PDA

View Full Version : 99 PSD dually

Pages : [1] 2

BroncoJo
12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Dad picked up my new DD today I wont get it till saterday.

1999 PSD, drw, crew, cab, ZF6, 200,000 miles (high miles but price was right)
4x4 with manuel shift tcase and I think the duallys have the d60 but I'll check.
3.73 gears with limited slip, front and rear replacements, leaf added to front
It seems to be well taken care of and not been towed with.

What is needs:
Gooseneck hitch
trailerbrakes
tires fairly soon, thinking 255/85/16 bfg mts (33.3x10.2) but open to sugestions.

Plans:
Touch up paint in a few spot
center consol top (where they allways crack)
cut out air box and replace with filter
re work exhaust, probably straight pipe till I can afford a system.
DP tuner that I have heard so much about
gauges
hope to get another 2-3 years, 100,000 mile and 18-20 mpg out of motor.
This aint going to be no black smoking race truck either.

AggieTJ2007
12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
my suggestion is no tuner, maybe exhaust keep it simple and keep it stock you will have alot less problems

The 3.73s will be nice, ive got 4:10's in my 97 srw and they suck the diesel

DRAGOONRANCH
12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
x2 what creighton said. had 4.10's in the '04 and it wasn't too good either. Pull a house down though.

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 12:04 AM
ya I'm figuring and hoping for some decent mpg with the 3.73, 6 speed, 33's and a good econo tune. He said it was getting 15.5 mpg and its got them little 235's on it now. Its sad to say but all I could get out of my half ton was 13-16.6 mpg and about 7 with an empty trailer.

I'm just glad I dont have to drive to houston any time I need to haul anything.

tigweld
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
I would not put a chip on it with that many miles, you will find that the high pressure oil pump will not like it, and it sucks to get to replace cause u gotta pull the tranny back to get to it

jerryg79
12-05-2007, 09:05 AM
didnt that year model come with JB Weld Transmissions? Or is that just the 250's?

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I would not put a chip on it with that many miles, you will find that the high pressure oil pump will not like it, and it sucks to get to replace cause u gotta pull the tranny back to get to it

ya I wasn't thrilled about that, but most people I know that have had problems came from a ****ty chip, and driving with thier foot in it all the time. I figure a chip would be worth it for daily driving and stock for any load but I'll probably hold off on the chip for a while untill I do everything else I want.

eight
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
I'd put a chip in it. It's a 7.3, they like chips. Haven't found any that will actually give better mileage though. 255/85/16 BFG MTs will fit fine. We ran into some trouble with a different brand of the same size of tires on my dad's old dually, they were a little wider and would rub sometimes. 15.5 would be pretty good mileage for that truck, but not really more than you can expect. My dad should have a programmer to sell. I think he's got 2 and soon to have only one 7.3 truck. I think he'd be selling the hypertech one, 60hp.

One thing you need to do on those 6 speed trucks:
There are little plastic bushings in the clutch linkage, replace them. You have to get them at the dealer but they're a couple bucks each. I think the main reason of the transmission ever giving problems is because the bushings are worn out and damage the gears. I had a 94 with a bad transmission because of this and my dad's 99 has troubles from the same cause.

Straight pipe on those trucks isn't very loud. The turbo knocks out most of the noise. It's only really loud if you go to a larger diameter.

FJAggie07
12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
I am with all these guys on the chip, but I wouldn't personally drop the money for BFG Mt's. Why put a mud terrain on a tow truck? get the look you want out of some aggressive AT's and get more mileage and a better ride. Those beasts didn't have a great ride to begin with so I wouldn't do anything to make it worse. Good Lookin truck tho.

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
I'd put a chip in it. It's a 7.3, they like chips. Haven't found any that will actually give better mileage though. 255/85/16 BFG MTs will fit fine. We ran into some trouble with a different brand of the same size of tires on my dad's old dually, they were a little wider and would rub sometimes. 15.5 would be pretty good mileage for that truck, but not really more than you can expect. My dad should have a programmer to sell. I think he's got 2 and soon to have only one 7.3 truck. I think he'd be selling the hypertech one, 60hp.

One thing you need to do on those 6 speed trucks:
There are little plastic bushings in the clutch linkage, replace them. You have to get them at the dealer but they're a couple bucks each. I think the main reason of the transmission ever giving problems is because the bushings are worn out and damage the gears. I had a 94 with a bad transmission because of this and my dad's 99 has troubles from the same cause.

Straight pipe on those trucks isn't very loud. The turbo knocks out most of the noise. It's only really loud if you go to a larger diameter.

Thats how I was thinking. We have had some pretty good milage increases 2-5 mpg, but thats entirly how you drive it. Striaght piped to start and will more than likely stay that way.

I have heard about those bushings I will deffinently chack on that.

I would like some wider tires on the front, just because I hate it when you park and come back and the front has sank about 4 inches. Although I will probably just keap the same size all the way aroung for simplicity. We normally run 285's on the front of 2wds and rarely have problems (using common sence).

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I am with all these guys on the chip, but I wouldn't personally drop the money for BFG Mt's. Why put a mud terrain on a tow truck? get the look you want out of some aggressive AT's and get more mileage and a better ride. Those beasts didn't have a great ride to begin with so I wouldn't do anything to make it worse. Good Lookin truck tho.

255/85/16 is about 170 a tire and the last set we got lasted 60k miles (on a srw)
Trucks ride like trucks and thats fine with me, :gigem:

edit- Every truck we get, gets mud grips this is just going to be the first that gets them on the front too. :gigem:

FJAggie07
12-05-2007, 09:38 AM
255/85/16 is about 170 a tire and the last set we got lasted 60k miles (on a srw)
Trucks ride like trucks and thats fine with me, :gigem:

Damn didn't realize they were that cheap. Sounds like you got it all figured out.

Sharpe
12-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Because sometimes at places like Alto your tow rig needs 4wd and fairly aggresive tires to maneuver around the loose, sandy campground with 7k or more of trailer attached. That and filling feeders, livestock, etc. at the ranchito.

FJAggie07
12-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Because sometimes at places like Alto your tow rig needs 4wd and fairly aggresive tires to maneuver around the loose, sandy campground with 7k or more of trailer attached. That and filling feeders, livestock, etc. at the ranchito.

Nonsense. I had an 89 GMC Dually with the 454 that was 2wd and I used that around my ranch for 3 years clearing property in the east texas sand. Maybe got it stuck a total of three times pulling brush around on a 25' Gooseneck in some sand but thats what you have the tractor and chain for. You think I had expensive mt's on it? Hell no! :flipoff2:

besides he aint on the ranch he is driving around College Station.

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
\
besides he aint on the ranch he is 30 minutes away in college station

fixed it for you :flipoff2:

KrazyKarl02
12-05-2007, 01:44 PM
didnt that year model come with JB Weld Transmissions? Or is that just the 250's?

Yes the '99 F250's have a special "race modified" JB weld transmission :flipoff2:

Cool truck though, I had seen on Houston Craigslist I think. I think the guy was asking 15k if memory serves.....

If you ever have to remove the tranny you better eat your wheaties and have a big pocket book. The tranny weighs about a billion pounds and has to be removed with the T-Case :) Additionally a new clutch typically comes with a new fly wheel cause Ford boofed it up so bad, so take a normal clutch job and multiply by 2.

BroncoJo
12-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Does it really ****ing matter? Every diesel fag up here thinks they "use" there truck because they hook up to a trailer from time to time. The fact is diesels are not needed but a luxury, in the not so distant past every farmer/rancher/weekend warrior made it just fine with gas motors that barely made 200 HP. Thick Black smoke is also pointless except for personal enjoyment, Its a waste of fuel, bad for the enviroment, and pisses off other drivers.

Now Thats My opinion and lets leave this thread for fixing up my new Truck.

I probably should have known better to even mention any preformance Mod, oh well **** happens.

william_ace
12-05-2007, 11:06 PM
now who can clean this thread up? no one cares about the other crap. its travis's F-350 thread. i think you'll be more than happy with the 3.73's and a little HP boost from a chip

Reckless
12-05-2007, 11:15 PM
I agree with will. With what i have in my Dmax, even a few more hp is nice especially with the throttle response. A little less spool time is nice.

Edit: Douched my part :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
12-05-2007, 11:26 PM
dimmit Rowdy, why'd ya go and clean it up. I was going to nominate this for the classics forum.....

:flipoff3:

StevenAg03
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Thick Black smoke is also pointless except for personal enjoyment, Its a waste of fuel, bad for the enviroment, and pisses off other drivers.

it helps with tailgaters... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/93C_peelout[1].gif :flipoff2:

TxCruzr
12-06-2007, 12:12 AM
it helps with tailgaters... http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/images/smilies/93C_peelout[1].gif :flipoff2:

yeah, if you're a girl...real men pull the e-brake :flipoff2:

texasxj
12-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Yall have got to stop, Im not getting anything done on my projects:laughing:

FJAggie07
12-06-2007, 12:38 AM
you're all a bunch of diesel wanna be fags. go start up a new thread about your new truck and we will see how fast we can **** on it. :gigem: :flipoff2:

StevenAg03
12-06-2007, 12:33 PM
you're all a bunch of diesel wanna be fags. go start up a new thread about your new truck and we will see how fast we can **** on it. :gigem: :flipoff2:

here you go FAGGIEJ07 :flipoff2:

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8831 (http://)

or

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8696 (http://)

FJAggie07
12-06-2007, 12:36 PM
I tell you what that joke NEVER gets old....

Seth
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
linky no worky

jerryg79
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I tell you what that joke NEVER gets old....

you're welcome :flipoff2:

wolverton your link works as good as grayson's old limp wiener

BroncoJo
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
thanks for the thread clean up :gigem: now back on topic

StevenAg03
12-06-2007, 03:36 PM
is this better?

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8831

and

http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8696

BroncoJo
12-13-2007, 04:20 PM
first tank mostly highway but some city 14.5 mpg.

Chadnutz
12-13-2007, 10:24 PM
first tank mostly highway but some city 14.5 mpg.

That's what I get.

I suggest not getting a programmer. People that do their research at thedieselstop.com get selectable chips from beansdieselperformance.com, etc. It's much better to get a selectable chip that you can change on the fly. I have an economy mode, but I don't use it because it makes the truck even louder than it already is. If you ever live in a city with emissions testing during inspections or if you ever take it in for service you can easily put it in stock mode. I noticed no increase in fuel economy with the chip. Now with the 3.08s, that's another story...... :flipoff2: You will get smoke when you lay into it, but the chip has several steps up so you can pick how much smoke/power you get at any given time. I have not heard anyone on thedieselstop.com that got problems from a chip ruining their high mileage engine. I have 225k and I rag the **** out of mine with injectors. You aren't using the full potential of the chip all the time.

Nice looking truck. Enjoy diesel prices. :flipoff2:

TS Performance 6 Position Chip (http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/99-03chips.htm)

eight
12-14-2007, 09:18 AM
So what do people say about chips for 6 liters? I'm getting 12 mpg with my 4 mile trip to work and back. ****ty mileage but somehow I still don't burn much fuel. The truck previously had an edge juice with monitor and then a SCT, neither got better mileage. My mother's excursion has that TS chip with knob I think, and it gets excellent mileage but we've never tried without it. We tried a superchip in one with no better mileage either. ****ty thing is, I only get about 14 at 75 on the interstate, but 19 at 65, but I have no patience.

agjohn02
12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
you need one of these. prolly have to fight robbie for it though.

StevenAg03
12-17-2007, 06:37 PM
i think robbies next move is some stacks like these... :flipoff2:

BroncoJo
12-17-2007, 07:24 PM
That's what I get.

I suggest not getting a programmer. People that do their research at thedieselstop.com get selectable chips from beansdieselperformance.com, etc. It's much better to get a selectable chip that you can change on the fly. I have an economy mode, but I don't use it because it makes the truck even louder than it already is. If you ever live in a city with emissions testing during inspections or if you ever take it in for service you can easily put it in stock mode. I noticed no increase in fuel economy with the chip. Now with the 3.08s, that's another story...... :flipoff2: You will get smoke when you lay into it, but the chip has several steps up so you can pick how much smoke/power you get at any given time. I have not heard anyone on thedieselstop.com that got problems from a chip ruining their high mileage engine. I have 225k and I rag the **** out of mine with injectors. You aren't using the full potential of the chip all the time.

Nice looking truck. Enjoy diesel prices. :flipoff2:

TS Performance 6 Position Chip (http://www.beansdieselperformance.com/99-03chips.htm)

thats the chip i have been planning on getting, no idea how soon though. Probably work on the airbox/exhaust first, then try to figure out a way to set up some decent looking gauges that arn't on the pillar.

edit- yall are genius, diamond plate stacks :flipoff2:

CheapJeep
12-18-2007, 12:10 AM
:laughing:
Dang, dem r sum cul payp's.

StevenAg03
12-18-2007, 03:24 AM
:laughing:
Dang, dem r sum cul payp's.

Pennsylvania's finest!!! :gigem:

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Is there a good truck/4x4/not jose's do it all shop around here? Need to order some shocks and maybe some other stuff.

agjohn02
02-01-2008, 01:50 PM
oddly enough, i think Chop's is probably the best 4x4 shop around that i know of.

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 01:59 PM
oddly enough, i think Chop's is probably the best 4x4 shop around that i know of.

Where's that at?

agjohn02
02-01-2008, 02:01 PM
hwy 30

google/yahoo map it

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 02:03 PM
I did and it gave two adresses both saying hw 30 but each at different locations

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=chops&near=College+Station,+TX&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1#

agjohn02
02-01-2008, 02:06 PM
so call them and ask them for directions. i dont know how far they are from the harvey light.

jerryg79
02-01-2008, 04:16 PM
take a right you can't miss it. if you hit huntsville you've gone too far.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 04:34 PM
is it out around c & j's? or further out past the old cut site?

Doug Krebs
02-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Put this into google maps 30.648933,-96.263387 I'm pretty sure it's that building. If it's not it's one of the one's in that little area.

agjohn02
02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
GPS? youre kidding me? are you trying to drop a bomb on them or just go get some work done?

jerryg79
02-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Put this into google maps 30.648933,-96.263387 I'm pretty sure it's that building. If it's not it's one of the one's in that little area.

see if you can raise them on the ham:flipoff2:

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 09:17 PM
wow, its not that hard I just thought that "other spot" might have been a second, closer, location. I didn't go by today, Trying to decide if I want to drop some serious money at one time or little by little. nothing really needs to be replaced except shocks right now.

william_ace
02-01-2008, 09:20 PM
unit bearings need to be replaced with the dynatrac kit!

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
unit bearings need to be replaced with the dynatrac kit!

and you need to give me $1600.

william_ace
02-01-2008, 09:59 PM
paypal complete

JB
02-01-2008, 10:44 PM
wow, its not that hard I just thought that "other spot" might have been a second, closer, location. I didn't go by today, Trying to decide if I want to drop some serious money at one time or little by little. nothing really needs to be replaced except shocks right now.

you can't replace the shocks yourself?

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 10:46 PM
and you need to give me $1600.

paypal complete

Damn, I got some ocean front property in AZ that I would like you to try to sell for me. :gigem:

BroncoJo
02-01-2008, 11:04 PM
you can't replace the shocks yourself?

just need someone to order them, 4wheel parts pissed me off.

edit: Just wondering if there was a good offroad shop up here since I get tired of sending all my money to corperate chain part houses.

Seth
02-01-2008, 11:26 PM
chops isnt bad, talk to mike, hes a straight shooter. not always cheapest, but good.

william_ace
02-02-2008, 01:15 AM
how are the gears holding up seth?

Seth
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
no problems at all. they are 4.1 though, i still have the 4.56 from you.

BroncoJo
02-19-2008, 09:38 PM
AFE Filter top replacement. Took all of 4 minutes and seems like a waste of money. I needed a new filter and am not a fan of the factory airbox. I think I can tell a power difference... Now all I need is a bag of chips:flipoff2:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/3afeairfilter.jpg

scottsdale87
02-20-2008, 02:18 AM
BBQ all the way!:flipoff2:

eight
02-20-2008, 09:00 AM
You change the exhaust yet? That makes more of a difference. Straight pipe is not loud at all, turbo kills the noise.

agjohn02
02-20-2008, 09:17 AM
AFE Filter top replacement. Took all of 4 minutes and seems like a waste of money. I needed a new filter and am not a fan of the factory airbox. I think I can tell a power difference... Now all I need is a bag of chips:flipoff2:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/3afeairfilter.jpg

my dad called me yesterday about a ford factory replacement airbox that costs $500. he said they changed the design so they wont break and let in lots of crap.

how much was this one and do you know anything about this?

http://www.dieselpowersite.com/showthread.php?p=382

DRAGOONRANCH
02-20-2008, 09:37 AM
AFE makes a great product. I really liked the one on the ford, just wish I had bought the one that was a toploader instead of the ghey canister type in the 6pointOhs.

Who's your Amsoil dealer?

BroncoJo
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Truck is all ready straight piped, being a dually you can hardly hear a difference even with the windows down.

I paid 200 shipped for the filter setup, I'm kinda disapointed in the AFE filter itself. Its the "Dry S filter" thats says its a lifetime but requires no cleanning only "tapping".:confused:

I think to actualy get more performance I also need to modify the airbox to let more air in. Would anybody see anything wrong with cutting out the side thats closest to the fender?

edit- Dammit I got the wrong setup, off by 1 part number. I should check better when dealling in person with four wheel parts. I was wanting the "radial flow wasable filter" instead of the Dry S one, and its a wopping 12 dollars difference.

Eckert
02-20-2008, 02:20 PM
You change the exhaust yet? That makes more of a difference. Straight pipe is not loud at all, turbo kills the noise.

i raise my flag. 7.3L also have a horrible "picket fence" or whatever you wish to call it from the turbo.

and id vote drill some holes. i didnt feel like paying $200+ for a intake. so i bought a AFE proguard dropin filter and cut up my stock airbox.

BroncoJo
02-20-2008, 03:15 PM
i raise my flag. 7.3L also have a horrible "picket fence" or whatever you wish to call it from the turbo.

and id vote drill some holes. i didnt feel like paying $200+ for a intake. so i bought a AFE proguard dropin filter and cut up my stock airbox.

Sound doesn't bother me, I like it better than the 4 or 5 inch system which act like a megaphone.

I feel ripped off now, I like the idea of the top that seal around the hood to cut back on the heat but I was expecting a higher quality filter. The dropin proguard seemed pretty pointless to me due to the bad factory box design.

william_ace
02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
its really not loud at all. i was suprised to hear that is was straight piped

Seth
02-20-2008, 05:26 PM
i have heard those filters are cleanable. they used to have a video on the website, just dropped in a 5 gallon bucket.

BroncoJo
02-22-2008, 07:03 PM
This is why I don't like leveling kits
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/4loadofdirt.jpg

DRAGOONRANCH
02-22-2008, 10:39 PM
You do realise that you have nearly a couple tonns of sand (more if the moisture content is high). You have a bed liner in that truck?

agjohn02
02-23-2008, 02:04 AM
any truck will sit arse low when overloaded. ed, put this on the big dumb loads thread!

DRAGOONRANCH
02-23-2008, 04:11 AM
Ok, there is no license plates or club stickers in it, so I will just say somebody saw it in arkansas or oklahoma or somewhere. ;)

BroncoJo
02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
I would bet it was about 5,000 lbs, 2 yards of some wet ass clay. How was that overloaded? I was nowhere close to hitting the bumpstops, tires are good and the brakes fair.

edit- The official payload is 5,000 lbs therefore I was officialy not overloaded :flipoff2:

Seth
02-23-2008, 12:19 PM
nice. reminds me of the song, "brakes are good, tires fair"

BroncoJo
02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
nice. reminds me of the song, "brakes are good, tires fair"

I thought that too after I wrote it, I was going to change it but I would then be lying.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-23-2008, 11:28 PM
I would bet it was about 5,000 lbs, 2 yards of some wet ass clay. How was that overloaded? I was nowhere close to hitting the bumpstops, tires are good and the brakes fair.

edit- The official payload is 5,000 lbs therefore I was officialy not overloaded :flipoff2:

How did you come about this official weight. Is that just what they charged you, or did they scale it out? Wet excevated clay weighs about 115 lbs/cubic foot. That looks to be about 2 - 2 1/2 cubic yards of dirt, so you are looking at 7500lbs.

BroncoJo
02-24-2008, 03:24 AM
How did you come about this official weight. Is that just what they charged you, or did they scale it out? Wet excevated clay weighs about 115 lbs/cubic foot. That looks to be about 2 - 2 1/2 cubic yards of dirt, so you are looking at 7500lbs.

By my officialy-calibrated eye. I figured about 2500 lbs a yard and 2 yards. I have a box in the back of the truck, so I dont even think I got a whole 2 yards.

either way it sure doesn't look like 5,000 lbs of dirt now that is out of the truck.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-24-2008, 04:28 AM
Even with the box, I bet you still have the 2 cubic yards there. The bed will hold about 3 level full, and you have a pretty good bit above the rails in there

BroncoJo
02-24-2008, 11:07 AM
well actualy being there in person I figure about 2 yards or less, as I have said before. I figure that un-packed sand will weigh about 2,100-2,300 lbs, since this had some clay mixed in I added a couple hundred pounds for the clay chunks that were in it. Dirt expands alot when dropped from a bucket. Either way the truck was not overloaded, it looked that way from the 2-3 inches of lift on the front and was not unsafe by any means.

william_ace
02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
haha the internet is funny

BroncoJo
02-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Didn't mean to sound like an asswipe in the last post.

After embarrassing myself by getting a bilistien shock stuck, up-side down, for about a half hour on my truck I measured the bed. The truck will hold almost exactly 2 yards with my box in it(level to the top).

I might have "overloaded" the truck that day though when I pulled my neighbors dodge out which was hooked up to a 24 foot gooseneck. I deffinitly had plenty of traction though.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-24-2008, 11:06 PM
What were the measurements on the bed (I just want them for reference, not to dispute anything you said)? I might have came across as a bit of asswipeish myself there at the end. I never did think that you were overloaded, just gettin real close to the limit of what I would want to haul. I have had a yard or more dumped in the bed of my old S10 one time, and it looked way worse than the lean your's had. Thank the lord for rear bumpstops. :D

BroncoJo
02-25-2008, 06:30 PM
What were the measurements on the bed (I just want them for reference, not to dispute anything you said)? I might have came across as a bit of asswipeish myself there at the end. I never did think that you were overloaded, just gettin real close to the limit of what I would want to haul. I have had a yard or more dumped in the bed of my old S10 one time, and it looked way worse than the lean your's had. Thank the lord for rear bumpstops. :D

Don't remember exact measurements but I think they were 74.5x64.5x20.5. It equalled out to like 1.997yards

DRAGOONRANCH
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
That's including the box in the bed I take it?

BroncoJo
02-26-2008, 01:34 AM
yes

BroncoJo
03-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Impressed with the new intake. Achieved a record high mpg of 14.52, thats roughly a .34% increase.:gigem: Seriously thats pretty good as I was expecting 12-13 from that tank.

agjohn02
03-04-2008, 11:28 AM
my dad ordered the AFE but was informed that it was not a good choice for extreme duty use. anyone know of another aftermarket filter housing that is better at filtering and not all about diesel rice?

BroncoJo
03-04-2008, 01:08 PM
my dad ordered the AFE but was informed that it was not a good choice for extreme duty use. anyone know of another aftermarket filter housing that is better at filtering and not all about diesel rice?

Why is this in my thread? and what the f uck is extreme duty use? get the proguard.

Eckert
03-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Why is this in my thread? and what the f uck is extreme duty use? get the proguard.

extreme duty is what happens in your front yard :flipoff2:

14.5? id park it and drive one of the fords at $3.50 a gallon.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
John, amsoil make a good one, but the AFE is not a bad setup, just make sure to the the stage 2.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2008, 01:51 PM
extreme duty is what happens the morning after a good night at the chicken and a healthy breakfast at coco loco's :flipoff2:

14.5? id park it and walk at $3.50 a gallon.

fixed it

agjohn02
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM

because this is hardly a build thread. therefore i treat it as a tech thread.

"extreme duty", as they call it, is duty where the truck is used as a work truck and leaves the pavement.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The afe will work for that, just will need to be cleaned and oiled more often.

agjohn02
03-04-2008, 02:08 PM
The afe will work for that, just will need to be cleaned and oiled more often.

right, he's just looking for a filter that wont have to be cleaned so often. that was the problem with the stock filter box. it had to be cleaned often and the poor design on the box caused it to break from being opened so much. ford claims their new box is better at keeping crap out. just looking for a cheaper option.

DRAGOONRANCH
03-04-2008, 02:12 PM
cheap and air filter should not be used together on a $8-10k engine. ;)

BroncoJo
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
because this is hardly a build thread. therefore i treat it as a tech thread.

"extreme duty", as they call it, is duty where the truck is used as a work truck and leaves the pavement.

Ok well your definition of "extreme duty" seems like using a truck for what its made for. I call that "normal duty".

This is a tech thread, but in the build up sub-section because I'm "building my truck up" to achieve better milage. eitherway I'm happy with my set-up, I'm going to order the proguard filter when I get some cash, and the factory design keeps the air box fairly clean from my expereinces. I will soon cut some high performance air flow holes on the fender side which will probably let more **** in.

eckert- 14.52 is the best I have ever gotten in any of my v-8 trucks.

eight
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Put a wicked wheel in the turbo. It's good stuff. Picks up boost faster and doesn't cavitate at the top end like the stock one does.

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Even though I have been busy as hell during my short brake I have managed to install my bag of chips and total out some other dudes car.

I got rear ended in the pouring ass rain by a 87 buick. The impact hardly woke up a buddy in the back seat and yet destoyed the car, he did end up walking away. Now I cant deside if I should just make his insurence pay for a new tailgate, light cover, and paint my bumper or just have them right me a check and deal with a couple of scratches. From ten feet away you can't even tell it has been hit.

With my mpg extremly sucking latly(10-14) and driving alot again I went ahead and installed a chip. I haven't ran through a full tank so dont have any mpg numbers yet. This is my first experience with a dp tuner and so far I like it alot better than superchips and hyperwhat-nots I have had before. I cheaped out and skipped getting the "race" tune but in econo mode It goes a hell of a lot faster than I should go and blows alot more smoke than wanted.

agjohn02
05-20-2008, 01:49 AM
This aint going to be no black smoking race truck either.

It goes a hell of a lot faster than I should go and blows alot more smoke than wanted.

i knew it!:flipoff2:

RCcola55
05-20-2008, 02:04 AM
i wanna see your mpg with the DP compared to my TS, the other day i got almost 19 on the hwy, but my city mileage still sucks

Seth
05-20-2008, 08:18 AM
he also has an extra set of wheels.

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I seriously dout I could get 19, I have alot of extra weight. I'm really hoping for an increase in the city (was about 13) and towing (was ****ty), now I can actualy get up to speed before the next light and use alot less pedal doing it.

I'm going to work on opening up my intake but I dout it will make any smoke go away. Also with all this new found power the ***** is probably running hotter so I might do a 4in down pipe. It scares me not knowing the temps but I hate those pillar gauges.

cox-:flipoff2::flipoff2::D

Sharpe
05-20-2008, 10:09 AM
I would take the money and live with the scratches. Of course with this mentality trucks end up looking like my crewcab...

eight
05-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I've seen an improvement of mileage with the SCT I put in my ford. Getting about 12 going to work and back now. Will see what it does on the highway this weekend. Should get about 17 where it used to get 14. But I have a 6.0. Never saw any gain with any chip on the 7.3s.

It will also light up the 35s from a rolling start.

I expect the best gains when pulling. My dad's 06 dually has been getting about the same mileage pulling his bulldozer as I've been getting pulling the boat. He also get terrible mileage without the chip.

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 11:19 AM
today is the first time I got to drive in the day light with "econo mode", and I call bull **** on mpg gains. The black smoke does not ****ing stop pouring out with anything more than about 1500 rpms, with that being it still goes faster from a stop with rpms < 1500 than compared to stock. I might just have to keap it in "tow mode" which is like 20 hp boost or something.

eight- most of my buddies with 6.0's get 20+ on the highway and around 17-19 in the city, although they have that fancy MPG reader in the over head consol that might be filling them full of ****.

eight
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
They probably don't roll as high as I do.

The 12 mpg to work and back doesn't bother me. Its 3 miles in traffic and takes about 15 minutes to get there, 4.5 miles back home.

"Econo mode" is crap. Best mileage gains is usually on the highest setting. I think mine's on 100ish hp setting. Never had a problem with a 7.3 blowing smoke except when shifting (manual). That was with 60-80 hp programmers of various make. Only time one blew much smoke was when the wastegate spring fell off. Get a wicked wheel.

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
They probably don't roll as high as I do.

The 12 mpg to work and back doesn't bother me. Its 3 miles in traffic and takes about 15 minutes to get there, 4.5 miles back home.

"Econo mode" is crap. Best mileage gains is usually on the highest setting. I think mine's on 100ish hp setting. Never had a problem with a 7.3 blowing smoke except when shifting (manual). That was with 60-80 hp programmers of various make. Only time one blew much smoke was when the wastegate spring fell off. Get a wicked wheel.

He said econo mode would put my truck about 100 hp over stock, he offered a 120hp race mode but i didn't figure that was necessary. quater throttle in any gear will puff smoke out, Im hoping this causes me to have an even lighter foot.

I thought wicked wheel actualy cut down on power, very little from what i'm told.? They are also supose to lower egt right?

RCcola55
05-20-2008, 01:34 PM
summit sells a few different gauge pod options one mounts below the radio in that little open spot and another mounts on the dash, both of which are better then the pillar mount pods

KrazyKarl02
05-20-2008, 01:51 PM
He said econo mode would put my truck about 100 hp over stock, he offered a 120hp race mode but i didn't figure that was necessary. quater throttle in any gear will puff smoke out, Im hoping this causes me to have an even lighter foot.

I thought wicked wheel actualy cut down on power, very little from what i'm told.? They are also supose to lower egt right?

Make sure to tell us what your actual MPG is. Also I think those MPG instant gauge pods are full of crap!

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't have one of those MPG-o-meters.

bcolman
05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Of course with this mentality trucks end up looking like my crewcab...

or pig pen :flipoff2:

eight
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Thats a pretty hot economy tune. I was thinking more like 20hp. Don't think we ever had a 100 hp in a 7.3.

BroncoJo
05-20-2008, 08:11 PM
Thats a pretty hot economy tune. I was thinking more like 20hp. Don't think we ever had a 100 hp in a 7.3.

I'm telling you this is like nothing like the ones I have dealt with before, at least as far as minor modded trucks go.

DRAGOONRANCH
05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
or pig pen :flipoff2:

zing!!!:gigem:

RCcola55
05-21-2008, 02:36 AM
I'm telling you this is like nothing like the ones I have dealt with before, at least as far as minor modded trucks go.

my economy tune give me 70 over stock, although im sure the dp is more refined, its all that i need

BroncoJo
05-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Its called the econo 80, but he said that most trucks like mine will dyno about 100hp over stock. I would have figured that you would get less HP than they claim as it is with most programers.

I'm going to try to get a video of the smoke today, I'm really not happy about how easy it is to smoke out cars behind me although it is forcing me to be super easy on the skinny pedal.

Eckert
05-21-2008, 08:10 PM
I seriously dout I could get 19, I have alot of extra weight.

i get that on a bad day :flipoff2:

i honestly dont know how accurate the mpg-o-meters are. when my overhead said i got 20.4 on a road trip. i got 20.2. but i bet im not getting 26.4 like it says right now.

jerryg79
05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
i honestly dont know how accurate the mpg-o-meters are. when my overhead said i got 20.4 on a road trip. i got 20.2. but i bet im not getting 26.4 like it says right now.

they dont actually calculate anything, its all from a lookup table.

BroncoJo
05-23-2008, 12:02 AM
14.4 MPG about half tank with the tuner and half without. Almost all city so I am happy I was expecting around 13. I'll be on the road tomorrow and will post highway MPG.

ordered some gauges today and the mount that goes aroung the factory cluster.

Also found out to that my clutch cannot handle econo mode, its supose to be new but they allways seem to be when buying used. I thought I noticed some slipping once pre-tuner but there is no question now.

Also need to order a new coolant reservoir as the crack I have had is starting to get bigger and I don't want to get stranded somewhere. Does anybody know where I can get one? I have tried all the part stores.

Whats considered the best cone filters? I can't decide what I want to replace mine with.

eight
05-23-2008, 12:22 AM
Even at 225K I have never seen a worn out clutch disk on those trucks. Not to say they couldn't have taken off in 2 every time and wear it out. If you replace it make sure to replace the throw out bearing and the $15 sleeve it rides on. That's more likely your problem anyway. While you're replacing clutch parts replace the little plastic bushing where the clutch pedal hooks to the master cylinder.

KrazyKarl02
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Have fun with that clutch, when you go to buy a new one most places sell you a fly wheel with it too. Apparently in 99 Ford made some really crappy fly wheels. I had to replace mine when the throwing out bearing launched into a million shiny pieces. I also replaced the sleeve kopecki speaks of. When I pulled mine the bar that connects the slave cylinder to the clutch fingers also had a crack in it. It is like everything that normally lasts forever on that transmission, doesn't....

Oh since yours is 4x4 like mine it is really super sweet. Ford made it to where you can not get the top bolt on the t-case out while installed (easily), so you have to pull the tranny and t-case together. Luckily it only weighs about a million pounds.....

What was your mileage before the tuner?

eight
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I always pulled them with the transfercase still attached.

I think the fork gets bent because the throwout bearing binds on the sleeve. I replaced one once.

KrazyKarl02
05-23-2008, 09:10 AM
If you have a real transmission jack it is not that bad, if you are pulling it using the Karl Crouch certifed 2X4 and a floor jack it sucks. That ZF transmission is heavy enough alone, with the transfer case it wants to rotate and do all sorts of crap.

Just my 2 cents.

CheapJeep
05-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I like my afe cone filter but it's really no different than K&N's, etc. I've heard good stuff about Amsoil's filters and I think they're a bit cheaper.

You said the clutch was said to be new but you can never know when buying used. Do you tow/haul alot of heavier loads? If so when you decide to replace the clutch you might look into an aftermarket clutch.

BroncoJo
05-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I like my afe cone filter but it's really no different than K&N's, etc. I've heard good stuff about Amsoil's filters and I think they're a bit cheaper.

You said the clutch was said to be new but you can never know when buying used. Do you tow/haul alot of heavier loads? If so when you decide to replace the clutch you might look into an aftermarket clutch.

I'll probaly go with an AFE washable, oiled one not the progaurd. Is that the one you have? I have the AFE dry paper on it now but I think it won't last a whole lot longer, I can knock handfulls of dust and dirt out each time I clean it but there is some that stays permenitly trapped.

I have yet to do much haulling as we are still using a 3/4 ton truck, but one of these days I will have enough money for one of the fancy hide/flip hitches so an aftermarket clutch is probably a good idea? What do all the diesel fags run? I'm going to do some research tonight as I think I just finished it off in houston traffic today.

BroncoJo
05-23-2008, 05:23 PM
oh ya I also suspect I got decent milage while not stuck in traffic but really didn't seem like much of an improvement.

CheapJeep
05-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I have the washable oiled AFE filter that came with the intake kit. My dad has the upgraded intake that comes with the proguard filter but other than it having a prefilter I really don't think it's much different.

As far as clutches go there are plenty of manufacturers out there like Southbend, Centerforce, Zoom, etc. I installed a Southbend in my dodge last summer and now I have no problem towing the toys or hauling horses/hay. From what I've read on forums alot of diesel "enthusiasts" prefer Southbend over other companies but I don't think you can go wrong with a different brand. Each model has different power and towing ratings to suite the vehicle so you have to do some research and figure out which one fits your needs. I went with the same model that Scott has in his dodge, I think it's the ConOFE.

As far as installing it yourself unless you are really ambitious, have a bunch of buddies on hand, and a transmission jack I would just have a shop do it. Pulling a 3/4 or 1 ton transfer case and transmission would suck.

BroncoJo
05-23-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't have the money to throw away at some shop, especialy with the price of a southbend clutch. Also I'm not for sure what a transmision jack is but I do have some 4x4s and a floor jack. looks like no gun purchases for me anytime soon

kopecki or karl- Do auto part stores stock the pieces you speak of? I will probably be putting one on tomorrow if I can find a clutch and flywheel

hmmm. I wonder if an ATV jack will work as a trans jack because I do have one of them.

Eckert
05-23-2008, 07:13 PM
was talking to my buddy who either goes to a dyno or track every weekend and said bel air is what everyone is starting to run. south bend is no longer the "go to" clutch.

StevenAg03
05-23-2008, 07:41 PM
was talking to my buddy who either goes to a dyno or track every weekend and said bel air is what everyone is starting to run. south bend is no longer the "go to" clutch.

Valair maybe? There are many people that say Southbend is the only way to go. To me you are paying for the name they have rightfully earned. The Organic/Feramic clutch from them is a little less then $500. It is basically the same as the Southbend ConOFE that Scott and Robbie have. Valair is relativly new to light duty truck clutches, no more then a couple years, but have been building heavy duty trucks for many many years.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone today with Valair. I will be going with them. after installing a quadzill xzillaraider in my truck, stacked with a superchips i have no problem slipping the clutch(superchips on performance-tow and the quad on level 2) when i get on it in 5th. add in that i am going to install some rv275s and i will need one soon.

as for air filters, i have an Amsoil 4510, i think, strapped in place of the factory air box. turbo is ridiculously loud.

Eckert
05-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Valair maybe? There are many people that say Southbend is the only way to go. To me you are paying for the name they have rightfully earned. The Organic/Feramic clutch from them is a little less then $500. It is basically the same as the Southbend ConOFE that Scott and Robbie have. Valair is relativly new to light duty truck clutches, no more then a couple years, but have been building heavy duty trucks for many many years.

I spent about 45 minutes on the phone today with Valair. I will be going with them. after installing a quadzill xzillaraider in my truck, stacked with a superchips i have no problem slipping the clutch(superchips on performance-tow and the quad on level 2) when i get on it in 5th. add in that i am going to install some rv275s and i will need one soon.

as for air filters, i have an Amsoil 4510, i think, strapped in place of the factory air box. turbo is ridiculously loud.

yeah, thats it. im saving up for one so i can continue to do 3rd gear launches.

StevenAg03
05-23-2008, 07:55 PM
yeah, thats it. im saving up for one so i can continue to do 3rd gear launches.

if your wanting to do third gear boosted launches, your gonna need to save more along the lines of 1500 for a valair dual disc...

Eckert
05-23-2008, 08:00 PM
if your wanting to do third gear boosted launches, your gonna need to save more along the lines of 1500 for a valair dual disc...

hence the "saving" part ;)

BroncoJo
05-23-2008, 08:01 PM
where do yall order these parts from?

StevenAg03
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
hence the "saving" part ;)

what mods do you have done to your truck?

where do yall order these parts from?

The Valair clutch you can get direct from Valair. they are good people in my book and offer a 12 month warrenty on the clutch.

i bought my superchips from Robbie for $225ish, new they are ~$400. bought the Xzillarraider from a guy on cummins forum for $200, new they are ~$400. he even sent it to me long before i had his address. i was in shock. i got the part and installed about two weeks ago. sent him the check the next weekend. he told me to get his address of the shipping box. got the air filter/shield from a guy off cummins forum.

my best answer is to search forums and look for deals.

Eckert
05-23-2008, 08:12 PM

only a bully dog power pup that stays on "performance"-90hp. but i can slip the clutch baaddd on boosted launches. otherwise i never have a problem. figured i would get everything to handle power before i make it.

whats the advantage to a dual disc? valair has a 600hp clutch for $500.

StevenAg03
05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
only a bully dog power pup that stays on "performance"-90hp. but i can slip the clutch baaddd on boosted launches. otherwise i never have a problem. figured i would get everything to handle power before i make it.

whats the advantage to a dual disc? valair has a 600hp clutch for $500.

The dual disc can handle the power(way more then you have). before you spend money on a clutch, i would call and talk to the guys there. like i said, i spent about 45 minutes talking to them on the phone this afternoon. they will recommend what clutch you will be best served with given what you have, what you do, and where you want to go.

i was trying to decided between the full feramic and the organic/feramic. as always, i got mixed answers from forums and lots of "web wheelers" (dont know what term applies here in place of wheeler) saying go dual disc, blah, blah, blah. i just said fawk it and called them.

the guy told me id be best off with a organic/feramic or a ceramic with kevlar button clutch. i want something that will hold the power i have now, and future power. i still want to be able to tow. many of the performance clutches are either on or off, no slipping. this makes it incredibly hard to take off and back a trailer.

not to insult your intelligence, but do how much power do you think your putting down?

Seth
05-23-2008, 09:01 PM
wtf is feramic

what about luk clutches? i thought that was the ford fix? a la nutz.

StevenAg03
05-23-2008, 09:13 PM
wtf is feramic

what about luk clutches? i thought that was the ford fix? a la nutz.

its a clutch material.... the luk clutch is the fix if you are gonna regear to make your engine quieter...:flipoff2:

jerryg79
05-23-2008, 11:39 PM
this thread just got so gay.

I no longer own a diesel, i own a non-gas truck.

KrazyKarl02
05-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Travis, The ford dealer on 59 north had the slave cylinder to throw out bearing bar (I call it a "z" bar, but that is more of an old manual clutch term). The sleeve I ordered from Jimmy and Fred's super tranny place in Dallas. I was ordering a rebuild kit, so I just ordered it from them. As for prices on tranny parts that place in Dallas rocks, even if you pay shipping.

As for clutches, I went with a luk clutch, why? Well I called Luis and that was what his shop used. I didn't have time to research feromatic reverse gravity clutches as I was to busy bangin' everyone's mom who knows what the f a ferretweaselmagnetic clutch is.

The luk clutch came with a fly wheel. Most clutches I priced, came with a fly wheel or had some warranty stipulation that said on this truck if you don't put our fly wheel on it your truck will explode violently....

BroncoJo
05-24-2008, 03:00 AM

The Valair clutch you can get direct from Valair. they are good people in my book and offer a 12 month warrenty on the clutch.

i bought my superchips from Robbie for $225ish, new they are ~$400. bought the Xzillarraider from a guy on cummins forum for $200, new they are ~$400. he even sent it to me long before i had his address. i was in shock. i got the part and installed about two weeks ago. sent him the check the next weekend. he told me to get his address of the shipping box. got the air filter/shield from a guy off cummins forum.

my best answer is to search forums and look for deals.

Are you making up words to make your truck go faster?:flipoff2:
I have tried the forums but nobody seems to like me, probably because I don't like anybody else but maybe because dumbasses complain about fuel prices while their signature says "I luv my smoke".
That valair clutch company seems like the ticket but I am going to be pressed for time. Any regular clutch should last me a while as I have never done a boosted launch... well maybe once in the rain:rainbow:
Thanks for the information though:gigem:

Do some research before you go running your mouth you noob:flipoff2::flipoff2:

this thread just got so gay.

I no longer own a diesel, i own a non-gas truck.

agree, now when I try to accelerate down the road I'm one of those "Diesel fags"... er I mean "Enthusiest" Although I can't lie, sometimes it does feel good to go half ass fast in a big truck.

Travis, The ford dealer on 59 north had the slave cylinder to throw out bearing bar (I call it a "z" bar, but that is more of an old manual clutch term). The sleeve I ordered from Jimmy and Fred's super tranny place in Dallas. I was ordering a rebuild kit, so I just ordered it from them. As for prices on tranny parts that place in Dallas rocks, even if you pay shipping.

As for clutches, I went with a luk clutch, why? Well I called Luis and that was what his shop used. I didn't have time to research feromatic reverse gravity clutches as I was to busy bangin' everyone's mom who knows what the f a ferretweaselmagnetic clutch is.

The luk clutch came with a fly wheel. Most clutches I priced, came with a fly wheel or had some warranty stipulation that said on this truck if you don't put our fly wheel on it your truck will explode violently....

Cool I'll look around for a luk clutch tomorrow, and hopefully a parts house around here has everything else.:gigem:

fawk I'm tired now

BroncoJo
05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Have not been able to find a luk clutch, Karl where did you order yours? Where is jimmy and freds super transmition place? Also karl what was included in the rebuild kit?

The only thing I have found today is a finco from orielys for 600. includes bearing,sleave and fly wheel. lifetime warrenty which I am sure this will be the same quality as life time brake shoes.

I got a price for a Southbend con OFE for 900 including flywheel. This will take a week to get.

Valair I guess ain't open today

I might try to hold off and order a good one if the price difference is aint too much.

edit- I have also found an AC delco for 500, but the quality worries me.

StevenAg03
05-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Are you making up words to make your truck go faster?:flipoff2:
I have tried the forums but nobody seems to like me, probably because I don't like anybody else but maybe because dumbasses complain about fuel prices while their signature says "I luv my smoke".
That valair clutch company seems like the ticket but I am going to be pressed for time. Any regular clutch should last me a while as I have never done a boosted launch... well maybe once in the rain:rainbow:
Thanks for the information though:gigem:

the xzillaraider is an adjustable fueling box from Quadzilla. I agree with you on the fuel price posts. seems there is a new posts about fuel prices every day on every board i read, but i dont know if i have seen one on here. like you said, it is especially dumb when those same people are wanting to turn their truck up so it will smoke mored etc, etc. my theory on fuel is, if you dont like it, do something about it. fuel is a luxury, *****ing and moaning is not gonna change anything, so why do it.

Have not been able to find a luk clutch, Karl where did you order yours? Where is jimmy and freds super transmition place? Also karl what was included in the rebuild kit?

The only thing I have found today is a finco from orielys for 600. includes bearing,sleave and fly wheel. lifetime warrenty which I am sure this will be the same quality as life time brake shoes.

I got a price for a Southbend con OFE for 900 including flywheel. This will take a week to get.

Valair I guess ain't open today

I might try to hold off and order a good one if the price difference is aint too much.

edit- I have also found an AC delco for 500, but the quality worries me.

valair will be cheaper then SB. just remember when looking at SB and Valair prices vs what you find elsewhere, the valair and SB clutches are performance clutches.

Eckert
05-24-2008, 03:41 PM
The dual disc can handle the power(way more then you have). before you spend money on a clutch, i would call and talk to the guys there. like i said, i spent about 45 minutes talking to them on the phone this afternoon. they will recommend what clutch you will be best served with given what you have, what you do, and where you want to go.

i was trying to decided between the full feramic and the organic/feramic. as always, i got mixed answers from forums and lots of "web wheelers" (dont know what term applies here in place of wheeler) saying go dual disc, blah, blah, blah. i just said fawk it and called them.

the guy told me id be best off with a organic/feramic or a ceramic with kevlar button clutch. i want something that will hold the power i have now, and future power. i still want to be able to tow. many of the performance clutches are either on or off, no slipping. this makes it incredibly hard to take off and back a trailer.

not to insult your intelligence, but do how much power do you think your putting down?

not much at all. i really dont care. im not so much into racing/sled pulling/whatever is cool these days. but i can merge into traffic very easily with a 3rd gear launch. instead of having to row. i have the 305/555 engine. bully dog was susposed to add 90 hp(dont know the true numbers). i dont add in that my intake and strait pipe add 20hp like travis does :flipoff2: soon as i start losing mpg over HP ill stop.

KrazyKarl02
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I got my Luk clutch from Luis at Offroad Unlimitted, but he is a friend so I got a jobber price.

Try this place in Houston:

McAfee Standard Transmission Inc.
5723 Jensen Drive
Houston, TX 77026

Phone: 713-695-8663
Toll Free: 800-499-4502
Fax: 713-695-6906

I got parts for my bronco from there. I can't think of the transmission place in Dallas's name, Flem, Fred, or Jimmy should know it.

I have no idea why, but the rebuild kit comes in 2 kits. You buy one kit that has bearings and another kit that has seals. I could not find a master rebuild kit. Also rebuilding this transmission is not for the weekend warrior (see my signature). You need access to a 20 ton press, bearing splitter, an oven to reheat interference parts, etc... I rebuilt mine because the 1st gear synchro was gone and it would grind every time I tried to go into first.

BroncoJo
05-24-2008, 07:34 PM
I don't need to rebuild the transmission yet.

I will be making calls tomorrow, I will probably end up with a valair or luk clutch. I am leaning more towards valair since they are a texas company and they offer OE replacement and performance clutches at a pretty reasonable price, their fly wheels are a little high though.

BroncoJo
05-25-2008, 03:20 PM
I dont know what the hell I was thinking but I'll be making my calls tomorrow (monday).

I'm thinking this is a stupid question:

Would it be dumb to buy a cheaper flywheel to go with a valair clutch? The flywheels they offer don't advertise to be anything out of the ordinary.

Also has any of the diesel dudes used or had any experience with the valair OE style ($300-390) clutches? They advertise being good up to 400 hp.

eight
05-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Believe it or not, the cheapest place I got clutch parts at was a ford dealer. Bought a clutch but when I dropped the transmission I found that the factory clutch was good. Would slip sometimes but press the pedal and release and it would grab again. The throwout bearing was binding and not releasing all the way. This was in my dad's golden dually. We ran it for 7 years and at least half the miles were pulling. It was still pulling 23K+lbs fine just before we sold it though the usual loads were 4-10K.

Anyway, the point of the story is, these trucks were made for work. You don't have to mess with them all the time. Sell that programmer and get a superchips one off ebay. Set it on the 60hp setting and forget about any of this internet dieselfag stuff.

uglyota
05-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Last I checked NAPA carried LUK clutches

Eckert
05-27-2008, 08:57 PM
with the really fast super smoke badass douchbag mode, it really smokes. maybe more than robbie...

BroncoJo
05-27-2008, 09:01 PM
with the really fast super smoke badass douchbag mode, it really smokes. maybe more than robbie...

that was at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle in third... forth probably wouln't have held.

Seth
05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
I'll have to see this when I bring those tires back.

BroncoJo
05-30-2008, 10:40 PM
The people who installed the clutch were fawking idiots, it wouldn't have taken half the time to remove if I didn't have to deal with all of thier **** ups. Most bolts were on the verge of being stripped out from OVER tightening, Some would be standard where metric bolts should have been, the clips were broken and other bs.

I did get it out, seems to be a fairly new cheap clutch with the wear in rings while some spots look un-touched. Tomorrow morning I'll get the fly wheel machined and put it back together. Also I got a organic/organic clutch not the "ferretweaselmagnetic clutch," its suposse to be good to 400 hp so I figure that gives me about and 100 hp more than I need.

BroncoJo
06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
finished up this morning, I put it off for a while yesterday than stabbing the transmission whipped my ass. Clutch pedal feels different, so I need to look into that. Is there any adjustment on these? Otherwise everything is good, think I fixed the source of an oil leak, and once this clutch brakes in I should be able to fill the full affect of the new tune.

Does anybody have a 1/8 npt tap and a drill bit I think R? Its for my pyrometer.

eight
06-01-2008, 12:49 PM
No adjustment.

KrazyKarl02
06-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Mine had a leak in it once that allowed air to come in, but would not allow fluid out. Slowly the pedal kept getting higher and higher, until one day on the way home from work I had to disconnect the line and drive home with no clutch.

So there is no practical adjustment.

BroncoJo
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
16mpg! And everybody that road with me allways wanted to see it smoke.

This new clutch is a noisy *****. hell of a noise at idle in neutral, but the valair guy said that is normal. Not to metion that the plastic that holds the shifter boot down was cracked in 3 places so I have a decent gap making it alot loader in the cab.

good news though, the radio fixed itself for the time being.

BroncoJo
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
last few tanks have been 15.6-16mpg, mixed unloaded driving. I'm happy with that, my city milage went up a **** load.

Still haven't got the gauges put on, might try to do that tonight.

BroncoJo
06-16-2008, 08:57 AM
well hooked up the gauges but need a new fitting to get the boost to fit properly. lights are too dim but o well.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/gauges.jpg

Also had a fawking blow out on 610 at 6 this morning so new tires and possibly wheels are needed. Any body have any cheap ideas as I really dont have 2g's to drop right now.

AggieTJ2007
06-16-2008, 09:19 AM
youve got 6 tires on there and you only need 4

BroncoJo
06-16-2008, 09:29 AM
youve got 6 tires on there and you only need 4

I got home fine, hell I had 7 on the truck but they are all pretty bad except for maybe 1 and the spare.

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Does this make me one of those "diesel guys"? They look a lot better in person, and alot cheaper than the alcoas or junk yard wheels.

255/85/16 in the back
285/75/16 in the front

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/Rockstars2.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/Rockstars1.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/Rockstars3.jpg

agjohn02
06-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Does this make me one of those "diesel guys"?

moreso than the black smoke or strait pipe does. only stacks through the bed can trump that card.

that was intentional jerry.

uglyota
06-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Trxus mt, right? I love those tires! Let me know when the rears are worn out and I will buy them from you :D

RCcola55
06-29-2008, 08:30 PM
love the rockstars i was thinking about XD wheels when it comes time for me to get new tires

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Ya they are the truxus mt's. The truck rides and stops better than ever. With the slightly taller tires I am doing 68 with the speedo sittin on 65, which I like. My only complaint is that XD puts some stupid ass sticker on the wheels.

eight
06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
You're gonna be replacing those fronts in about 10K. Sell them before they're ruined and get some to match the back so you can have them rotated.

Truck needs a facelift. Clear markers will make it look newer. 05 lights and grille can be swapped on. Would need to modify the bumper a little but I think it would still work. My little brother did it on his 99.

robertf03
06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Well at least there won't be any mistaking you for someone else in a dually around town.

RCcola55
06-29-2008, 10:13 PM
You're gonna be replacing those fronts in about 10K. Sell them before they're ruined and get some to match the back so you can have them rotated.

Truck needs a facelift. Clear markers will make it look newer. 05 lights and grille can be swapped on. Would need to modify the bumper a little but I think it would still work. My little brother did it on his 99.

more on this?

Eckert
06-29-2008, 10:24 PM

the wheels will get fvcked up if he gets them roated constantly. ask me how i know.

and *most* tires have a manufactures milage warrenty.

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 10:30 PM

figuring that I should be able to get 20-25k out of the front, then I'll just replace them when they wear out. selling would be a dumb idea enless someone would give 350-400 for them, I'll just take the hit on milage for the benifts of load range E and wider tread (all 255's I found were D's). I went with those sizes because I didn't want the tires to stick out of the fender wells on the back but I also wanted the extra hieght.

Face lift would be nice if I found a killer deal on lights. The truck could really use some paint on the bumpers and mirrors but that would then lead to alot of body work which I have no plans for.

edit- I'm really counting on the 255's not to flex too much under load. the actual load rating was only like ~100 lbs difference but the difference in air pressure might be what screws me. Although this truck probaly wont see any heavy loads untill I get out of school or my dads truck dies.

Eckert
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
yeah, who buys a dually to haul heavy with?:flipoff2:

and how are you susposed to use 4wd?

william_ace
06-29-2008, 10:38 PM
you have gone off the deep end. we need to put stacks on it now and a maf kill switch.

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM

Not me or the dude I bought it from:flipoff2:

Interco said they would be the same hieght but I think the back may be a hair or two taller (with my calibrated eye). A slight difference wouldn't matter anyway being that the truck is so long the actual distance traveled by the front and back would vary anyway.

Will- I haven't gone off the deep end...yet:flipoff2:

JB
06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Looks good, I dunno about the stars though

Eckert
06-29-2008, 11:02 PM
your ford has lockouts right? so everything time you want to use 4wd you have to have an allen rench handy? or is there enough room behind the cap to turn em?

stacks are def in order

bburris
06-29-2008, 11:05 PM

There's less than 1/2" difference in the tire sizes, it's not enough to hurt anything.

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Looks good, I dunno about the stars though

your ford has lockouts right? so everything time you want to use 4wd you have to have an allen rench handy? or is there enough room behind the cap to turn em?

stacks are def in order

Ya I havn't figured out what I'm going to do yet, I don't like the hub cap things but It looks wierd off. Probably going to end up without the fronts on but figured i run them for now.

Jackasic
06-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Does this make me one of those "diesel guys"?

yes, .. yes it does. Per your first post, wasn't the route you weren't going to go?

eight
06-29-2008, 11:40 PM
If you look at the load rating in pounds, the 255/85/16 in a load range D is rated for right about the same as a 235/85/16 in load range E. Either one can be more or less depending on brand.

These trucks **** up mud grips on the front fast, you'll notice what that means by 5K, it'll be pretty bad by 10K. I'm pretty sure the warranty requires proper balance and rotation to be done. If a shop is scratching wheels go to one that doesn't.

The 255 is actually a little taller than the 285. If the spacing on the rock stars is the same as the factory wheels the 255s will work fine.

Did this truck come with the vacuum locks?

I wonder how it would look without the caps. Hubs painted flat black with chrome lug nuts.

eight
06-29-2008, 11:49 PM
more on this?

On the face lift?

The 05 grill and lights mount up where the old ones come off. You need the bulbs and pigtails from the 05 to splice in to the old wiring harness. The grill on the 05 sticks out a little further. The 05 factory bumper will bolt up but since this truck has a replacement bumper I'd imagine he doesn't want to buy another one. There's probably enough room behind the grill guard to cut the notch in the diamond plate to fit the 05, would have to measure it to make sure. The grill guard would hide the new grill anyway so its probably not worth messing with. Just some aftermarket clear markers would make it look like a 03-04.

BroncoJo
06-29-2008, 11:51 PM
yes, .. yes it does. Per your first post, wasn't the route you weren't going to go?

I really don't care, its my truck and I do what I can. I still like to make fun of the rich boys with thier sun roofs and mega cabs:gigem:

If you look at the load rating in pounds, the 255/85/16 in a load range D is rated for right about the same as a 235/85/16 in load range E. Either one can be more or less depending on brand.

These trucks **** up mud grips on the front fast, you'll notice what that means by 5K, it'll be pretty bad by 10K. I'm pretty sure the warranty requires proper balance and rotation to be done. If a shop is scratching wheels go to one that doesn't.

The 255 is actually a little taller than the 285. If the spacing on the rock stars is the same as the factory wheels the 255s will work fine.

Did this truck come with the vacuum locks?

I wonder how it would look without the caps. Hubs painted flat black with chrome lug nuts.

I've had decent luck with front tires for al long as you keep good shocks, but I'll find out soon enough. I think the replacement bumper is what kills them.

I know 255 work out to be ~.4 inches different but Interco said they were the same height.

No vacuum locks I'm hopping it will look decent with the hubs painted, until then I'll keep running the cheasy plastic stars.

eight
06-30-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm not really thinking it would look good, but have you tried the stock caps? I wonder how they'd look if you painted them black.

Eckert
06-30-2008, 04:59 PM
I really don't care, its my truck and I do what I can. I still like to make fun of the rich boys with thier sun roofs and mega cabs:gigem:

HEY NOW!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

BroncoJo
07-01-2008, 01:17 PM
My dad brought up the idea of cutting the stars out and leaving the outside ring to cover the lug nuts, kinda like the factory ones did. Any opinions?

And damn it I want new headlights now.

BroncoJo
07-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Its hard to tell from this pic but the fronts dont look bad without the hub-caps, however the back does. Think I am going to cut out the stars when I get a chance to see how that looks.
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/pelicanisland.jpg

Also got some sweet new pin stripping...

Eckert
08-10-2008, 12:51 PM
ha ha:flipoff2:

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 02:02 PM
ha ha:flipoff2:

I'm pissed.

Burnt up the new clutch today which almost got my ass stuck. Was cruising through some marsh mud (about 3-4inches deep) with no problem when all of a sudden the tires started slowing down and I was no where close to being in a safe place to stop. Monday I will see how good of a company valair is because there is no reason the clutch couldn't have handle this.

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 02:09 PM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/pelicanislandmud.jpg

Doug Krebs
08-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Why in the hell did you take a dually diesel mudding? I hope you were drunk!

FJAggie07
08-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Why in the hell did you take a dually diesel mudding? I hope you were drunk!

x2...

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 07:36 PM
to get to the fishin hole.

It hasn't slipped since but now I worried next time it gets under a load it will.

AggieTJ2007
08-10-2008, 07:39 PM
why don't you walk next time

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 08:46 PM
why don't you walk next time

because I have a truck

KrazyKarl02
08-10-2008, 09:46 PM
How much load did you have on it? That is very odd. My Luk has about 90k on it and I have never had an issue weather it be empty or with a 8k trailer.

BroncoJo
08-10-2008, 10:12 PM
How much load did you have on it? That is very odd. My Luk has about 90k on it and I have never had an issue weather it be empty or with a 8k trailer.

no load, just 3 people + gear. Its was very odd as we had been driving around going from spot to spot for quite a while with no problem. When it happened we were pretty shocked I tried everything I could as I did not want to come to a stop but eventualy had to when the clutch couldnt hold first. After letting is cool for about 5 min I was able to rock it back and forth in R and L a few times then get it into first and inch my way out.

The truck still reaks of clutch.

On a side note it looks like my windshield is popping out. Has anybody had this problem before?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/BroncoJo/windshieldgap.jpg

Seth
08-11-2008, 07:03 AM
gorilla snot?

KrazyKarl02
08-11-2008, 07:11 AM
I would replace the slave/master cylinder. Maybe you got some air in the line that heated up or something smart....

Mine had a pin hole leak in it once that would only suck air in, not out. The clutch pedal level kept rising until one day it was all the way up and the clutch would slip. I had to get on the side of the road and just take the slave out. Then drive home with no clutch. It was fun.

BroncoJo
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
well it looks like this fawk up is going to end up costing me about 600 bucks since I can't install a clutch right now. I'm kinda pissed because I spent the extra money to get a valair clutch that was supose to be ba. Valair says I should be able to find a shop that will put it in for 300-350 but everywhere I have called is 500-600 + I'll have to fix the flywheel.

Does anybody know of a shop that will do it for less?

That ***** smells horrible even today with light driving, and no slipping.

Eckert
08-13-2008, 06:05 PM
like i said on the phone. i could get you hooked up all day long around here for $300. machining a flywheel is $50 tops. why cant you just drive the ford to CS and we will replace it in your shop next week?

BroncoJo
08-13-2008, 08:09 PM
like i said on the phone. i could get you hooked up all day long around here for $300. machining a flywheel is $50 tops. why cant you just drive the ford to CS and we will replace it in your shop next week?

you been eatin your wheaties?

KrazyKarl02
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
So is it a defective clutch? What caused this?

Eckert
08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
you been eatin your wheaties?

:flipoff2:, whatever happend to you having a trans jack?

BroncoJo
08-13-2008, 10:27 PM
So is it a defective clutch? What caused this?

no idea. He said that if I still smell clutch while driving and its not slipping the organic facing is falling apart and will probably leave me stranded before long. I asked alot of question and they keap saying that there is a **** load of these clutches running around and problems are vary rare. The owner dan gave the best explanation when he said something alond the lines of the presurre plate might have messed up for an instant and now the facings are toast. I'm still pissed I think they should atleast upgrade my clutch or help with instal cost, not give me a run-a-round for three days. I have dealt with alot worste companies but was expecting better from valair.

eckert- even with the HF trans jack it was a ***** and required an additional floor jack with 2x4's.

KrazyKarl02
08-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Oh it is the most unpleasurable tranny I have ever removed!

eight
08-13-2008, 10:43 PM
It gets easier every time.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-13-2008, 10:47 PM
Oh it is the most unpleasurable tranny I have ever removed!

It gets easier every time.

Yall are still on the right subject, correct???

:flipoff2:

Are they going to replace the clutch for you or is that coming out of pocket also?

william_ace
08-13-2008, 10:59 PM
i think he said they were replacing the clutch. but with his broken hand he'll have to pay someone to fix it

BroncoJo
08-14-2008, 08:12 AM
they are replacing the clutch which is on the way, should be here by friday.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Good to hear they are standing behind it atleast.

BroncoJo
08-14-2008, 09:29 AM
ya the first time I talked to dan (the owner) he said they would replace it, it just took three days of calling back to actualy get them to send it out.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-14-2008, 09:37 AM
You would probably be surprised at how many people call once and then never call again.

So have you found anybody to pull the tranny or you just going to save the coin and do it yourself. I would think with even $100 in beer you could attract plenty of help. ;)

BroncoJo
08-14-2008, 10:14 AM
trying to work something out with a good friend who has a muffler/do it all shop. the problem is he's reall buisy right now and now really setup for a truck my size.

I could get plenty of help but
1 I would really like to have it in before this weekend, has to be in before school
2 I would end up doing the wrenching while others drank beer.

I really do hate paying others so much money to do something I normally could.

BroncoJo
08-16-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't even think valair has shipped the damn thing yet. They wouldn't fawking talk to me after they fingered that out. we shall see monday. Just my ****ing luck

BroncoJo
08-18-2008, 04:12 PM
still won't return my calls...

Eckert
08-18-2008, 07:00 PM
**** your life...right?

DRAGOONRANCH
08-18-2008, 11:17 PM
pm me their number and your particulars and i will call them for ya. :gigem:

BroncoJo
08-19-2008, 12:38 AM
**** your life...right?

not my life, just the summer... hopefully

pm me their number and your particulars and i will call them for ya. :gigem:

I have been unusaully nice so far but that changes tomorrow.:angry:

BroncoJo
08-19-2008, 12:49 PM
clutch should be in today or tomorrow, they say.

BroncoJo
08-19-2008, 11:44 PM
got the clutch in today, and as much as I hate to say its going to the shop tomorrow. Pretty sweet deal though as my dad is going to pay for it, as long as I help him with some stuff tomorrow (stuff I was going to have to do anyway :gigem:). looks like it will cost 420.

DRAGOONRANCH
08-20-2008, 01:45 AM
ouch, even at 7 hours at $60/hour that is no bueno. :eek:

At least you will have wheels back.

BroncoJo
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Update:

Truck is running again but with a luk (I think) clutch not a valair one. Basically the one valair sent me was worste than what was in it. The pressure plate was machined horribly and would not even fit on the flywheel. After a closer inspection we figured a bad pressure plate to be the cause of the first failure. I have some pictures somewhere I just need to find them.

This caused me to spend several hours driving to find another clutch, the truck to be on the rack for an extra day, and some more out of pocket cash.

I have been trying to contact valair for the last week and have been getting a run-a-round. Only once have I actualy been called back and I missed it. I have been extremmly well mannered but I don't know what to anymore. I think they should at the very least send me a clutch thats not ****ed up but I would really like my money back. Any Ideas? If they don't get back to me this week I figure I will just post up on all the diesel fag forums with the pictures and details, as a way of blowing off some steam.

StevenAg03
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM
If they don't get back to me this week I figure I will just post up on all the diesel fag forums with the pictures and details, as a way of blowing off some steam.

if you do this, make sure you post on CUMMINS FORUM (http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/). they are on there all the time.

also post link to thread on here so we can see the outcome.

BroncoJo
09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
just got off the phone with Dan and I'm getting my money back so I'm just going to drop it. I'm still very un-happy with them.

I'll post pics on here later.

KrazyKarl02
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
I have a LUK clutch and have no issues. It is the one part of my truck that works like a champ. I have put 80k of hard miles on it. I think you will like it.

Seth
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I have put 80k of hard miles on it.

This is what makes me think you should get another 3/4 ton.

BroncoJo
09-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Of the many things i need to fix not being able to select fan speed for the ac is getting old. Its either full on or off completly. has anybody had this problem before? I was told I would have to replace the whole turn knobby face plate thing which runs about 100+. If thats the case I'll just keep with the windows down like I normally do anyways.

Eckert
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Of the many things i need to fix not being able to select fan speed for the ac is getting old. Its either full on or off completly. has anybody had this problem before? I was told I would have to replace the whole turn knobby face plate thing which runs about 100+. If thats the case I'll just keep with the windows down like I normally do anyways.

just fix it clown.

RCcola55
09-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Travis, have you ever heard about the bolt and o-ring on the back of the oil pump leaking? Corey at the meeting mentioned it to me when i told him i thought i had a rear main leak.

TMatheaus
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
Travis, have you ever heard about the bolt and o-ring on the back of the oil pump leaking? Corey at the meeting mentioned it to me when i told him i thought i had a rear main leak.

i have heard of that before, and one of the work trucks had that happen before

RCcola55
09-24-2008, 01:59 PM
ya, i was wondering cause if its a $.50 part ill fix it

BroncoJo
09-24-2008, 02:46 PM

ya i think thats what the dude was fixing on my truck when the high flow oil pump got installed.

Seth
09-24-2008, 06:39 PM
Travis, on the lower settings does it blow full blast also, or not at all? If not at all, it sounds like a resistor pack. I have seen them on chevys and dodges, but never a truck like yours. The lower speeds work bc the pack is burned up, but full blast is ok bc it "bypasses" it.

BroncoJo
09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Travis, on the lower settings does it blow full blast also, or not at all? If not at all, it sounds like a resistor pack. I have seen them on chevys and dodges, but never a truck like yours. The lower speeds work bc the pack is burned up, but full blast is ok bc it "bypasses" it.

not at all, for quite a while now the medium-high setting wouldn't work but now only high does.

william_ace
09-25-2008, 10:37 AM
so how about that injector?

BroncoJo
09-25-2008, 10:44 AM
going to have to fix it

injector is out ( i think) where do i get cheap ones or rebuild kit?

Eckert
09-25-2008, 11:10 AM
going to have to fix it

injector is out ( i think) where do i get cheap ones or rebuild kit?

which one. i helped my dad replace injectors on his '97. ill sit back and watch the fun becuase its a PITA. are there any international delearships close?

is it blowing alot of white or black smoke?

BroncoJo
09-25-2008, 01:42 PM
the start up was rough as hell need to see what code its throwing but too ****ing buisy

Sharpe
09-25-2008, 02:04 PM
are there any international delearships close?

Hogan's Truck on hwy 21 in Bryan.

BroncoJo
09-25-2008, 03:15 PM
what do I do to get the codes read? or where do I go?

Eckert
09-25-2008, 07:22 PM
what do I do to get the codes read? or where do I go?

vatozone

thus why you should have bought a programmer instead of a bag of chips.

BroncoJo
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
no codes are being read. running very rough at idle. service engine light is on. Oil was a little low and black but not bad, filter was dirty as hell but I knocked most **** off. fuel filter a week or two old. truck is not making any power can barly move its self at half or better throttle.

This all happened over night as when I parked it it was running fine. I thinking clogged injector(s) or something else fuel realated. any idea post up or call 713 303 1995. really need to get to h town today.

Sharpe
09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Someone peed in your fuel tank.

Eckert
09-26-2008, 12:19 PM
no codes are being read. running very rough at idle. service engine light is on. Oil was a little low and black but not bad, filter was dirty as hell but I knocked most **** off. fuel filter a week or two old. truck is not making any power can barly move its self at half or better throttle.

This all happened over night as when I parked it it was running fine. I thinking clogged injector(s) or something else fuel realated. any idea post up or call 713 303 1995. really need to get to h town today.

your injectors are popped by the oil pressure. might have been the problem if the filter was all fubared. is there anyway your truck has a "limp mode"? tried disconnecting the batteries to reset the comp?

BroncoJo
09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
we dicussed bad fuel but I think I would have noticed it running bad and I dont think nobody ****ed with it a mi casa.

BroncoJo
09-26-2008, 12:22 PM
your injectors are popped by the oil pressure. might have been the problem if the filter was all fubared. is there anyway your truck has a "limp mode"? tried disconnecting the batteries to reset the comp?

anser your damn phone

edit call me ****er

Eckert
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
anser your damn phone

edit call me ****er

phone is dead. im literally strandend at my gf's apartment. come pick me up.

Seth
09-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Cam sensor I think makes it die completely not start at all.

Was your oil filter that dirty, or air? If oil, I would change it and see why its so nasty.