PDA

View Full Version : stock dually wheels

CRaSHnBuRN
10-25-2007, 08:46 AM
Okay, this may seem like a kinda strange question, but what is the width and backspacing on those stock steel dually wheels you see on old chevy and dodges? I'm trying to see if it would be possible to squeeze my 4runner on a 76 inch trailer with rails if I pulled off the front tires and wheels and used something skinnier. I'm pretty sure my back tires will clear as they are.

tigweld
10-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I don't think a wheel for a drw truck will clear the calipers without a dually hub

CRaSHnBuRN
10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't think a wheel for a drw truck will clear the calipers without a dually hub

I have dually hubs on a Dodge D60, so it should clear fine.

Doug Krebs
10-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Did you buy this trailer or are you borrowing?

I remember knoeller having to swap tires and it sucked. If it was a temporary thing I think it's fine. However, if it's your trailer I suggest using the money to either modify the trailer or sell it and get a wider one.

Bare axles aren't very expensive.

P.S. I get sharpe has a couple of those rims...

Sharpe
10-25-2007, 10:47 AM
I have a metric ****-ton of dually rims. I've had 3 dually parts trucks and I still have all the rims for all of em. With tires too.

CRaSHnBuRN
10-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Did you buy this trailer or are you borrowing?

I remember knoeller having to swap tires and it sucked. If it was a temporary thing I think it's fine. However, if it's your trailer I suggest using the money to either modify the trailer or sell it and get a wider one.

Bare axles aren't very expensive.

P.S. I get sharpe has a couple of those rims...

I have not bought a trailer yet. I want to, but right now I don't know if its financially wise. I have a small trailer back home I can use, as well as a few longer ones I may be able to borrow, but they're all narrow with rails on the side. As a temporary solution, I thought it might be possible to run some skinny, heavily offset wheels in order to clear the rails, if my drive flanges or lugnuts don't hit first. Luckily my dodge axle is a little narrower than a chevy one so that helps a little. Like I said, its not an ideal solution, but might be good enough to get me through a couple of trips at least

colman
10-25-2007, 12:20 PM
you could always build up the deck in 2 places w/ 2x12's or something like that to get your hubs over the rails

CRaSHnBuRN
10-26-2007, 04:37 PM
so does anyone have any idea of how wide a dodge dually axle is to the ends of the lugnuts? I'm guessing thats the widest point on my axle since I have drive flanges

colman
10-26-2007, 05:34 PM
i think it is 73 or 74" for the wms on a dually