PDA

View Full Version : Colorado - Spring 2008

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Just to get some interest going...

I bought a truck with the intentions of having it ready for Clayton this year, but I'm quickly running out of time with the sun setting so early and my new project getting started, so I'm pushing back the completion date to early next year. Plans are to definitely have it ready by TCC, but I've also been talking with the lady friend about making a CO trip in the Spring to do some scenic wheeling.

I know John Brown and Scotti have been recently, so do either of you guys have some tips on places to visit? I'm thinking about a 5 or so day trip, with 3 days on the trails. Don't want to do anything extreme, just looking for somewhere to wheel to a scenic area, do some camping and back country type stuff, then wheel out.

Any of you interested?

Branton? Scotti? Schubrings?

I've also been thinking about Farmington or other areas in NM or AZ since I have yet to visit either state for wheeling.

agjohn02
11-27-2007, 10:55 AM
Moab isnt that far. Go there! ~15 hrs from here is Farmington and its on the way to Moab, another ~3hrs. Penrose is ~12hrs and Buena Vista is ~14hrs...

CRaSHnBuRN
11-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I was thinking of making a trip up there in late May right after my girlfriend graduates. I was thinking of trying to hook up with the hippy and do some of the harder trails, then spend a few days sight seeing.

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Moab isnt that far. Go there! ~15 hrs from here is Farmington and its on the way to Moab, another ~3hrs. Penrose is ~12hrs and Buena Vista is ~14hrs...

I've thought about that, or maybe just hitting up Farmington, but the lady is a big fan of CO, and I thought it'd be a good trip to hook up with the hippy and get him out on some trails.

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
I was thinking of making a trip up there in late May right after my girlfriend graduates. I was thinking of trying to hook up with the hippy and do some of the harder trails, then spend a few days sight seeing.

I could be down on bumping the trip out past TCC, only problem is we'll be comming up out of the ground in early April, so I'll get pretty busy from then until August 2010 :rolleyes:

agjohn02
11-27-2007, 11:35 AM
colorado is pretty useless before mid june. all the high, pretty stuff is still snowed in.

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 11:40 AM
That was going to be my next question. Maybe I should rename this "Not-Texas - Spring 2008"?

FJAggie07
11-27-2007, 02:18 PM
I am with Cox on this one. Black Bear is one thing I wouldn't miss if going to colorado and it normally isn't open until July.

What about Tennessee?

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 02:51 PM
I grew up in the East, I'm heading West wherever I go.

Lynda
11-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Arizona....we'll go with

Graystroke
11-27-2007, 04:10 PM
August is safer yet to make sure everything is open. I went mid August and there were still areas w/ snow drifts along the trails. I just read an article where everything was blocked by snow @ the high elevations in July and they had to do some turning around... not fun on a slipery road carved out of the side of a mountain.

agjohn02
11-27-2007, 04:18 PM
plus, its hot here in august and cool up high

8Runner
11-27-2007, 05:34 PM
I have been thinking about doing Moab in the spring so maybe be up for joining you if you go that route... I concur that most of the CO fun stuff has to be done in what we call "summer" here... I still want to go do the trip a friend & I planned (but ultimately got snowed out of). It was in southwest colorado going from Telluride to Ouray and a few other small towns via the old passes and camping up in the mountains in between.

BMFScout
11-27-2007, 05:39 PM
I hear the good time to go to Colorado is when it's too cold to do anything, but before they get any good snow. Maybe something like this:

http://keystone.snow.com/info/keystone36.asp

JeepPhisherman
11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
I have been thinking about doing Moab in the spring so maybe be up for joining you if you go that route... I concur that most of the CO fun stuff has to be done in what we call "summer" here... I still want to go do the trip a friend & I planned (but ultimately got snowed out of). It was in southwest colorado going from Telluride to Ouray and a few other small towns via the old passes and camping up in the mountains in between.

Well if we can figure who all would be interested in a big trip, we can talk amongst ourselves on where we'd like to go. I'm really open for anything in that general area up and left from here...

Places I had tossed around were: Colorado, Farmington, Las Cruces and Moab.

jerryg79
11-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I hear the good time to go to Colorado is when it's too cold to do anything, but before they get any good snow. Maybe something like this:

http://keystone.snow.com/info/keystone36.asp

36 hrs of keystone, sounds like the le mans of cheap beer.

flem might be interested

new for this year, a gaming tent in River Run Village featuring Activision's "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock." The tent will have lounge-style seating and 6 - 8 gaming stations complete with Westinghouse LCD TVs. One of the stations will be designated for the Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock contest. Think you've got skills? Prove it for a chance to win VIP tix to the 36 Hours of Music headliner event on Saturday, December 1.

agjohn02
11-27-2007, 06:17 PM

flem might be interested

are those westinghouse tvs in HD?

DRAGOONRANCH
11-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Hmm, an august trip to CO, this has peaked my interest. Maybe the pete could be broke out of storeage by then for this one.

BMFScout
11-28-2007, 12:12 AM
are those westinghouse tvs in HD?

I'll find out and report back.

Graystroke
11-28-2007, 12:31 AM
you can do most everything in a stock 4x4. when I went a few years ago, we were waiting for the rest of the group to catch up just before the descent on the scary stuff on black bear pass. Here comes this POS stock geo tracker w/ street radials bouncing down the trail w/ his dog in the front seat hauling ass (for the trail). he looked all pissed off b/c we were clogging up the trail (and some people were about to **** their pants going real S L O W). he had CO plates and was probably a local usung the trail for what it is...a short cut to telluride from Ouray. I think it is 12 miles via Black bear and like around 40-50 miles via paved HWY.

bburris
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
I'll find out and report back.
Are you really going? I remember you saying something about skiing, but I just figured you had plans with a couple of poles...

jerryg79
11-28-2007, 09:32 AM
did anyone actually hear from hippie this weekend? I left him a message while we were freezing our asses off at the bus, but never heard back. Was he actually in CS?

jerryg79
11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
but I just figured you had plans with a couple of poles...

the kopecki brothers?

Sharpe
11-28-2007, 09:38 AM
did anyone actually hear from hippie this weekend? I left him a message while we were freezing our asses off at the bus, but never heard back. Was he actually in CS?
I talked to him on saturday night and tried to convince him to come to 218 for the shindig we were having but the ***** never showed.

BMFScout
11-28-2007, 01:16 PM

This might be what I've been training for my whole life.

He was actually there, had breakfast/lunch with him and Em on Saturday.

They actually have 5 whole trails open now, think this will be more of a drinking weekend with a little snowskiing.

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Quit snaking *****es!!

JB
11-28-2007, 04:39 PM
I went in June and had to back up PoughKeepsie and Imogene, which was not fun at all. A local on the trail told me that most all trails are cleared by July 4th. I have been down most of the trails in the Silverton/Ouray/Telluride area in my F150. I had good tires and a winch, but that is really not necessary for these trails. (expect maybe PKG)

Moab is awesome, but I was limited alot by my truck. You could rent a TJ though if you are 25+

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm liking the Moab or other desert area wheeling plan now.

Who would actually be interested in going somewhere?
Scotti said maybe if we head towards Moab
Lynda said Arizona
I'm game for anything
John Brown, you interested?

FJAggie07
11-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I am very interested but already taking a week off for my honeymoon leaves me no time for extended wheeling trips :(

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Don't you work for yourself? Make your own hours *****!

I forgot about you and Amanda, yall need to figure out a way to make this trip.

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 05:34 PM
John, are you going to be gradiated by then? Down for the trip?

agjohn02
11-28-2007, 05:37 PM
i wont be out of here till next december at least

FJAggie07
11-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Don't you work for yourself? Make your own hours *****!

I forgot about you and Amanda, yall need to figure out a way to make this trip.

We'll see. Business is currently growing and instead of that making things easier it makes my family and I's life a pain. Hopefully by then we will have enough people hired that we can take off... It also depends on if Amanda comes to work with the company and then it will be hard to have both of us out... :(

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Ooh, that sounds like a great idea!

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 05:43 PM
We'll see. Business is currently growing and instead of that making things easier it makes my family and I's life a pain. Hopefully by then we will have enough people hired that we can take off... It also depends on if Amanda comes to work with the company and then it will be hard to have both of us out... :(

Just set your out of office e-mail reply and outlook and that takes care of that. :gigem:

redcagepatrol
11-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Arizona for a spring break trip is the way to go. It's just the right temp and the scenery is AWSOME! Las Cruces on the way out, we can re-live some past nightmares...
I have four alboms of pictures of that trip here:
http://offroadrepublic.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=22905&g2_page=2

JeepPhisherman
11-28-2007, 09:25 PM
March 10-14 is A&M Spring Break.

BMFScout
11-30-2007, 03:02 AM
fawk yo thread niggas!!!!

I'm in a trendy ass loft in Denver typing on a laptop that costs more than my Toyota!

Eric says it's called LoDo, like for lower downtown or some ****.

If you're at work/school on Firday fawk you, I'm gonna be drunk and skiing. Fawk fawk fawk!!!!I'm drunk on tanqueray and water!!!

redcagepatrol
11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

I'm in a trendy ass loft in Denver typing on a laptop that costs more than my Toyota!

If you're at work/school on Firday fawk you, I'm gonna be drunk and skiing. Fawk fawk fawk!!!!I'm drunk on tanqueray and water!!!
ahh - so I guess you made the flight... :beer:

jerryg79
11-30-2007, 09:14 AM

i see a torn acl in your future :flipoff2:

Fredo
11-30-2007, 09:24 AM
You know, I'd normally say something about altitude magnifying the intoxication level, but this is Jimmy we're talking about....so he could be that drunk at sea level.

DRAGOONRANCH
11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
You know, I'd normally say something about altitude magnifying the intoxication level, but this is Jimmy we're talking about....so he could be that drunk at sea level.

It's a win/win situation, kinda like giving blood/plasma before a good night on NG. Just makes you a cheaper drunk. :beer:

BMFScout
11-30-2007, 01:03 PM
good times, just woke up, time to go rent skis.

fawk yo thread!

uglyota
12-05-2007, 11:30 PM
sucks that I had to work friday. Wonder if they knew that there was a little more involved in my sloth than just 3 hrs of sleep :D
you pwned the cop in the F250 though!

AggieTJ2007
12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
yeah, just wait, ill be in colorado soon enough