PDA

View Full Version : trailer tires

CRaSHnBuRN
11-07-2007, 02:06 PM
what brand does everyone prefer for trailer tires? The used car hauler I'm buying has a set of carlisle tires on it that are in fair shape, but of unknown age. Are these tires really as crappy as some try to make them out to be?

uglyota
11-07-2007, 02:28 PM
are they all dry rotted and does one or more go flat when it sits for more than a couple days? Then they're crappy. Have tread and hold air? Not crappy.
It's a trailer. Carry a spare :flipoff2:

BMFScout
11-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I think you overthink things. Are they dry rotted? Are they actual trailer 6-ply or cheap car tires? If they don't look bad I would just make sure I had a good spare and shag ass. If they need to be replaced, I would buy the cheapest trailer tires I could find of domestic origin. I hear good things about the "Desert Dogs."

FJAggie07
11-07-2007, 02:36 PM
I think you overthink things. Are they dry rotted? Are they actual trailer 6-ply or cheap car tires? If they don't look bad I would just make sure I had a good spare and shag ass. If they need to be replaced, I would buy the cheapest trailer tires I could find of domestic origin. I hear good things about the "Desert Dogs."

Desert dog makes trailer tires?!? I had those bad boys on my 94 toyota truck way back in the day and havent been able to find them since.

Seth
11-07-2007, 02:41 PM
agreed - run em and carry a spare.

CheapJeep
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Carlisle's are fairly inexpensive and pretty good.

Doug Krebs
11-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I bought the $50 specials from the trailer wheel and frame on 45. I'm not sure who they are made by, but they are bias ply trailer tires. They've worked well for the past couple of years and I haven't had any complaints.

Anyone ever heard that if you blow one tire on a trailer while it's loaded you're supposed to replace the other tire? I read this somewhere and they're reasoning is obvious. The remaining tire takes all the weight and gets damaged. Anyone encountered this?

CRaSHnBuRN
11-07-2007, 03:46 PM
are they all dry rotted and does one or more go flat when it sits for more than a couple days? Then they're crappy. Have tread and hold air? Not crappy.
It's a trailer. Carry a spare :flipoff2:

I need to do a better inspection of them when I get the trailer home. As of this time I don't know if they hold air long or not, or really what thier condition is overall (they didn't look to badly dryrotted). But in case I need to replace them I wanted to see what others prefered using. For example, when I searched the carlisle name I seemed to get mostly negative feedback.

Sharpe
11-07-2007, 05:06 PM
I bought the $50 specials from the trailer wheel and frame on 45. I'm not sure who they are made by, but they are bias ply trailer tires. They've worked well for the past couple of years and I haven't had any complaints.

Anyone ever heard that if you blow one tire on a trailer while it's loaded you're supposed to replace the other tire? I read this somewhere and they're reasoning is obvious. The remaining tire takes all the weight and gets damaged. Anyone encountered this?
I blew out one of my trailer tires one time cause it was low (i.e. 0 psi) and I was too lazy to air it up for a quick trip out to 47 to recover Steven's waggy. It blew where 47 meets 60 and I drove on it all the way back to my house because I didnt have a spare. The sidewalls of the tire were kind enough to disembark from the rim so that I didnt have to deal with getting them off later. I replace it with a 10 ply bias truck tire that I had sitting around at my shop (the rest of the tires on the trailer are radials and about 1" taller than it). I havent had any more blow outs since then so I guess its ok. I should probably invest in a spare anyway though, I just cant find a wheel that fits.

Doug Krebs
11-07-2007, 05:22 PM
I just cant find a wheel that fits.
weird backspacing?

Check out E-trailerpart.com (http://www.etrailerpart.com/16wheel.htm)

They have pretty damn good deals on wheels/tires. I'm not sure how bad shipping would be. Pick one up on the way to clayton! It's not too far out of the way.

BMFScout
11-07-2007, 05:29 PM
Southwest wheel in Dallas is the ****. It's close to where dad works, so we get all of our stuff there. That is the same place you just posted Doug, and where we got the replacement axle that is in your trailer. They will also sell just the tires. I bought the finest 6 ply radials china has to offer for Irene's trailer!

eight
11-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Yea that's crap. Overloading doesn't kill a tire, or at least by just doubling the load. Overload and keep driving and you may make the other one blow after it heats up enough.

I just run the cheap bias ones. Seems the radials blow out more often. I think I have carlysles on jeep hauling trailer and on boat. My dad likes Deestones because its almost Keystone.

FJAggie07
11-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I just run the cheap bias ones. Seems the radials blow out more often. I think I have carlysles on jeep hauling trailer and on boat. My dad likes Deestones because its almost Keystone.

That is a classic Kopecki quote right there! :gigem:

Sharpe
11-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Yah and the hole in the middle. Plain chevy 6-lug wheels wont work, the hole in the middle isnt big enough. A toyota rim might work but Garrett or someone took the loose ones out of Coop's truck before I got a chance to test fit one.

weird backspacing?

Check out E-trailerpart.com (http://www.etrailerpart.com/16wheel.htm)

They have pretty damn good deals on wheels/tires. I'm not sure how bad shipping would be. Pick one up on the way to clayton! It's not too far out of the way.

JeepPhisherman
11-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Yah and the hole in the middle. Plain chevy 6-lug wheels wont work, the hole in the middle isnt big enough. A toyota rim might work but Garrett or someone took the loose ones out of Coop's truck before I got a chance to test fit one.

There are 8 toyota rims behind one of Davido's houses close to you. There are also 4 old rusted out steel 6 lug wheels at the SE corner of the small storage park at Navarro and Welborn. Or atleast they were there a few weeks ago.

bcolman
11-07-2007, 09:47 PM
my brother has a set of toy rims over here at our house, come over and see if it will work for you

CRaSHnBuRN
11-08-2007, 08:06 AM

are all the six lug axle wheels like that? Cause thats what the trailer I'm looking at has, and I'm going to want a spare for sure