Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Project: Road Warrior

details biatch
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

Still driving the white truck. Hoping to put a trans in this weekend.

Having driven the white truck for so long, then the maroon for the past couple weeks, I realize how unfit/borderline unsafe the white truck is. At least for daily/long distance driving. I have been thinking tonight about what the most practical/realistic options are. In a perfect world, I would have the toy, the tow rig, and the practical ride. At this point I will most likely go with the practical option first. Putting a new trans in the maroon truck will have it good to go for while, where i should prob sell the white truck. Then maybe someday get an IH of some sort to play with, and then replace the maroon truck with something that can be more multipurpose DD/tow/people hauler. I am sure I am overthinking it, as things will surely change between now and "then"

I will say, I hate to think of getting less than 20 MPG now. I also realized how much people get out of your way in the white truck.

This whole thing also makes me appreciate a toy that doesnt have to be trailered everywhere, be it off road or street car.

More to come.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Oh yeah, just realized I didn't tell the story about getting it home. The trans has been making sweet noises since I got it, mainly when you let off the clutch in nuetral, at least that is when you can hear it. It also leaks, so it has run/is running low on fluid i'm sure. I added once. So I am heading home one night from out of town and get to about OSR and 6 when I hear a strange noise. real steady sound, I thought I had something stuck to my tire with tar from the construction I had just passed. Then I notice the gearshift has a sweet side to side shake to it. At this point I didn't figure I would make it home, but would go as far as possible so it wouldnt have to be pulled far. I cruise on down 6 and then try the clutch. Straight to the floor. So now I am in 5th with no clutch. I manage to get it into 4th and go on down to the highway 40 exit, past my exit. There I turn right, and cruise on down to Wellborn, where I turn right again and make it to rock prairie. I had to make the light here, or else pull into the lot on the right so I would not block traffic. I had the truck into 2nd by this time just coaxing the truck in and out of gear with no clutch. I saw the light was red a ways off so I slowed way down, cruised in slow and somehow caught not only the green light, but a space in traffic to turn left! I then went about 20 the rest of the way to the house, much to the dismay of the folks behind me, but hell I was home!! And there in the driveway where I parked it that night is where it is still sitting.

A guy I used to work with said he has an 88 or 89 he is parting out and that he would give the trans cheap. He also has a lift and shop with tools I can use. So this weekend I will most likely be out in caldwell doing that. I am a little skeptical about putting in a trans that I have no idea of the condition on, let alone if it is the same one, but I figure if it doesnt look like a good idea, I can have one of them rebuilt and put it back in.

Words of advice folks? Clutch MC, Slave, clutch disc, and pressure plate? How crucial is machining the flywheel? I have got less than a grand in it so far, So if I can keep it super cheap and it still be good for another 30k or so, I am all in.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck

No valair clutch

do you think it is the throw out bearing/slave? maybe it grenaded and is causing all the noise? It would be pretty easy to tell if something is wrong w/ the tranny..lots of metal should come out when you drain it. The noise in 5th kinda sounds like the sun gears going out. I had an overdrive go out in a 3 spd w/ OD and it made horrible noises and had me on the edge of my seat waiting for the bang followed by a visionin my head of the tires locking up. I was able to drop it out of OD and all was good for the rest of the trip. If your in there I would go ahead and resurface the flywheel and get a new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and slave cylinder. Especially if you plan on keeping it.

Is the clutch and flywheel the same as a 350? I have one I would sell you cheap. They are new.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    A guy I used to work with said he has an 88 or 89 he is parting out and that he would give the trans cheap. He also has a lift and shop with tools I can use. So this weekend I will most likely be out in caldwell doing that.
    you refering to Wayne? if so, which truck is he parting out? the Harley Davidson step side?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Nice find grayson. I will email them. I am not sure about the clutch flywheel etc.

Steven, its not the "harley" truck, it is an auto. He got another truck he just wants the bed off of apparently.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck