Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tomorrow, I sweat.

No...but I think I see where you're going with this. Ream the ID to .625"?
    BDR

So I did a little sweating tonight. Didn't get out of work on time to get the swagelok fitting, so I went ahead and took a swing at at this. It was actually pretty easy...assuming it actually worked. I started off by sweating the elbow to the 3/4" tube coming from the tank. Then I installed the 3/4" to 1/2" reducer.

And here is the tube fitted and soldered in. The fitting on the pump is a compression fitting, though it doesn't use an insert. The fitting itself is meant to squeeze down on the tube.

The tube goes into the fitting at a bit of an angle. I guess we'll see what blows out first...this or the soldered fittings.
    I'm also thinking now that I should have put more of a bend in the tube to account for expansion.

Also put together a tree in the fitting on top of the tank. This holds the relief/safety valve, the pressure switch, and a liquid filled gauge.

BDR

Now I need to start looking for a double v-groove pulley. The motor shaft is 5/8" with a 3/16" key. I'm hoping I can find something with a bit of "extension". The shaft on the motor is a bit short and the shaft on the pump is a bit long, putting the pulley on the end of the shaft.

BDR

$5 says that once you put some pressure in there all of your fittings are going to go

please have CDR stand a safe distance with a video camera so we can all watch
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

if ya needed swagelok fittings, ive got a bunch at work. i would have mailed ya some of whatever ya needed. it would cost ya a sixer of shiner blonde for the shipping costs. id even do 2nd day air.

Thanks, but there's a place on my way home that has the one I need. It's just that I left work after 5 today and they were closed.
    BDR

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Just a thought man, do you turn you compressor off when you are not there, I do. If you are worried about the integrity of your fittings, think about if one breaks, compressor kicks on and runs for 2 or 3 hours. I have heard rumors of this resulting in overheating and even catching fire. I always try to remember to turn mine off when I leave.

Speaking of which my air compressor motor through the fan off the back yesterday, yet another reason to turn it off when you are not there....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Ya, I always do turn it off. Typically I turn off the breaker too, seeing as I know the guy that installed it.
    BDR

run by purvis and buy a double sheave and see if it works. Worst case scenario you take it back. you might have to buy a hub plus the sheave, but if you can space it out and it works it would be worth it. It looks like it needs to be spaced out or in depending on which part you are talking about. Does the belt spin when you fire it up? We keep ours on at all times at BMF, never know when you might need compressed air

Purvis Houston
    HOUSTON, TX 77012
    9400 LAWNDALE AVENUE
    PH. 713-921-3200
    FAX 713-921-4112

Is this close to you?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

also, where did you get that gauge?! Fred will make you a great deal on one!!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Actually, it's on the complete opposite side of town from me. I'll call them though, if they have the sheave cheaper than $40 it might be worth the drive. I don't have the motor bolted down or hooked up yet, so I don't know if one belt would be fine or not.

The gauge came with the last compressor I bought.
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 05-16-2008 at 07:36 AM.
    BDR

bdr, I ran my copper line in a big loop (it was cheaper then) to get them lined up. also acts as an after cooler.. too bad you couldn't change out he check valve...if it's bad your compressor will leak back through the pump.

I'm interested in hearing how that pump works. I was thinking of putting pump # 3 on my hot rod air tank.

Motion's at about 290 and 610.

Redid the copper line today. I borrowed a conduit bender from work, though it didn't have a very tight radius. I still ended up with only one bend, though the line looks a lot better. Also, as I was pulling everything back apart, I realized the fitting in the pump is really meant to use a flared tube...not sure what I was thinking about the fitting clamping the line in.:

I installed a remote drain valve in the bottom of the tank, installed the air outlet in the end of the tank, and finished bolting down the motor. Finally, got the wiring hooked back up and took her for a test spin. The compressor works great! It fills the tank up pretty quickly, and to my surprise there's actually no leaks. The single belt seems to be working fine as well.

Got a video of it's first time running. Check it out if you're bored or if you've reached the end of the internet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPzGw-lz5Q4
    BDR

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mudtoy67 View Post
    Now I need to start looking for a double v-groove pulley. The motor shaft is 5/8" with a 3/16" key. I'm hoping I can find something with a bit of "extension". The shaft on the motor is a bit short and the shaft on the pump is a bit long, putting the pulley on the end of the shaft.

Even if you don't find a double groove pulley, I would seriously look at indexing that motor over so the pulley has more engagement on that shaft. It shouldn't be too hard to fab up an offset mount for it.

It looks good though. Props all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.