Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PTFE for skid plate material

PTFE for skid plate material

I see alot of people using UHMW for skidplates and stuff like that, but what about PTFE (teflon)?

I need to build a skid plate the gas tank on my 4runner, and due to a last minute design change, we're scrapping some small sheets of 3/8" thick PTFE here at work. Would this material work to skin the gas tank skid frame? It sounds like it should slide good, but I'm not sure how it may hold up to impacts

If it's free get it and just brace it from the backside. Also wondering why people don't use delrin. Does it gouge easier or too expensive?
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

my guess would be that ptfe would gouge too easily and Delrin would crack. Isn't PTFE tape made by compression? But hell, it's free give it a try, if it doesn't work replace it with UHMW-PE. Aren't there dozens of threads on pirate about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    my guess would be that ptfe would gouge too easily and Delrin would crack. Isn't PTFE tape made by compression? But hell, it's free give it a try, if it doesn't work replace it with UHMW-PE. Aren't there dozens of threads on pirate about it?

I'll most likely give it a try since its free. I searched pirate, and there were a couple of threads mentioning using it because of how low the coefficient of friction was, but I haven't seen anyone actually do it. Most likely this has something to do with the fact it costs more than four times what UHMW does.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN View Post
    It sounds like it should slide good, but I'm not sure how it may hold up to impacts
    Do you need to borrow my entc 206 izod impact testing lab report?

Screw it, just leave whatever is on there and stop following the pirate flavor of the month fad. Shouldn't you normally plan all this stuff out ahead of time before building something that is 100% custom?

I'd go buy a bunch of cutting boards at wal-mart and hot glue them to the underside of your truck. It should slide real good then!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post

Screw it, just leave whatever is on there and stop following the pirate flavor of the month fad. Shouldn't you normally plan all this stuff out ahead of time before building something that is 100% custom?
    months ahead of time it was full bodied and streetable
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout View Post
    I'd go buy a bunch of cutting boards at wal-mart and hot glue them to the underside of your truck. It should slide real good then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post

Damn, I can't even remember that class anymore, other than I think Price taught it back then.

As for leaving whatever is there there, thats the problem, there is nothing there to protect the gas tank, and I don't like the idea of trying to clean 20 gallons of gas up off the trail. I was just going to build something out of 1/4" plate, but didn't like the idea of all the extra wieght

I think you're going to have to have that 1/4" plate to support it. I don't think the PTFE by itself is going to be able to support the weight of the truck without something backing it up. From what I've seen I thought the people using UHMW are adding it to the outside of an existing steel plate skid.
    BDR

truck looks good, i like it, rear looks a little high, might be pic, if it's just a skid for the rear gas tank, go for it, it won't see the abuse that the tranny/tcase skid will
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    ...I thought the people using UHMW are adding it to the outside of an existing steel plate skid.
    since when have you been able to think a lot of them build a framework behind the uhmw to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr View Post
    truck looks good, i like it, rear looks a little high, might be pic, if it's just a skid for the rear gas tank, go for it, it won't see the abuse that the tranny/tcase skid will
    I dropped the rear down to help the shackle angle and to level it out some. I don't think I would use this material in a heavily abused area like a t-case skid, but for the gas tank skid I think it will work fine. Its pretty well protected by the springs and rear axle.

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr View Post
    since when have you been able to think a lot of them build a framework behind the uhmw to support it.
    So the UHMW is by itself, no base?
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    So the UHMW is by itself, no base?
    yes, but normally only in thicknesses greater that 1/4" and with short spans like 10" or less