PDA

View Full Version : Folding ramps on a trailer

CRaSHnBuRN
11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Are there any downsides to running fold up ramps on a trailer versus the normal slide in the side types that you have to lug around?

I've always found the fold up ramps alot more convienent, and would like to convert my trailer to that style. I was just wondering if there were any cons to it.

mudtoy67
11-20-2007, 08:52 AM
Only thing I could think of off-hand would be that if you ever load something on there that hangs off the back of the trailer you would have to strap the ramps to it to hold them up...or remove them.

CRaSHnBuRN
11-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Only thing I could think of off-hand would be that if you ever load something on there that hangs off the back of the trailer you would have to strap the ramps to it to hold them up...or remove them.

yeah, so far thats the only con I could think of as well.

Here is my basic plan right now (picture below). I have these things that look like D ring mounts that were leftovers from a job here at work. I'm going to use them as the tabs to weld to the back of the trailer. Then I'm going to run a piece of 1" round bar (red) through them across the back of the trailer. The ramps will have a piece of pipe welded to them, and will fit over the round bar.

Originally I planned on just welding the round bar in place, but I could make it removable by simply adding a set of pins on each end to hold it in place. Then to remove the ramps I simply slide the rod out and the ramps come off. The downside is if the bar bends any, it probably won't slide out

jerryg79
11-20-2007, 10:08 AM
no one should ever bust my balls about the garage thread ever again.

uglyota
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Ramps are overrated. The only benefit I can see in ramps like that is that you can put supports on them so your truck's suspension doesn't get all jacked around when loading and unloading.

Shouldn't you worry about getting your rig together first? :flipoff2:

CRaSHnBuRN
11-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Ramps are overrated. The only benefit I can see in ramps like that is that you can put supports on them so your truck's suspension doesn't get all jacked around when loading and unloading.

Shouldn't you worry about getting your rig together first? :flipoff2:

Like you're a good one to talk. How long has it been since the uglytruck went wheeling? Or what about that hoop for the flatbed we bent? Its been what, 2 or 3 years since we did that? :flipoff2: The 4runner has been down for less than a year, and hopefully after this weekend it will be pretty much done.

As for the ramps, most of the time I never use them, but they are handy for when your truck is busted or dead

eight
11-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I made mine slide in the back.

texasxj
11-20-2007, 01:33 PM
All of our trucks and trailers have fold up ramps. See if I can explain:
piece of solid round
thicker pipe that will fit snugly around solid
weld tube to frame and then one to ramp
^put a piece of 1/2" plate behind tube to frame
they work great just make sure you get some springs that will fit around the solid-easier to lift up and down

this pic may help-http://tamor.us/members-rigs/album140/P1250009

jerryg79
11-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Like you're a good one to talk. How long has it been since the uglytruck went wheeling? Or what about that hoop for the flatbed we bent? Its been what, 2 or 3 years since we did that? :flipoff2: The 4runner has been down for less than a year, and hopefully after this weekend it will be pretty much done.

As for the ramps, most of the time I never use them, but they are handy for when your truck is busted or dead

so you never use the ramps, but you find it necessary to permanently affix them to the back, i see the logic here.

uglyota
11-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Like you're a good one to talk.
:D
I can't make much sense out of Clayton's post or camera phone pics but I am pretty sure his idea is better than your pipe that slides out the side. That sucker is sure to get bent and no longer slide out

CRaSHnBuRN
11-20-2007, 02:56 PM
so you never use the ramps, but you find it necessary to permanently affix them to the back, i see the logic here.

well none of the trailers I used before ever had them. I'm going to use them now that I have them

CRaSHnBuRN
11-20-2007, 03:00 PM
:D
I can't make much sense out of Clayton's post or camera phone pics but I am pretty sure his idea is better than your pipe that slides out the side. That sucker is sure to get bent and no longer slide out

If I understand him, I think what he described is pretty much what I wanted to do. What I described with keeping the solid bar removeable was just an idea, but like I said it would probably bend and be worthless anyway

texasxj
11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
If you have some time I can get a real picture of how ours are setup. I knew I wasnt making any sense with that!

BMFScout
11-20-2007, 03:06 PM
I think they are overkill for a car hauler and will be in the way.

BMFScout
11-20-2007, 03:07 PM
and look ghetto hanging off the back of the trailer. (sorry forgot to add that)

JeepPhisherman
11-20-2007, 08:43 PM
If you're going to do it, just build a hinge with a piece of solid bar or thick wall pipe for the pin. 3 pieces welded to trailer, 2 pieces to ramps, bar slides into all of them.

I vote no ramps and just put a winch on the trailer if you ever need it.

AggieTJ2007
11-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I say slide in/out ramps. that way when you load something longer than the trailer, IE tube, lumber, pipe ect the ramps aren't in the way.

StevenAg03
11-21-2007, 03:53 AM
my dad has had several trailers with ramps. it is my opinion that ramps should have supports. in otherwords, build supports so that when your front tires make it onto the trailer, the rear of the trailer does not go way down. i have attached a MSPaint drawing to better explain what i am talking about. normal ramps and trailer in black. "supports" in red.

uglyota
11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
good luck sliding those under the trailer! :flipoff2:

jerryg79
11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
holy fork, are you putting a backhoe on the trailer, or a stripped 4 runner?

BMFScout
11-21-2007, 10:33 AM
My point Ed Zachary

StevenAg03
11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
well most of them are for big trenchers. however, the fact still remains, when you drive the vehicle up onto the trailer it will lower the back of the trailer and raise the rear of the truck.

if he is going to make them permanently attached, i see no reason not to add the bracing. if they are removable then that is a different story.

CheapJeep
11-21-2007, 11:54 AM
My dad's trailer that I borrowed to tow Coop's Jeep to Clayton a couple years ago has folding ramps with bracing like that. It does help when loading/unloading vehicles and whatnot compared to my car hauler which has slideouts.