PDA

View Full Version : Long-throw clutch slave suggestions?

uglyota
01-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Anybody have a suggestion for an off-the-shelf long-throw clutch slave? My friend currently has a slave from a 84 CJ7 4.0 which he had rigged to work with a '72 350 with a bellhousing from a '72 chevy truck that had the fork window modified. He recently upgraded to a '94 350 and apparently the flywheel is thinner (or at least the whole flywheel/clutch/pressure plate stack) and the clutch doesn't fully disengage with the pedal, so we are considering modifying his slave bracket and throwout fork to push closer to the fulcrum, but a longer-throw slave may be a better answer. Another option would be just to replace the bellhousing/fork/slave but he says later model manual chevy trannies have one of those stupid internal slaves and he doesn't want to go there.

davido
01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I used a Cruiser slave on both my cruiser and the bus 350s. Both SM465s. It works great. The only thing you might have to do is cut the hardline from the slave and flare on a metric fitting. SAE on one end, metric on the other. I'm not positive that it's a requirement. I think we did that on the Cruiser, but for some reason nobody remembers having to do that with the bus. Other than that, it's off-the-shelf parts. A stock cruiser brake hose, two brass adapters, and a stock slave cylinder. All of the part numbers are in my buildup thread.

The bracket is really easy to build. Cut two 1-1.5" peices of pipe that have the same ID as the bolts that go into the block. I'm not sure the size off hand. Whatever the OD is of the pipe, drill/cut holes in a peice of 1/4" steel that are a little bigger. Mock it up. Tack it in. Take it all off. Weld. Paint. Bolt up. Done. I made the second one in litterally 20 minutes for the bus. Originally I used a piece of paper to find the holes on the block and make a template for center punching the holes.

There may also be a simple GM solution or if you want to go money, maybe Wilwood has something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, pictures here: http://offroadrepublic.com/fj40/chapter8/
After re-reading it, I think there is a SAE-to-Metric brass converter fitting. I wish I had that part number because that's what I had problems finding last time (for the bus, once I stole parts back for the Cruiser). It would make it totally off-the-shelf which would be nice.

uglyota
01-29-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm afraid the modified shift fork window is what's gonna screw him, but I will see if I can find some specs on the cruiser slave. Thanks!