PDA

View Full Version : 99 PSD dually

Pages : 1 [2]

Eckert
09-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Cam sensor I think makes it die completely not start at all.

Was your oil filter that dirty, or air? If oil, I would change it and see why its so nasty.

oil filter was fine. air filter was dirty. it just runs like complete ass. he was on his way to houston when it did it again. susposedly he had to put it in low range to make it move. took my dodge to houston. i drove it around town and its running just fine now.

seems to think it has to do with the harness where it connects into the head for the injectors. i dunno.

agjohn02
09-26-2008, 05:56 PM
my dad had to have his harness replaced under the valve cover on his 2000 PS. it would die running down the highway. i think it was a factory recall, cant remember for sure though.

BroncoJo
09-27-2008, 08:31 AM
my dad had to have his harness replaced under the valve cover on his 2000 PS. it would die running down the highway. i think it was a factory recall, cant remember for sure though.

Its a pretty common problem but I dont think it was recalled, I'll have to check though. Hopefully this is a cheap fix.

BroncoJo
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
damn thing wont start, figured it was the batteries so I replaced one, they said the other was good. put them back in still wont start, doesn't even make a noise when I turn the key. I had one ground cable thats kinda ****ed but I thought it was on plenty fine.

I'm going to replace that cable but could it be a bad starter? I would figure that it should at least try to roll over.

J Cooper
12-02-2008, 11:57 AM
no silenoid clicking? bad silenoid?

did you try the old fashioned beating of the starter with a hammer? gear could be stuck.

never underestimate ground cables-- they are needed

is there a blue thing on the grille?

BroncoJo
12-02-2008, 12:02 PM
turn key to run and dash lights up, bells and whistles go off, and radio lights up. turn key to start and silence, no clicking that I can hear.

About to replace ground cable but I think I remember a neighbor's truck doing this but can't remember why it was a fuse or relay I think.

jerryg79
12-02-2008, 12:04 PM
is there a blue thing on the grille?

well played sir!

Eckert
12-02-2008, 12:08 PM
turn key to run and dash lights up, bells and whistles go off, and radio lights up. turn key to start and silence, no clicking that I can hear.

About to replace ground cable but I think I remember a neighbor's truck doing this but can't remember why it was a fuse or relay I think.

i say it was a bad relay that melted and burned that whole ***** to the ground. what deters electrical gremlins?

J Cooper
12-02-2008, 12:10 PM
ya i would check the starter relay... i guess that is what keeps silenoids from burning up on newer vehicles.

pull it out and jump the terminals... see if it clicks

eight
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Tap on the starter. The truck is definately old enough to have a bad starter. I think there is a good alternator/starter shop in Bryan. Having it rebuilt is usually about $100 and you get better quality than a much more expensive rebuilt starter from a parts store.

Reckless
12-02-2008, 01:20 PM
I think the old 7.3s could use a john deere starter with some minor tweaking

DRAGOONRANCH
12-02-2008, 02:05 PM
one place is right across the street from the carwash on texas down in bryan. I think there is a churches chicken around there too. They have rebuilt alternator for our tractors before. Me thinks the place is grey and an old service station. The other does electric motors, but don't know about starters and such. They do a good job also, but might take a while there as they have lots of business most of the time.

BroncoJo
12-02-2008, 03:05 PM
starter sileniod, replaced it and starts fine. I wonder if the fresh batteries just fried the ***** or just wore the **** out. everything else needed to be replace so I dont feel that bad.

william_ace
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM
you are welcome