Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Sunbeam

20 ish if you believe 60s power ratings and early 90s power ratings.

Loom and coolant lines almost done. I'm now running in to all the problems I said I'd deal with later like broken studs at the back of the engine that take 3 hours to remove

And for reference

Played with some mig welding aluminum tonight. No spool gun, just a bottle of pure argon and a straight torch cable. Worked pretty good. My aluminum welding skills are bad, but my flap disc skills are great.

So you managed to get the wire to feed through the liner? What thickness? Are you doing any other AL work?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

.030 I had no problems. I was anticipating a birds nest and almost mail ordered a spool gun, I'm glad I didnt

i didn't touch the tensioner, I undid it to remove the steel, flipped it up and fed it through without tightening and it made consistent noise the whole time so I guess it was tight enough

i only have 1 more al welding project, and it's removing the Bosch crank sensor mount from my newest rover 4.6 and tack welding on the gems bracket. Sounds ethnic, but that's how it was done in the factory

the wire feed and heat are way different. Obviously I'm still figuring it out, but low amp and high feed compared to steel seemed to work. It makes a whooshing noise, not sizzling.
    Last edited by robertf03; 11-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    Has is cost at least $6750 so far? If not, why bother?
    Quote Originally Posted by robertf03[November'14 ROTM] View Post
    Way more than 6750, I'm a car guy
    Well played!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    That is impressive use of a flap disc! I am amazed you were able to get 0.030 aluminum wire to feed thru a liner. I've been attempting to do some Al welding with a spool gun and the wire is soft as ****. Similar experience with the noise and it is definately way more touchy to getting the wire feed and heat dialed in than steel.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Still finishing up all of the details. It's been running very rough, high idle, stumbling when the gas is hit. I suspected it was lack of throttle position input to the ecm since the 1.6 uses a throttle switch that tells the factory ecu idle and wot with nothing in between.

I went through every tps I could find at pick n pull and a Kia sephia was the winner. Same plug, same shaft diameter, just needs a spacer with a different bolt pattern

It's running much better with this setup

It moves! And then it gets towed home by a discovery

i overestimated the remaining fuel in the tank and the maiden voyage around the block was going well so I pushed it too far. Tried pushing it and found out the brakes are dragging. Burned up the starter and one of the linkage bolts loosened up

I think one more weekend of messing with it and it'll be good to go. It's got some balls compared to the stock one

So megasquirt has a neat "feature" where it fires the coils at power up. Not a big deal for a tuned vehicle, but for one with a rough fuel map on the rich side it can create enough of a bang to blow out the fuel pressure regulator like whiskey in a delorean.

I had to put together a rigged up daughter board of transistors to fix the problem.

I can't recommend these turds for anything. Way to crude and you have to have an electronics background and an oscilloscope just to get the ****ing car to start. The only one I'd consider using in the future is the ms3pro, but at $1000 bucks it's probably time to consider a real brand

So the ecm mods worked. No more random backfire.

E fan off a Kia something or other mocked up. It really shows the shoe horn it took to fit this thing. Less than 1" clearance between water pump and fan.

Cable x speedometer drive tested and moving the speedo 25% faster than expected. Easily fixed by changing some jumpers but the chart no longer applies.

I thought it would be a few more weekends, but realistically spring before I attempt to inspect and register.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Sweet man. One inch is plenty of clearance at the fan. Lurch has just enough room to wrestle a vbelt past the pulley/fans.

Are you converting a vss signal to drive a cable speedo? If so, did you build the motor drive, or did you buy one?
    Last edited by Fredo; 12-12-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    It looks like his Cable/Speedo converter is that box in the lower right.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I bought one. It's called cable x. Dakota digital also makes one but they were back ordered for a few months

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Cool. I've sold a couple of the Dakota Digital ones and they work pretty good. At least that is what the guys I sold them to told me. It's a neat niche product.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)