Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Road Warrior

Project: Road Warrior

Havent really come up with a clever name for this one, Jimmy, BDR, or anyone else with a clever idea feel free to chime in. All I could think of was Mad Max or Wrestling related names, too obscure for anyone to get it.

Backstory first I guess. The truck was my brother-in-law's until last summer, when he "sold" it to my uncle after getting a half ton gas navy blue version of Jerry's truck to carry my nephew a little more safely and dependably. (the story on why he got a long bed is for another time) He fixed it up thinking he was keeping it and put 4 new tires and shocks on it, had the ball joints replaced and a few other minor things I can't think of right now.

Well, my uncle heard about how much I am driving (3k+ a month) and knew my truck isn't exactly the best truck in the world for the job. He had inherited a car (Caddy) from his father in law and can't afford all the expenses involved with an extra vehicle, though he did like having it around for projects. He offered to sell me the truck. After some figuring between he, my sister and I, he offered it to me for 750 bucks. I couldn't pass.

What it is: 1998 GMC Sierra, 158k, maroon/grey, Reg Cab, Short Bed. 4.3 V6 (not vortec right flem?) 5 speed. It's got some eagle alloys that I can live with and stock size mild all terrains (goodyear I think). Plastic Bedliner, aluminum bed caps and some 4 foot square piece of really thick rubber in the bed that is actually kinda sweet, once I figure out a good use for it. Recieve hitch that looks way too heavy duty for what the truck can handle. SLE model so it has cloth seat, carpet, tilt and cruise, and that is about it. It has an awful aftermarket stereo. Think analog tuner.

Well, I arranged for my Dad to meet up with my uncle this past weekend in Tyler on his way to Dallas bc my uncle was there. That saved me a trip anywhere in LA to pick it up. That in itself was easier said than done as my Dad is no longer an in law to that Uncle (divorce). All went off without a hitch though and my Dad brought it on into Dallas.

First thing he says to me "You got some work to do!" My uncle is notoriously hard on vehicles so I figured he was just talking about cleaning etc. Turns out though that the truck certainly has some issues.

First thing is the clutch, it's tight, but won't engage (disengage?) I am hoping that a good bleed of the system will fix this. My brother in law swore it was one assembly with no seperate companents so I am guessing he never bled it. The bottle of PS fluid under the hood is the only thing that owrries me. I don't know if it went in the Clutch MC or the PS resevoir. Anyone know what the effects would be? I know Brake Fluid is pretty caustic so I am hoping the seals could hold up to the PS fluid and it just not function well.

Second, the winshield wipers dont work. I am hoping it is just the board on the motor that is 30 bucks. You can hear it clicking like the switch is sending power to it.

My uncle did something that fixed an issue with the taillights, not sure what that was.

Other than that there are just alot of little things that I would like to address, mostly annoying things. Hood latch and Ebrake release handles. Detail inside and out. Tunes. Headlight out, needs new wipers, oil change. I am considering Synthetic after I see how much it leaks/burns. Tweaked bumper, can't tell except it is pushing a piece of trim up. Front valance gone, rear bumper trim gone.

The only things I want to do to this are things that will make it more comfortable or get better MPG. I am hoping for 20-25. Soundproofing, Stereo, Intake/exhaust (nothing loud), good tune up, synthetics, e-fan?, electronics?, upgrade headlights, different seat (stock bucket) if I come across one for the right price. Also I wouldnt mind some storage in the bed, maybe a hard side rough tote, trying to get weather proof for cheap. It would be more for bags in the rain than tools. These are the kinds of things I have thought of. Any advice or experience here will be appreciated.
    I have looked briefly for any communities for the truck/motor, seems like I find guys hopping up S10's mostly.

Sharpe -when you replaced you actual headlight bulbs do you really think it made them better, or is it more cosmetic?

I will get pics up when I get the truck here in a couple of weeks. I am going home for a wedding and am planning on driving it back after riding there with someone else.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Wow, that's pretty long, hope ya'll make it far enough in that I don't miss any good ideas/advice.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

That should be a Vortec with a NV3500 behind it. I only replaced the housings, still running the bulbs that came with the truck. If there is any difference, the stockers were slightly brighter. I just liked the look of the ones I have and they cost ~2/3 of what stockers do.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

4.3 i assume
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

rock auto has some cheap parts for that truck. I think i got the parking brake handle for 4 or 5 dollars, and the board for the wipers for $15-16. I broke the hood latch on mine too, as its all plastic and the cable is metal, i never replaced mine though

the third brake light also rotted out on mine and fried it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

good stuff. the list is going to be clutch, then wipers, so that i can register and inspect it, then brake handle since its a standard, then we will see. maybe pull the seat and just clean the hell out of it since its free and it smells like he has been taking it out to there barn.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    4.3 i assume
    it says that somewhere in the above novel I think....
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

tonneau cover, preferably soft so you can roll it out of the way. Should help a little with mileage, but most importantly keeps things dry and out of sight. (out of mind) With it being a short bed/ std cab, it makes it have a ton more room. Prob. needs door pins too.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout View Post
    Prob. needs door pins too.
    Good call there kreskin...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

I would put money on it needing door pins as well. My f'ing crewcab sure as hell does, the body lines are about 1/2" out of whack.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

ill be your pickup man
    I had the new pins put in my Tahoe.. And if i remember right, I think Brandon's grey truck might have needed them too..

Is the intake manifold leak that is so common on the v8s they same for the 4.3?

That valence for the front is 108 new (or it was 4 years ago) You can get one with the tow hook holes too.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I am doing my best to not think about the pic of this same truck with a fabtech 7" long travel kit and 33s.

Tonneau is a good idea, and I bet I could find a good deal on one with some time.

The door pins are actually not too bad. no bad noises and lines look decent. they could have been done already.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

like so
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Door pins are notorious on those trucks. Luckily, they aren't too bad to do. If you need to do them and are afraid of messing something up seth, let me know and I'll help you do them.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    like so
    banish that faggotry from your imagination!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!