PDA

View Full Version : Bench bleeding a MC

CRaSHnBuRN
01-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I know its a dumb question, but how do you do this? The brakes on my 4runner are nearly nonexistent, and I'm trying to chase down the cause. I did not bench bleed the new MC (3/4 ton chevy) when I installed it, so I'm going to go back and give that a try in hope that it helps

DRAGOONRANCH
01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1964&highlight=bench+bleeding

mudtoy67
01-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Yup. Just make the lines loop back into the reservoir. Pump it slowly till you don't get any more air. Should get it. :)

DRAGOONRANCH
01-19-2008, 11:57 PM
It;s kind of the same way you use a piece of rubber tube connected to the bleeder nipple then stuck into a jug of brake fluid when you don't have anybody to help you bleed the brakes.

Graystroke
01-20-2008, 09:45 AM
after I get all the air out, I have someone slowly push the pedal while I'm threading in the hard lines...just enough to make it dribble out the hole. I don't know if it helps any, but I figure it is better having a positive flow of fluid out of the MC so it won't suck any air up the brake line holes.

CRaSHnBuRN
01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the link and all the suggestions. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

BTW, while researching this problem some people also suggested adding a 2 lb residual valve for the rear brakes. I'm going to add a line lock to the rear to act as a emergency brake, so I was wondering if it was worth adding the valve while I had everything taken apart

DRAGOONRANCH
01-20-2008, 11:02 AM
what is the purpose of said valve?

CRaSHnBuRN
01-20-2008, 11:56 AM
Ideal for drag racing, Street Rods, and many off-road applications, these inline residual pressure valves from Wilwood retain a minimum brake line pressure to help eliminate excessive pedal travel.

Basically they keep pressure on your calipers so that they don't fully release and create a gap between you pads and rotors that must then be close the next time you hit the brakes, thus requiring more peddle travel

DRAGOONRANCH
01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I see, makes sense.