PDA

View Full Version : Possible tow rig. Suggestions?

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 10:16 AM
I found a 1996 F-350 XL 4x4 Cruise control (formerly C/C) Reg Cab SRW White truck for
$9500 neg. It has 140k miles and was owned by some company who kept regular maintenence on it. I have not seen proof of this. It is very clean on the inside, and the outside has some minor nicks that were touched up. The hood 'almost' closes all the way. It has replacement bumpers front and rear. Draw tight in the rear. The bed has some scratches in it from sliding things in and out, but the paint in the bed is in better shape than my truck. The outside looks pretty clean other than the stuff I mentioned.

I talked to my mom thinking that she would laugh at me, but she actually considered it. I'd offer no more than $9000 (kbb value),
but I'm thinking more like $8500 because of said blemishes.

Payments would be $300/month for 3 years, which I can afford. Insurance would go up 300/6 months because I told the insurance co. that the Mazda would be primary vehicle and the Ford would be for pleasure.

I will not buy it without having Pickups Plus look at it first.

What do you guys think? No biased PS/Cummins/Duramax arguments. I realize that I run the risk of mechanical failure, in which case I get discounts on parts and my dad is a mechanic.

For those of you who have been pushing me to do the swap for so long: I will have to pay half if not all of my tuition from now on. I simply can not afford the swap without loans or credit card debt. If I can't have a trail rig, I may as well get a tow rig and ride shotgun on the trails. Besides, I'll set myself up for some Dana 60s 5 years from now when I finally have the means to build the Mazda without getting myself into debt.

crawlingno5
11-07-2002, 11:41 AM
If i understand this right, since you dont have the money for a trail rig, you want to get a tow rig so you can tow other peoples trail rigs?

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 12:20 PM
My logic is as follows:

I will NOT get myself into debt for a toy. I am willing, however, to be in debt for a few years to pay off a truck. My truck has coolant leaking into the cylinders (for almost 5 years now), and I'm not sure when it is going to go belly up. I won't get rid of my truck because it isn't worth anything to anyone. So if I buy another truck that has more power, gets the same gas milage, rides 10x better, has the ability to do more work, and can pull a friend's rig to the trail every once in a while... I think I'm better off.

Summary: Debt for a vehicle that I can sell for what it is worth and it works for me = OK. Debt for a toy that is also my daily driver = Hell no. Scott can use his argument all he wants. He did the swap, but he didn't use all of his money and he didn't have a job. He could ride to school as I can, but I work on Riverside Campus.

I fvck up my daily driver...
I can't get to work...
I can't get paid...
I can't fix my daily driver.

Now do you understand the logic. I am not buying a truck to pull TAMOR rigs. I am buying a diesel because it isn't a 4 banger, it's a diesel. What more reason do I need?

aggielr
11-07-2002, 12:40 PM
but you will get yourself into debt for a tow rig and keep a truck that would essentiallly have no use?

Krawler68
11-07-2002, 12:54 PM
buy the powerstroke... experience the joys of owning a vehicle somebody else ragged on for the last 140k... experience the joys of the 70 dollar oil change, sensors that won't stay working, a motor that needs a phiniky pump to create vaccuum to run accessories, tires that won't be cheap, the biggest bitch in the world to park.

Other than that I would buy it... but I'm used to all the downsides and have the disposable cash to afford it. I get the impression from all your bitching you won't be able to afford the maintenence required on a powerstroke, or any diesel for that matter.

Sell your mazda and buy a toy truck or a jeep with that cash...since you claim your mazda is still worth so much money.

Doug

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 01:18 PM
Bitch to park a single cab truck?

I claim my truck is worth something? I wouldn't pay $2,000 for it.

You completely miss the point. I can not risk screwing with my daily driver because if I mess something up I CAN'T WORK. When I work I have money, when I don't, I don't. If your trail rig was your dd you would have been without a vehicle for how many years now Doug? Landon?

You people try to hard to get me to do the swap, but you all have a tow rig and a trail rig. I can't do the swap. Can't. No. Sorry.

I can afford minor repairs, not major ones. I change my own oil and I do my own work, so I think your $70 oil changes don't apply to me. If an alternator goes out, I can afford it. If the motor needs rebuilding I can't. There is a difference between affording repairs and affording tires/steering/shocks/suspension/ axle/brake lines etc........

How is the truck any more useless than mine? It gets the same mpg and does a whole lot more. How about I put it to you this way. If I save up my money and don't go into debt, all that money that I saved goes to tuition. If I get this truck and save a little money on the side, most of the side money still goes to tuition, just less of it. And I have a real truck to boot.

My question: Do I have to worry about MAJOR repairs with a 6 yr old Powerstoke with 140,000 HW miles?

Krawler68
11-07-2002, 01:25 PM
I'm sorry I didn't realize it was a single cab...thought it was 4 door.

as for your question... is it a standard? And YES...you'll be replacing a lot of engine accessories in the near future.

Also...as for oil changes...it will not be 70 bucks but it will be 35-45 bucks per oil change if you do it yourself, and more like 50 if you change your fuel filter like you should every other oil change.

And I wouldn't have been without a vehicle any of this time if my trail rig was my DD, because I wouldn't have spent so little money on my trail rig... I would have had MUCH deeper pockets to afford my bronco, either a better initial start or more money for upgrade parts, if I hadn't had to maintain and purchase my 'joke.

Doug

aggielr
11-07-2002, 01:32 PM
like doug said, if my trail rig was my daily driver, then it wouldn't have sat for so long without anything done to it, i would have had money to fix it, look at matt, lissa, jimmy, mark (before the golden bubble), busa, and sorry to anyone else i have forgotten, they all have dd/rigs and all a hellava lot more capable than mine, but i'm only spendin minimal $$ on mine, and i'm talkin about keepin the mazda, it'll pretty much be useless if you get a ps, so y don't you sell it? and y must you drop $2000 on a swap? what the **** is so expensive about welding spring hangers, some stock springs, simple steering ****, and puttin the tires you have on it

after you save money, then spend it on lift/lockers/tires/

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 01:37 PM
I know on my powerstroke I spend around $35 for the 14-15 quarts (almost 4 gallons) of Delo oil and fuel filter every 5000 miles or so. Every other oil change I change the fuel filter which sets me back another $35-$40 dollars. So if you drive 20000 miles a year your basic oil and fuel filter changes will cost you $210-$220 a year.

What does the c/c in this quote from your first post "I found a 1996 F-350 XL 4x4 C/C Reg Cab SRW White truck" stand for. Most the time c/c means crew cab.

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 01:41 PM
C/C meant cruise control, sorry. I see the confusion now.

I lose serious money if I sell my truck. Why?

Good things about it:
It runs well. (warm, but well)
I have tons of faith in it.
It gets decent milage.

Bad things:
Leaks oil.
Leaks coolant (into motor)
Every rubber bushing is shot to hell.
Loud pops when I turn...

Fact is, it isn't worth crap to anyone else. It has sentimental value to me, and will be my trail rig some day. So if I don't sell it for pocket change now, I won't have to buy a new rig. I know mine inside and out. If I do sell it - insurance is $50 MORE dollars a month, even for one less vehicle. I own 1 less vehicle so should something major happen to the stroke I'm screwed. In my family, there are more cars than people:

Parents - 3 cars
Brother - 2 cars and a crotch rocket
Me - 2 trucks, hopefully

We never have to worry about getting to work/renting a car. You don't sell something that is worth 1/2 or less to someone else than it is to you unless it is completely useless. At least if I keep the Mazda I have the option of doing a LOW dollar swap. If I have another truck I don't have to worry about how long the Mazda is down.

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 01:52 PM
I agree that you should not get rid of your truck. I also agree that you should have a daily driver that is different then your trail rig. Just make sure the truck is in good mechanical shape. Fords along with most rucks start to have problems after 100000 miles. You most likely will have to replace all the fluids which will get expensive. Each diff take almost a gallon of gear oil and in my superduty your supposed to use synthetic which got real expensive. If the truck is in good shape buy it and when you get the money later work on the mazda. I will tell you from experence that the cost of maintaining a diesel is alot higher then that of maintaining a gas engine.

aggielr
11-07-2002, 02:35 PM
you know yours inside and out, well hibbidy dibbidy, your goin to have to replace 100% of the drivetrain when you turn it into a trail rig, so then you'll know the body? and after you graduate you should have the money to buy something w/ a better starting point, but it's your money and your goin to do what you want, so buy it and tell me later why you shouldn't have

robertf03
11-07-2002, 02:40 PM
I say get a petrol powered truck. Wait until your making the big bucks or in typical TAMOR fashion wait until you sign with El Paso before you get a diesel.

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 02:43 PM
But how many mazda's do you see on d60's. He wants something different then a jeep like everyone else. If you get something that is a better starting point then you will have vehicle like everyone else. What he plans on doing with the mazda is the same as all the other people building up rigs right now. All that remains of the current rig is the body on most of the projects taking place right now.

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 02:47 PM
The insurance issue is also a good point. The bronco was my daily driver until I turned 25 and the superduty was my weekend truck. Setting it up this way cost me less then if I just insured the superduty as my main vehicle and no insurance on the bronco. My insurance guy even knew that the bronco set in a pasture for the last year and half.

aggielr
11-07-2002, 02:49 PM
i agree w/ that 100%, i think it's badass to have something no one else has, but most of those people have the money to build their rigs and have tow rigs and all, for someone to say they won't spend the $1000 on a solid axle, but will drop $9500 on a used truck, well that doesn't make sense, i would prefer to see the solid axle mazda, even if it ain't lifted/locked and all the other bs we all do, rather than a stock mazda w/ another rattlin fallin apart truck on the road

crawlingno5
11-07-2002, 02:50 PM
if your worrying about the mazda breaking, why not just buy a little jap car that will run forever than buying a big diesel truck? so you can tow someone now? whoopie. you said you can do more work with this diesel? such as? seriously, you going to start doing some heavy hauling now? i dont see the point in spending 9000$ on a tow rig, when you really have absolutly no need for that big a truck for another 5 years at least.

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 02:58 PM
If you are going to have this big tow rig to pull other people around then you will have to spend another $1500 on trailer. Alot of people want to be towed but not to many people without a tow rig happen to have a trailer sitting there for you to tow them on. I agree with crawlingno5 get a little car to drive around until you graduate. Mark bought the golden bubble and drove that every where instead of the jeep. I also will tell you it sucks leaving school in debt.

aggielr
11-07-2002, 03:06 PM
What happened to the Cressida (sp?), why not drive that and spend money on the Mazda? You wouldn't even have to be payin a truck note. And just for thought, what if you don't get the $60,000/year job you think you will, what happens if you can't find a job right away, Riverside Campus till you do?

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 03:08 PM
As for the Jap car. Hell no. I will never be without a truck. I will never buy a car unless it is a V8 Mustang AND I have a truck. Have you seen the Ford Landon? Is it a POS? Why don't you go to Mr. Gatti's and have a look for yourself.

How many times will you people miss the point. I can't risk doing the swap and being without a daily driver. I can't risk off roading and breaking something on my daily driver. You don't play with your daily driver. My dad has told me this 1000 times, and the more I think about it the more I understand.

I can do the swap for $1000, but how many corners will I cut and how long will I be without a vehicle?

In a little less crucial of a situation...

I offered $7800 which is in the middle of retail and trade in. What I get is a truck that I can use for years to come that gets THE SAME mileage as mine. I do pull stuff. I do haul stuff. I do not do it on a daily basis, but I do it. I don't NEED a diesel, but it gets better mileage than a gas motor. Not only that, but...

I set myself up for a drivetrain if I ever have a trail rig. Even if the truck blows up 5 years from now and I decide I hate off roading I still have $1000 in axles. How much will that save me if I do decide to build a rig and I already have D60s? Time? Money?

I have 2 choices:

Don't get the truck - If the crack gets worse in mine, be without vehicle until I can afford a $2-3000 motor. Drive a rattling POS around for the next 5 years. NO AXLE SWAP.

Do get the truck - I have a truck that is 3 years newer and a hell of a lot nicer. I can pull my screwed up JAP CAR home. I can tow my roommates wrecked TEMPO to the junk yard. I can tow my roommates CHEVY to SA when he blows the motor instead of having his uncles make a special trip. I can fit 2x as much firewood in the back of the truck in trips from SA to CS. I can go more than 4 days/200 miles without filling up. I have D60s (future investment). I can haul more crap when I move from college and when my grandparents move 1 hr from where they live (few years from now) Have a chance of doing the swap cheaply. Will a diesel do more work for me than my Mazda? Hmmmmm

aggielr
11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
well what then was the reason for this post, you haul soo much stuff and need a heavy duty truck, so you can bring more firewood home, ***, and you obviously have your mind made up, and i did drive by and see the truck, so just ahead and buy it, because no matter what anyone of us says your goin to do it, live and learn, die and forget it all

Edit: I said there are several openings that start at $55,000/year that I would have a good chance gettin, you said everyone needs a computer science major

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 03:14 PM
The Cressida has piston slap. Further driving may cause serious problems. If I don't buy a diesel 4x4, I won't buy anything.

I NEVER, EVER, EVER said I was going to make $60,000 out of college. You said you would make that much. If the economy still sucks I have a GUARANTEED job with ESL. I may not make more than $35-40k to start, but that is more than enough to pay back the 2-3k I have left on a truck note.

As far as a trailer goes. I won't ever feel obligated to have a trailer to tow people just because I have a diesel. It is the person who wants to be towed's problem to find a trailer. I won't become the TAMOR towing service. If I want to go on a trip and someone wants to be towed and has a trailor I can do it. I am not buying this truck to tow TAMOR rigs.

I started this thread to get input on MAJOR mechanical failures in Powerstrokes. I didn't want people's opinons on what I should do with my truck or what vehicle I should buy as a daily driver. That is my choice and no one else's. Thanks to Doug and James for speaking from experience.

EDIT - What is my major? I don't even remember saying that, but whatever.

Broncocustom
11-07-2002, 03:46 PM
5 years from now when the truck is maybe dead I do not think you will have 2 dana 60 to use. I thought that truck came with a sterling 10.25 in the rear and the front is a d60 but I think after '92 they changed from kingpin knuckles to ball joints which is less desirable.

I understand the want for the second vehicle and if they except the price you offered then you will be getting a great deal and wont be in debt for that long. Just make sure you get it checked out.

Krawler68
11-07-2002, 03:58 PM
yeah good luck swapping that sterling into anything... damn it sucks... and that ball jointed D60... blow a U-joint and tell me how much you like it... it'll be like having a D44...you'll lose your tire/rim and be a pissed mofo.

ANyway...buy it...sell it... I didn't think the poor could be as picky as you are about what they drive. I'll only get such and such, blah, V8 mustang, blah, Diesel, blah... I swear if you're so forkin' poor you should be driving a damn ricer shat box and enjoying not walking.

Chadnutz
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Who says I'm poor? I said I can't afford the swap and it isn't a good idea. Sigh.

You people are never satisified. A Dana 60 isn't good enough now? What will you not complain about? And how is a Sterling 10.25" any harder than the axle sitting next to it to swap in the rear?

eight
11-07-2002, 10:25 PM
That isn't that great of a deal. And I'll put a little list of what's went wrong with the powerstrokes my family has owned.

94 F-350: My dads first one. Everything on the motor besides the actual block and heads. The dealer put $17500 (yes) of parts into it including injection pump, turbo, camshaft, every electrical part, 3 sets of injectors ($260 each and the most problematic part on the truck) and it still never ran right. The list of parts was 11 pages long.

94 F-350: My first one. Glow plug system $3200 of parts, water pump.

94 F-350 4x4: My second one. Glow plug controller, flywheel. This one was mine and it was out of warranty. Flywheel is $1200 new I bought a used one for $250. It likes to got out alot too.

95 F-350 4x4: My older brother's first one. Automatic locking hub. He only kept this truck 3 weeks.

97 F-250 4x4: My older brother's second one. It never had the power that it should have and the dealer wouldn't do anything about it. Flywheel went out.

99 F-250 4x4: My older brother's third one. Computer, glow plug system, 1 injector, currently in the shop for glow plug system again and is for sale.

2000 F-350 4x4: My dad's second one. Best one yet.

2000 Excursion: Nothing with the motor.

99 F-250 4x4: My little brother's first. Nothing. Just got it 2 months ago.

2002 F-350 4x4: My older brother's fourth. Nothing. Just got it Tuesday.

I do know of a 94 with 270k on it with no major problems, but I also know of a lot more of them that did give problems.

Mileage on the powerstrokes seems to range from 10-20mpg and there is nothing you can do to change it. Most get about 17.

Do you really want a truck like this when its out of warranty? If you want a diesel that won't give you problems, get a cummins or a non-turbo ford. Or a gm 6.2.

I had to put this one in too.
98.5 Ram 2500 cummins 4x4: $54 thermostat.

It cost you $2000 - $3000 for a motor for the Mazda? Get a low mileaged one from a junkyard. More like $500. But you probably only have a problem with the heads or head gasket if it's just leaking water into the motor. It could be the block, but the heads are a more common problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention all the starters. About $260 each to buy a rebuilt but only $120 to get it rebuilt. And batteries never last.

Krawler68
11-07-2002, 10:29 PM
otu of the mouths of babes come the ultimate in truth...couldn't have put it better myself there eight.

Seth
11-08-2002, 03:32 AM
Why keep buying them if you keep on having problems?? It seems to me that there are plenty out there not having problems, but hell, who knows.
Seth

StevenAg03
11-08-2002, 04:25 AM
off all the problems that 'eight' just listed, all but two were from First Year Motors. and are you posative that all the 94's were powerstroke? are all of them standards?

Nutz,
it seems to me that you have already made your mind up about the truck. Go ahead and get it. I kno if i could have a 9000 truck id sure as hell want the same exact thing. They are a bitch to work on, but all diesles and foreign cars are. i would think if you took care of it and did regular maintenece on it you would be happy. as for the axles making a good wapp. the reason a sterling 10.25 sucks is not its strength is its lack of gearing options(4.56:1 is the deepest you can get) but it is MASSIVE. t will lsat forever if not abused. Doug can be the first to tell you that his truck as been put throughmajor hell. Just dont ragg on it all the time. Only problem is, why do you want a diesel if your not gonna drive it hard?:D

eight
11-08-2002, 05:13 AM
All the 94s were powerstrokes and standards. My 94 F-350 4x4 had a 96 motor in it. Air box problems killed the first motor before I got it. I never found a difference in the year models besides the ecm programming. My dad's first one had a 95 motor in it but I'm not sure of the reason. I just know it was put in at 30k miles. The only auto was the 95 that we kept for 3 weeks for that reason. I could list problems from friends trucks too. Both of my 94s were starting to get tranny (5-spd) problems too. But I don't think anyone else had manual tranny problems.

Why buy them? Ford has good warranties, chevy's not worth having (don't say it), dodge has no crew cab and is a bitch about warranty work. I have a dodge now. All the old powerstrokes are gone too.

You can get 7.17 gears for the 10.25" But nothing in between 4.56 and 7.17. It's stronger than a 14 bolt too.

If you buy it, when that flywheel spits out the springs and starts rattling the truck to pieces, I've got some good ones you can have. Just remember that, it'll save you a lot of money later. Don't leave the truck idleing, that's the worst thing for the flywheel.

Broncocustom
11-08-2002, 07:58 AM
I was not saying those axles are bad I was just stating what the truck came with. For your aplication that d60 would be fine or you could sell it down the road and still get a lot of money for it.

Doug why whould use loose your rim and tire if you blow a u-joint? and the axle is nothing like having a d44 it is stronger even with the ball joints.

I can tell you about as many problems with dodge and chevy as
I can with ford. They all have problems and all the parts are expensive on a deisel compared to a gas engine.

My truck has 100000 miles on it and all that has gone wrong in the last 2 years is a water pump and now the hydroboost is leaking.

Krawler68
11-08-2002, 08:31 AM
By losing a tire and rim I was talking about how blown U-joints tedn to destroy Balljoints and make the knuckle fall off on D60's... the ball joint just isn't that much bigger than the D44 ball joint.

Chadnutz
11-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Thanks for all of your input guys. I offered $7,800 which is in the middle of the trade in and the retail value. I told him I didn't like how it was a company truck and all. He didn't argue with me. He simply asked if I'd like to drive it to Pick-Ups plus.

I don't think I will pay more than $8,500 for it, but I'm leaning towards $8,000. I will keep demanding service reports on it. He is selling it for the company, so he has to be the one to do the research on it. It should be pretty easy for him to find out what kinds of service have been performed on it. He said there should be some information in the glove compartment.

It really is clean for a work truck. The inside is flawless. The outside has some minor dings and some rust on the framerails. The only problem I could see was dirt/oil around the bottom of the front and rear of the motor. There wasn't one drop on the ground and it has been sitting for at least a week. My truck leaks 2 quarts per change if not more. If I keep 5 qts in it, it leaks worse than if I keep 4. Oil pan seal? Aren't all diesels dirty mofos?

Thanks again....

Moose
11-08-2002, 11:11 AM
i know it's a little late for suggestions, but this is my exact same problem.

i think a tow rig and a trail toy are a great idea, IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

tow rig / trail toy:

- you'll be able to learn the extremes of your toy without worries of getting home.
- if you break it, you still have something to get you from (in my father's words) "A to B."
- you'll always have 2 vehicles. if one breaks down, you'll always have another.
- you'll have either something very pleasing to get you around town (your nice tow rig), or a nasty loud toy to show off around town.
- but added maintenance on two vehicles
- and added insurance and payments

trail toy as daily driver

- be able to fix your rig as fast as you can for as cheap as you can and be able to fix it anywhere.
- you'll never be able to have fun on the trails cause you'll always be worried of parking your daily driver due to dammages
- but you'll only have to worry about maintenance on one vehicle.
- plus more money for school

it's a tough decision unless you can afford it.

i can relate with some of the said problems of previous posts about F-2/350's. but i can also say positive things about other F-2/350's that have had better than average lives. i think the upper 80's to middle to upper 90's are better (as far as performance and problems go) than the newer ones. but then it's just the opposite sometimes. it's all random. you can't say one vehicle has more problems / more pros than another.

i think $9500 is a little high for a 96 F-350 4x4 w/medium miles for a diesel reg cab. that would sound a little better if the miles were lower or the vehicle was an extended cab. but cheap tow rigs are hard to find today.

joel

Chadnutz
11-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Picture 1

Chadnutz
11-08-2002, 12:03 PM
Picture 2

BigRedFord04
11-08-2002, 12:49 PM
i havent been on the board in a few days so i'm kinda late, but i say you should buy it. you'll have problems with anything you buy used, no matter what it is...and there are always more stories of "i knew a guy once...:rolleyes:...as for having future parts, yeah...maybe...kinda hard to imagine parting out that truck to turn part of the drivetrain into a mazda but whatever. Axles in it are a D60 and Sterling 10.25" as someone has already pointed out....and to whatever doug was talking about the D60 only being as strong as a D44 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...good luck
...I'm going to steal your front axle :D :D

Broncocustom
11-08-2002, 12:57 PM
The truck looks to be in really good shape for a work truck. Like I said before if they take your offer then you are getting a good deal and will have nice truck to drive around. If something does break then you can drive the mazda while you are fixing the Ford.

Since it is a xl version I am guessing that it has a vinyl floor which is a nice feature to have in a truck.

BigRedFord04
11-08-2002, 01:04 PM
yes...the vinyl floor does come up nicely for a coat of durabak :D...

I forgot to mention, i know where you can get a `94 F350 4x4 w/ a BALLZY! 460 for $1900 :D Single cab dually w/ a work box on the back. Needs some love.

Chadnutz
11-08-2002, 01:11 PM
It does have vinyl floors which I love. The seat is also vinyl which I don't love, but it has a cover. No CD player buy I have that. It has the digital odometer and cruise control. Stick to shift into 4wd and manual hubs are a must. The inside looks like it has never been used.

My grandma will definitely cosign. I am waiting to get in touch with this guy again. Once again, I offered halfway between retail and trade in value. My mom says to go $300 under that.

Still need maintence records and to inquire about major repairs.
Also need to drive it to Pickups Plus.

True, I want the thing, but I'm going to make damn sure nothing is wrong with it right now or has been in the past.

Some powerstrokes are good, some aren't. You take chances.

Life's a dance......

bburris
11-08-2002, 01:37 PM
I looked at the truck since I realized where it was sitting from the pictures. It looks like a typical work truck. Ask Steven about how workers treat work trucks. I'm a little scared to drive the ones that the guys that do work for my dad drive. They don't give a **** about anything on the truck since it's not theirs. If you ever get the maintenance records, be wary - the records and the condition of the truck are only as good as the mexican who took care of it. The reason it has a vinyl floor, vinyl seat, and only an AM/FM radio is because the company knew it would end up getting crapped out. It probably cost them about a hundred bucks to get Shammy Car Wash to detail that thing to get it to look like it does now.

Do what you want, but don't whine here in a couple months when the plastic throwout bearing goes out, or when you have to pay for ~$250 injectors.

StevenAg03
11-10-2002, 10:16 PM
hey nutz.....why do you not like the 4door that is sitting right beside it for the same price?

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 12:01 AM
More truck than I need and it has more miles.

BigRedFord04
11-11-2002, 12:11 AM
so did you buy it yet? still going to?

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 09:51 AM
We're are 8 right now. Ray from Pickups Plus pointed out a few minor things like a brake seal leak in the drum and needing to replace the radiator hoses. Other than that he said it was in good shape. I am going to call the guy back today and offer him $7500. I need to find out how I'm going to get an application with my grandma's signature since she is in San Antonio.

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Pros vs Cons of a flywheel conversion? The bushing in the clutch pedal are bad and it is cause the clutch to act up a little. That is a $15 fix. However, I am trying to convince the guy that the clutch has problems and my need to be replaced soon. New clutch, labor and flywheel conversion kit is ~$900. Have ya'll heard any good or bad things about them?

Krawler68
11-11-2002, 02:27 PM
I've heard they don't suck quite as hard as a dual mass flywheel...

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 02:29 PM
J&P says they have not had one complaint or returned vehicle.

Dad and Co. at Southwest Reasearch Diesel Testing Facility (not official name) haven't heard anything bad about it.

Krawler68
11-11-2002, 02:42 PM
In all honesty how many people have you heard complain about the dual mass flywheel? take from that what you will seeing as the conversion is a "FIX" for that irregular problem...

In any event...

Just buy the damn truck...if your heart is set on the turd so much.

BigRedFord04
11-11-2002, 02:44 PM
i second that opinion...join the ranks of us Ford workin' sums o' bitches

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Hoy es el dia de los veteranos.

Translation: The bank is closed today. ;)

BigRedFord04
11-11-2002, 02:49 PM
post office too?

Chadnutz
11-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Most likely. Is that for your information?

BigRedFord04
11-11-2002, 02:57 PM
before i saw that post i was about to walk over there...f*ck it now...

Krawler68
11-11-2002, 04:23 PM
write the guy a check... I can't believe you don't carry that much cash... :flipoff2:

eight
11-11-2002, 06:50 PM
Yes, the flywheel is that much of a problem. But a few days ago, somewhere on the internet, I saw a flywheel conversion kit with clutch for under $700. When I was looking at the same thing for mine about 2 years ago, those kits were going for $1300. To make the stock flywheel last longer, don't let the truck idle much. And remember, I've got some good springs. Usually the springs fall out when it goes bad, but mine was the bearing.

Pros: Never have to replace it again. Uses a bigger clutch too. Not that you'll ever need a bigger clutch.

Cons: Shakes more.

Chadnutz
11-12-2002, 12:08 PM
My grandma loaned me $8500 for truck and tax at 4% interest. I should have the money after lunch. The savings is at least $400, but I don't get to build up credit this way. I'll keep ya'll updated.

eight
11-12-2002, 02:21 PM
Now that you're getting it.

The tires are too small and the front end is too low. Trim the front bumper, throw on some front add-a-leafs ($76 shipped from rough country suspension), and some 37" hummer tires. Superchip has an extra 80 hp waiting for you. It's a 4x4, you can't leave it stock.:D

Chadnutz
11-12-2002, 02:26 PM
The only plans I have for the truck are:

3.55s - Rear first, front later. (no 4x4 for a bit)
Front add a leafs

I'll research chips.

Tool box eventually, but not now.

Krawler68
11-12-2002, 02:32 PM
what gears are in it now?

4.10's right? WTF would you want to go to 3.55's? It'll put your RPMs at wierd spots and kill your turbo's ability to give you power.

Chadnutz
11-12-2002, 02:56 PM
Was 3.55 not a factory option?

Wouldn't that be the same difference from 4th to 5th gear?

Maybe it has power in 4th, but not so much turbo in 5th?

It screams in OD at 70 mph. Something like 2400 rpms. I didn't
check wat RPMs it was at in 4th at that speed.

Krawler68
11-12-2002, 03:50 PM
3.73 was factory... 3.55's may have been but damn that's high... leave the 4.10's you'll like them when towing... Also your RPM's will come WAY down if you put some REAL tires on there.

I turn 2500 RPM's at about 80-85 (My speedo is off).

My turbo only starts working well around 2100-2200 RPM. and you'll need to maintain that RPM for at least 10 seconds to allow the turbo time to spool up.

Doug

Chadnutz
11-12-2002, 10:34 PM
It is mine.

BigRedFord04
11-12-2002, 10:38 PM
welcome to Ford ownership. hope you've rebuilt that tool collection.

Chadnutz
11-12-2002, 10:42 PM
I haven't, but I convinced my bosses to let me buy a 251 piece Craftsman set. Why should I buy tools when I can use work tools? $$

froader03
11-12-2002, 11:04 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of ford. where no care is taken to segregate between standard and metric on any given part. and sometimes you even get to venture to the fantasy land of what ****ing size is this because the geniuses somehow managed to to create a bolt head that is neither standard or metric... I think it's called vise grip size. and the best part is all the extra nuts, bolts and washers they hide in various places so they secretly appear when you take something apart. that way in case you misplace one of the original pieces you have extras. at first I thought I was forgetting to put some of these things back on. I was later enlightened to the wise ways of ford manufacturers...

eight
11-12-2002, 11:12 PM
3.73 was NOT offered factory in that truck. If it screams (2400 rpm) at 70, you've got 4.10. 4th gear would be 3000 rpm. The only other ratio offered was 3.55.

Average mpg:

88 - 98 had options of 3.55 or 4.10 only

94 F-350 2wd CC 33s 4.10 - 14 mpg
94 F-350 2wd CC 33s 3.55 - 17 mpg
94 F-350 4wd CC 285s 4.10 - 16 mpg
same with 35s 16.5 mpg
97 F-250 4wd XC 285s 4.10 - 12 mpg

99 and up have options of 3.73 or 4.10 only, and higher overdrive

99 F-250 4wd CC 315s 3.73 - 16 mpg
99 F-250 4wd XC 315s 3.73 auto - 15 mpg
00 F-350 dually 4wd CC 255s 3.73 - 14 mpg
02 F-350 dually 4wd XC 235s 4.10 - 13 mpg
00 Excursion 2wd 265s 3.73 auto - 17 mpg

Dodge 2500 4wd XC 35s 3.55 auto - 17.3 mpg

35" tires will make your 4.10 gears the equivalent of 3.73 with stock tires. I think that's perfect for that truck. 37s are cheaper. Like Doug said, it needs to spin about 2200 rpm to make power.

You won't "need" a power chip untill you ride in a truck with one. Want to? You'll never beat my Dodge.:D

crawlingno5
11-13-2002, 12:41 AM
get ready for the oil pan gasket to start leaking.

BigRedFord04
11-13-2002, 12:42 AM
...and rear main.

froader03
11-13-2002, 01:14 AM
banks powerpack

Chadnutz
11-13-2002, 07:49 AM
I don't want 35s.

Krawler68
11-13-2002, 11:47 AM
no he's always been the guy who wants the smallest tires possible...secretly i've wondered why he didn't just join "Lowered Expectations" or some other low rider club... he drives a mazda and has parnelli Jones tires...I think he'd fit in...

That powerjokeneeds at least 35's and a set of 16.5x10" rims...
to clear that boat anchor front and rear axle combo and give it a more stable stance.

Seth
11-13-2002, 12:18 PM
The only real input i have here is on the add a leaves. I have the type that arch, not the flat ones, and i hate them. The ride sucks worse than stock unless I have a REALLY heavy load in the bed. I just can't imagine having then in the front and riding rougher than it is already. If you are going with the flat ones then ignore all this.
Seth

Chadnutz
11-13-2002, 12:33 PM
I said that not knowing how tall the tires are that are on it right now. I guess they are about 33s and I said I wanted bigger than 33s, so hell, I guess that means 35s.

Anyone know how tall 265 R16s are?

Seth
11-13-2002, 02:00 PM
you have to have the aspest ratio number as well to fig out the height -- so are they 75 or 85??

Seth

BigRedFord04
11-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Seth
The only real input i have here is on the add a leaves. I have the type that arch, not the flat ones, and i hate them. The ride sucks worse than stock unless I have a REALLY heavy load in the bed. I just can't imagine having then in the front and riding rougher than it is already. If you are going with the flat ones then ignore all this.
Seth

Nix used a curved one in the back of his truck...not necessarily for lift but to help the ride, and that it did...instead of BOTH tires coming off the ground at the same time when he hits a bump, now only does. :D I would have to consider the NigRedFord a special case though

Chadnutz
11-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Using a measuring tape the tires are a hair over 30". This means hell no to 35s. 33s max.

Chadnutz
12-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Voltage regulater went out today. I jump started it with the old faithful Mazda and drove it to the dentist. It stayed at about 10 volts the whole way. I left it running while I had a quick little braces operation. When I got back to it, it was at 8 volts. As I drove towards O'Reilly's to diagnose it, it kept getting lower and lower. Them my guages and radio quit working. Got stopped at the light at University and Texas Ave. When I started it died right in the middle of the intersection. Thankfully some guys from the Chevron helped me push it (a heavy somebitch) to Uhaul. I drove old faithful to work and I'll be buying the part later this afternoon.

aggielr
12-20-2002, 12:45 PM
think its the voltage, not pressure regulator eh?

Chadnutz
12-20-2002, 01:04 PM
haha good call..

Chadnutz
12-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Electrical potential, much like compressed air has potential, but rather than get technical, I'll just say that I'm going to:

Drive on down to the parts store and buy me a doo hicky to go on the back of my thingamajiggy.

Chadnutz
04-16-2003, 12:10 PM
Awww, a moment.

And many more...

Chadnutz
12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Ryan, you said to get new tires but I'll bet you didn't want me to get the set you wanted to buy.

AgDieseler
12-05-2003, 07:53 PM
How are the rpms now?

Chadnutz
12-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Gotta recal the speedo and then I'll know.

Chadnutz
08-01-2005, 12:19 PM
In true Chadnutz fashion:

http://www.tamor.org/members-rigs/albums/Powerstroke/200k.sized.jpg

aggieblazer07
08-01-2005, 12:26 PM
I hit 280,000 on saturday :gigem:

uglyota
08-01-2005, 12:35 PM
In true Chadnutz fashion:
are you going to delete the thread now?

Chadnutz
08-01-2005, 01:09 PM
I'll keep this one for all the ones that were against me getting a ****ty powerstroke. :flipoff2:

Fredo
08-01-2005, 01:22 PM
200k....lightweight. Come talk to me when your gas motor clears 265k. :)

uglyota
08-01-2005, 01:23 PM
Ugly truck's getting close!

AgDieseler
08-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Fredo
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
i said gas motor

JB
08-01-2005, 03:22 PM
http://twiggs.org/images/5203-bakery-crisp-chocolate-chip-cookie.jpg

Fredo
08-01-2005, 03:28 PM
that's a gross looking cookie....kinda like a **** cookie....i hope that's for david and not me. :flipoff2:

Chadnutz
08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm sure it's for me...but sugar cookies are my favorite. :flipoff2:

aggieblazer07
08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
200k....lightweight. Come talk to me when your gas motor clears 265k. :)

my gas motor had 267,000 when it went. we sold one that had 323,000 :gigem:

AgDieseler
08-01-2005, 03:55 PM
that's a gross looking cookie....kinda like a **** cookie....i hope that's for david and not me. :flipoff2:
That's mine, *****! I guess I get an "N" for "shares well with others."

uglyota
08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
N!? Was I in the last wave of children who actually got grades?
Negative reinforcement made me what I am today! :D

jerryg79
08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
mine turned 69 miles on sunday :flipoff2:

jerryg79
08-01-2005, 05:20 PM
That's mine, *****! I guess I get an "N" for "shares well with others."

Fred always gets "Frowny Faces" for Plays well with Kiesewetters :D

Fredo
08-01-2005, 05:38 PM
you know what, you're a joke doug. :gigem: