Thread: Instrument Cluster

ill be your pickup man

Arrow Instrument Cluster

About a week ago, my speedo/odometer quit working. It would register maybe 15mph at highway speeds, and at that, it jumps around alot. Around town, it registers zero. CarDics told me that I need a new cluster (I only took it there b/c I don't have time nor the place to try and fix it myself). I thought it might have something to do with the cable that runs from the cluster to the tailshaft. What else could cause it to read incorrectly?

Also, if I need a new cluster, where can I get one besides a junkyard? Will I be able to have the odometer on the new one set to the correct miles? The truck's old, so I don't think it would matter messing with the miles.

Thanks

edit: Actually I really just need the speedometer head. If nayone knows where I can get one, let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by JB; 04-16-2002 at 05:42 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

BigRedFord04

Post Cluster

If you try to buy a cluster @ the dealership its a really big hassle involving mileage and VIN #s and a bunch of other useless crap, junk yards are supposed to do the same but you'd probably have better luck finding one that would let it slide. Probably still wont be cheap. Try Ebay.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    my speedometer has not worked for some time now...i only know how fast i am going by the RPMs im turning....i can see it now...cop pulls me....

COP:"Mr Wolverton, you know how fast you were going back there?"
    ME:"id say about 2000 RPMs....."

COP:"Sign here please, and press hard cause there is three sheets its got to go through....."
    ME: "DOH..."
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

ill be your pickup man

Question

I really just need the speedo head. I was told that I can have it rebuilt or something like that so that I can keep my current miles (5600, really 105,600), but that costs more than pulling one froma yard.

If I pull one in a junkyard, can I set the miles on it myself? I thought it was pretty hard to roll back an odometer. How would I do it?

Thanks
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    are you sure it isnt just a bad speedometer cable? are they electric speedo's? i dont see where a cable goes into my tranny anywhere.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

speedo

things it could be:
    cable (if it has one)
    speedo gear in tranny, its just plastic and sometimes the teeth get chewed
    speed transducer (if it is electric) usually mounted to tranny where the gear is
    or the head in the speedo
    I would undo the cable at the tranny if has one and run an electric drill on it to isolate where the problem is
    if your speedo is electric and its not the transducer or the gear in the tranny you'll probably have to by a new speedo unless your some sort of EE major.

agshooter
    I had the speedo in my jeep die freshman year and the only reason I cared was because I got nailed by some **** of a K-K. It cost more than the damn ticket to replace the way yours is acting sounds like the cluster. Mine would go to about 25 and stick anywhere I went the only way to get the needle to move was to beat the hell out of it (great repair skill). so it sounds like cardoc may not have been far off.

the way it sticks sounds like its not a chewed gear or broken cable. I'm also going to say its the dash cluster

way to c.y.a. flem, the old I think it might be every part that could break is broke approach, classic.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Question

Originally posted by BMFScout
    way to c.y.a. flem, the old I think it might be every part that could break is broke approach, classic.
    I said it was the dash cluster, isn't that one part?