats the only way way to make it look good IMO.

DRAGOONRANCH
10-09-2007, 09:57 PM
$$$, but probably worth it.

uglyota
10-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I honestly thought about it, but I'm not sure I trust myself to watch wheeling, skiing, or MTB videos while I drive :D

BroncoJo
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
A buddy just put one in his 07 f150 and it ran him about $700. Thats too much if you ask me but it does look good (coming from someone who thinks screens are dumb as hell).

uglyota
10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
$700 eh, they are now officially off my radar

BroncoJo
10-09-2007, 11:57 PM
that was at wholesale cost too

Seth
10-10-2007, 12:37 AM
eric - lok around for kits. there are def some that look better than others. what do you guys mean by the stock stereos being good head units? they are as good or bad as any stock stereo. the features (like rca outputs) seem to be the incentive for aftermarket.

uglyota
10-10-2007, 02:58 PM
They also don't have aux input on the front nor do they play mp3s. I was just hoping someone would have a picture of one of the kits installed

jerryg79
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
on dodge stereos you can get a deal that plugs into the cd changer input on the back of the stereo that makes it into a head phone jack. This is how i have my ipod and xm hooked up. Maybe chevy has something similar?

Fredo
10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Hippy, what year tahoe did you end up buying?

bburris
10-10-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll try to find a picture of the radio I had in my old Ford. It mounted the radio in the upper portion of the opening and there was a little pocket on the bottom that you could stick stuff (pen, notepad, mail, etc.) in. It wasn't much, but it looked a lot better than having just plastic all around the faceplate.

BroncoJo
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Heres mine.

I'll get a picture of my buddys touch screen later.

edit- I hat the way they stick out.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-10-2007, 04:15 PM
on dodge stereos you can get a deal that plugs into the cd changer input on the back of the stereo that makes it into a head phone jack. This is how i have my ipod and xm hooked up. Maybe chevy has something similar?

Did you get it from dodge or somewhere else? I need something like that that will plug into the back of my stock radio (AM/FM, no CD or cassete).

uglyota
10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
Feller Crutchfield's has a pigtail like that for my truck. Fits in between the factory pigtail and the factory stereo. It's like $140 though.
That adapter looks fine, if I can get it in matching tan. Another pocket would be nice.
Fred I got a 98. It's black :(
98 was definitely a year with intake issues, right? Gonna head to the dealer and pick up a gasket and a fuel pump for when that goes out (111k and never been replaced. I figure mine's got 14k tops left on it, probably less, since the fuel filter looked original)

jerryg79
10-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Did you get it from dodge or somewhere else? I need something like that that will plug into the back of my stock radio (AM/FM, no CD or cassete).

i got the part # off tdr and it cost me like $15. THe chevy's might have rca jacks on the back, but i doubt they would be that logical.

I'll see if i can dig up the website.

jerryg79
10-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Feller Crutchfield's has a pigtail like that for my truck. Fits in between the factory pigtail and the factory stereo. It's like $140 though.
That adapter looks fine, if I can get it in matching tan. Another pocket would be nice.
Fred I got a 98. It's black :(
98 was definitely a year with intake issues, right? Gonna head to the dealer and pick up a gasket and a fuel pump for when that goes out (111k and never been replaced. I figure mine's got 14k tops left on it, probably less, since the fuel filter looked original)

yes 98 had intake issues.....

TMatheaus
10-10-2007, 05:58 PM
if you order a head unit from crutchfield they will give you an install kit, which includes a pigtail and the adapter plate for free, i know when i orderded my head unit from them, the adapter plate they sent me was made out of metal not plastic

jerryg79
10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/

here is the website, i looked at my old email from them and it was $70 for it but it was well worth it.

i think that went from cd changer input to rca jacks and i had to buy another adapter for $15 to go from rca to head phone. You can probably find that cheaper on cables-to-go or some place like that, but I needed it all asap then and i was nigga rich.

uglyota
10-10-2007, 06:02 PM
My old truck had RCA jacks under the driver's seat. I always figured it was not stock but I kinda think my tahoe has them in the same place, I'll check.
Tommy what kind of vehicle was that kit for?

4-Banger
10-10-2007, 06:05 PM
What if you just installed a regular faceplate and lined the inside of the gap with something to match the dash? Then you could have a little storage compartment under your radio.

TMatheaus
10-10-2007, 06:18 PM
i have ordered head units from them, i think the only steel ones were for my ford and my brothers ford truck, but they have all have came with the adapter and harnesses, the other ones were for a 01 ford ranger and the other a 03 chevy s10

the wire harness makes it nice b/c you dont have to cut and splice into the factory side

Seth
10-10-2007, 07:01 PM
only canadians dont use harnesses. if they are already cut, put a reverse harness on.

JB
10-10-2007, 10:35 PM
A buddy just put one in his 07 f150 and it ran him about $700. Thats too much if you ask me but it does look good (coming from someone who thinks screens are dumb as hell).

You will pay alot more for a good one. I did. Mine sits flush and look factory. GPS is awesome and it does alot more, including DVDs, Siruis, blah blah blah.
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/421018/fullsize/img_0363.jpg

FOr a 98 Chevy, get a single DIN and the regular install kit. It really doesnt look bad. I have seen 1.5 din Pioneer setups in 95-99 Chevys and it looks really dumb.

uglyota
10-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I can't believe that's aftermarket John, that looks bad ass! Yeah I think I will just go with a good single DIN and an install kit, if I can find one in tan

TMatheaus
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
just spray paint it

uglyota
10-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I intentionally chose the least rigged vehicle I could find in my price range. This vehicle will not be receiving the spraybomb treatment

TxCruzr
10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
The factory unit is nice, when I got mine it still had the plastic film covering the glass so it looked brand new after 8 years. Does suck they don't play mp3s though, which is the main reason I pulled mine out and put the headunit in the cruiser in the truck. I picked up the install kit from circuit city and the border around the faceplate actually matches and fits it pretty well with the rest of the dash. There was a piece you are supposed to put on as a 1/4" spacer that I forgot so the face plate is actually sitting flush with the dash and looks good. It's a '99 so I don't know how the dash/stereo differs. It's at the body shop this week otherwise I'd get a pic.

jerryg79
10-11-2007, 05:35 AM
if the speakers need to be replaced,and its extended cab 3rd door, have fun finding replacement speakers for the back. they are a wierd size and the hole is setup for specifically the stock speaker.

TxCruzr
10-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Finding the speakers isn't so bad. It's removing the stupid rear bench seat and everything just to get that side panel off that's a royal PITA.

jerryg79
10-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Finding the speakers isn't so bad. It's removing the stupid rear bench seat and everything just to get that side panel off that's a royal PITA.

isnt yours a '99? I got the panel and everything off pretty easy, w/ out removing the bench seat. It wasnt fun that i remember, by any means though.

BroncoJo
10-11-2007, 11:04 AM
You will pay alot more for a good one. I did. Mine sits flush and look factory. GPS is awesome and it does alot more, including DVDs, Siruis, blah blah blah.

I dont know what his touch screen actualy cost, just that he gave his boss 700 for it. His fits in flush and has zero buttons, probably doesn't have GPS.

I thought GPS was only for soccer moms in SUVs? :flipoff2:

agjohn02
10-11-2007, 11:22 AM
I thought GPS was only for soccer moms in SUVs? :flipoff2:

...and chris scotti :flipoff2:

TxCruzr
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Probably could have gotten that panel out with the seat just folded up but I think it's just 2 bolts holding it in and it seemed like it would make it easier. If they blow though they're not getting replaced.

Sharpe
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
if the speakers need to be replaced,and its extended cab 3rd door, have fun finding replacement speakers for the back. they are a wierd size and the hole is setup for specifically the stock speaker.
If they are 4x10's then yah there are only two companies that make aftermarket speakers for them. I know this cause my burban has 4x10's in the back so I didnt have many options when it came to speaker selection. Eric, when you find a decent kit lemme know what you got. I'm probably gonna rob the system out of my suburban and put it in the crewcab so all I need is an install kit.

uglyota
10-11-2007, 01:57 PM
aight I'm gonna wait until I see a pic of Joe's setup

TxCruzr
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
It might be a week or so. I'm enjoying this rental car so they can take as long as they need :D

uglyota
10-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I expect a full report http://www.tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9441

TxCruzr
10-17-2007, 06:21 PM
Got the truck back today and I would like to thank the dumb hoe for hitting since the body shop also took the time to completely clean it inside and out. It was really needing it and I wasn't about to spend a few quarters to do it myself :D

These are crappy pics but you get the idea. Go figure now they have the same head unit but in black, which would have fit in better. The lights are red though and match the dash lights.

uglyota
10-17-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks for the pics Joe. Was that a Crutchfield's kit?

TxCruzr
10-17-2007, 10:49 PM
no, got it at circuitcity. already had the radio and everything from the cruiser so i just got their 5 buck plastic installation kit or however much it cost.

Jackasic
10-17-2007, 10:56 PM
eric, get it from Crutchfield. They sell you everything you need and don't charge extra. I bought my Alpine from them and it was 50 bucks cheaper and than any local place. over 200 i think shipping is free and no taxes ;)

uglyota
10-17-2007, 11:08 PM
for the tan truck or for a car?

Jackasic
10-18-2007, 12:18 AM
for the 96 jetta