PDA

View Full Version : [Gen. McAuliffe]Nuts![/Gen. McAuliffe]

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 01:24 AM
So who knows of a good place to get these???

http://www.emhart.com/images/img_popnutimg.jpg

They are called popnuts, or rivet nuts. Grayson, yall carry anything like this?

robertf03
02-01-2008, 01:34 AM
granger grainger, however its spelled has rivet nuts.

hell even the Ace hardware down the street from my parents house has those, but they are in unlabeled bins and I think leftover from when the bought out the indpenedant hardware store.

Are you sure those are rivet nuts? They look more like the captured nuts you use when doing plastic injection molding.

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 01:45 AM
Yep, this place calls them pop nuts...

http://www.emhart.com/products/pop/popnut.asp

Edit: I had checked Grainger earlier and didn't see them, now I have found them. Thanks Flemster. :gigem:

Graystroke
02-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I have always called them rivnuts. They are good for sheet metal type stuff. You drill a hole, insert the nut, then a special tool threads in and it pries against the lip at the top and swells the bottom on the back of the sheet metal. tool is backed out and it's done. Land rover always used those on the rear lamp guards of their trucks.

Graystroke
02-01-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.bollhoff.com/web/usa/en/web.nsf/HTML/index_us.html

StevenAg03
02-01-2008, 11:33 AM
i know where i can get a whole bunch of them.... but i think the security gaurds would notice if my pockets were buldging... :flipoff2:

yes we call them rivnuts...

StevenAg03
02-01-2008, 11:35 AM
You drill a hole, insert the nut, then a special tool threads in and it pries against the lip at the top and swells the bottom on the back of the sheet metal. tool is backed out and it's done.

since when is a pair of vicegrips, bolt, couple washers, socket, and ratchet a special tool? :confused2

or you could get the proper installation tool... :gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
since when is a pair of vicegrips, bolt, couple washers, socket, and ratchet a special tool? :confused2

or you could get the proper installation tool... :gigem:

when the air operated one is a grand....;)

uglyota
02-01-2008, 11:16 PM
mcmaster carries them too

DRAGOONRANCH
02-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys, I just have to sort through and see who has the best deal on the install tools now. I used to use these at an old shop I worked at, and are cheap, quick, and work real well as long as you don't use a 2' cheater to try to tighten the bolt up. :)

StevenAg03
02-02-2008, 08:28 AM
when the air operated one is a grand....;)

usea pair of vicegrips, bolt, couple washers, socket, and ratchet:gigem:

DRAGOONRANCH
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
They have some hand tools that are only about 35 dollars or so, they do a pretty good job and do a lot cleaner install and much easier than the vicegrips, bolt, couple washers, socket, and ratchet method. It just depends on how many you need to install with how well you could recoup the cost.