I've been gathering stuff to build my own compressor...it's turning into quite a monster. My compressor that I just picked up in January has already died, and it turns out the entire thing was recalled in 2002, making it near impossible to find parts.

So since I already have a good 5hp motor, I decided to go with a 5hp pump. Picked up this pump at Harbor Freight the other day, on sale for $99. I've talked with a few people who have one and they all like it, but I went ahead and bought the 2 year replacement warranty just in case. It's got good specs...13.4cfm at 90 psi is as good as most pumps this size. Got it home and tried it out, which led to this problem.

As you can see the pump kind of takes over the entire tank. The tank needed to be replaced anyway due to the recall, and I got lucky and scored this beast on Craigslist yesterday.

It's a 60 gal Dayton tank. Damn thing is 68" long. So now I've got to figure out how to hook all this crap together. Biggest problem I am having is connecting the pump to the tank. The outlet of the pump is a 1/2" (5/8" OD) tube compression fitting. The tank has a ~3/4" OD tube compression fitting. I haven't been able to find a compression union reducer anywhere to go from 3/4" OD to 5/8" OD tube. What I've come up with is using the original 3/4" compression fitting on the tank. I'll then sweat a 3/4" copper elbow to that, then a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer, and a 1/2" line to the pump. This is my first time ever to sweat copper tubing, an internet crash course tonight should make me an expert by tomorrow.