PDA

View Full Version : Skool me on end mills

Sharpe
01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
First off, where's the best place for me to getum? I can go through just about any commercial vendor through work. I was looking at McMaster Carr and they have a great selection, but I dont know what kind to get. Which leads to my next question.

My primary purpose right now is cutting retaining pin notches in rifle barrels. I will be using the pressed on pieces as a guide and a vise in my drill press. I will just be going straight down so the durability of the drill press arbor isnt an issue. What type of end mill would be best for this job? I will need one itty bitty one around 1mm and one around 7mm. Thanks

robertf03
01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
MSC, there is a catalog in the zach shack on the filing cabinet

I can't remember what brand I ordered, but we used MSC for all that kind of stuff.

and at that size, you might want to order two or 3. You'll probably need a drill bit holder to get your 1/2" chuck to clamp it.

agjohn02
01-28-2008, 05:58 PM
make sure its a plunging four flute.

plunging means the cutting edge goes all the way to the center with no recess.

Doug Krebs
01-28-2008, 11:31 PM
My primary purpose right now is cutting retaining pin notches in rifle barrels. I will be using the pressed on pieces as a guide and a vise in my drill press. I will just be going straight down so the durability of the drill press arbor isnt an issue. What type of end mill would be best for this job? I will need one itty bitty one around 1mm and one around 7mm. Thanks

I'd use a drill bit as much as I could. I'm assuming you need to use an endmill because you need a flat bottom?

1mm is ~ .040, that's a tiny endmill. Endmills don't like to drill nearly as much as you think they might.

Come my the lab tomorrow afternoon and I'll show you what a plunging endmill looks like in case john's description wasn't clear enough.

bburris
01-29-2008, 12:28 AM
http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/lonestar/album641/MillingCutterSlotEndMillBallnose.jpg

Google is your friend. I assume you guys are trying to explain what the one in the middle looks like?

agjohn02
01-29-2008, 10:39 AM
green is plungable. red is not.

bburris
01-29-2008, 10:50 AM
plungable

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/solutions/plunger-01.jpg

agjohn02
01-29-2008, 11:09 AM
ive never seen endmills with threaded shanks. doug, any idea?

jerryg79
01-29-2008, 11:10 AM

im betting they screw into something

FJAggie07
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
im betting they screw into something

:laughing:

Doug Krebs
01-29-2008, 11:37 AM

I've never seen it either. I can't imagine it would be concentric enough.

JeepPhisherman
01-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Rape?

KrazyKarl02
01-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Yeah, that is odd....

Sharpe
01-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Well the "pressed-on-pieces" with the holes in them will be used as guides, but the hole will be partially obscured by the round profile of the rifle barrel running perpendicular to the guide hole. On all the gun boards, everyone suggested using an end mill instead of a drill bit due to the curvature of the barrel. The holes will be all the way through.

Doug Krebs
01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
if thats the case, i would use an endmill to make a flat spot, then center drill it, and then use a bit.

agjohn02
01-29-2008, 02:30 PM
if you're gonna use a center drill, you shouldnt have to flat spot it. not like a center drill is gonna walk.

agjohn02
01-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Well the "pressed-on-pieces" with the holes in them will be used as guides, but the hole will be partially obscured by the round profile of the rifle barrel running perpendicular to the guide hole. On all the gun boards, everyone suggested using an end mill instead of a drill bit due to the curvature of the barrel. The holes will be all the way through.

do you have a pic? im not comprehending.

Graystroke
01-29-2008, 02:53 PM
just take it up to dougs, it no matter, it's not a gun, it's pcs of a gun. the school won't care.

DRAGOONRANCH
01-29-2008, 03:09 PM
just take it up to dougs, it no matter, it's not a gun, it's pcs of a gun. the school won't care.

:rolleyes:

<------putting tinfoil hat on :flipoff2:

Doug Krebs
01-29-2008, 03:25 PM

The place off campus also has a mill.

Sharpe
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
I figured its not worth the risk on campus these days. The barrel with all the AK parts on it looks enough like an AK to be a potential problem. Doug, if you dont mind doing it at the off campus shop, that will probably work. Using a real mill would also allow me/us to just use a round end mill and mill out the slots side-to-side using the x-y axis on the mill table before pressing the blocks on. Man I'm gonna have to do some nasty **** to Doug by the time this thing is finally done...

Sharpe
03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Well after discovering that a single end mill would cost as much as 2 of each of the 4 sized drill bit I would need (8 total, all cobalt), I decided to forgo the endmill idea and stick with drilling em out. If that doesnt work, I will call Dougie.