PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Swap Meet Find EVER!!!

BMFScout
11-10-2002, 02:10 AM
before reading this post I know you are all going to call bull****, but I don't care, it is the truth sucka...
So we are at the swap meet in arlington today looking around and buying mostly cheap japanese tools and the like, when Robert fleming spots a rusted carrier with a ring still attached. He asks the gentleman that is as toothless as a tennessee moonshiner what he wants for the beauty. The 'shiner replies, "20 bucks" Rob looks at me and says, "This is a full case detroit right?" We investigated the piece and whispered to each other for a few seconds and then discovered that it was in fact a full detroit for a dana 44, low gear carrier. flem had a dollar to his name, so it was mine for the taking. Being the shrewd "bidnis" man that I am and being in the presence of "flem the jew" himself I couldn't just buy it for 20 bones so I offered the 'shiner 10 bucks. He said that he couldn't take less than 20 for the "posi" unit because it was his son's and that he didn't even know if his son wanted to sell it or not... He kept calling it a posi unit, and then rambled on about his mudding adventures and some 2wd he had that would mud with the best of them. Flem commented that with this new "posi" that my truck would now be able to go "an-E-Where" as most redneck moonshiners will say about a "posi" truck. I almost pissed my pants, the whole situation was so funny. I got it home, it isn't really as rusted out as I thought, spins freely, needs some new bearings and my ring gear put on it. It will be nice to have a full detroit in the front instead of that drop in ****. Flem was rewarded tonight at the flying saucer with beer for this amazing find, I wonder how many people passed by it today having no idea what it was...
to further reiterate my point:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=1177

froader03
11-10-2002, 08:20 PM
I give ya 30 fo' it...

BMFScout
11-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Flem is trying to piss on my parade. He got on the internet and decided that none of the full detroits look like what we bought :( Does anyone know what a gov-lock looks like? Do all full detroits have a cross-shaft? I shudder to think that the greatest swap meet find ever might turn into a 20 posi, maybe the moonshiner did know what he was talking about...oh well, there are plenty of people on ebay that like posi's...

robertf03
11-10-2002, 08:50 PM
Jimmy, I think we can pull a technicality on this one. Looks like its a Detroit True Trac. still a $20 detroit, but not the $500 version.

look familiar?

http://www.locked-drive.com.au/truetrac.gif

BMFScout
11-10-2002, 11:47 PM
so is it worth a ****?

BigRedFord04
11-10-2002, 11:50 PM
not a damn thing...i'll take it and get rid of it for you :D :D

mark
11-11-2002, 07:18 AM
If its a Trutrac, its a gear driven limited slip. They work well in the front for a rig that sees winter use. It is OK off road so long as you modulate the brakes much like a Hummer driver has to.

-Mark

Put a picture up so we all can guess at what the rusty hunk of monkey poo is.

Tariqui
11-11-2002, 01:06 PM
i have a detroit softlocker full lock up all the time it doenst have a any cross pins in it at all i could look at it cuz i took that softlocker apart to fix the side gears i know what it looks like inside and out.

Krawler68
11-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Funny... I didn't understand ANYTHING you just typed except you Detroit has no cross pins? Wierd...all of mine have cross pins... big ones...

Tariqui
11-12-2002, 10:49 AM
it has no cross pin if you want to come and look at the breakdown pic i have of it you will see why. it uses springs and toothed gears in it. but no cross pin. I know how it works i took it apart and when i ordered parts to fix it from ryder racing i order parts for a detroit soflocker.

Tariqui
11-12-2002, 02:31 PM
here

BMFScout
11-18-2002, 12:32 AM
The greatest swap meet find ever is now on ebay, happy bidding...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872923427

Tariqui
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
wow bought for 20 selling for 122 not a bad way to make a living. :)

BMFScout
11-18-2002, 04:33 PM
it still has 6 days to go...

BMFScout
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
212, I love ebay...