Page 128 of 211 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 178 ... LastLast
Results 1,906 to 1,920 of 3159

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    Trac bar is good, got to be u-joints? Is there any regular part-store u joint that's better than the others?
    Cooks sells precision they are made in the US... I run them.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02 View Post
    if they brake, your breaks might not work
    I might have to chalk this one up to stupidity, might have to check again in the morning though.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Get spicers from Brazos Valley Driveline.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

lowballing someone
    they dont always carry spicers, have another brand. cant u get spicer thru napa?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

NAPA and CarQuest should both carry Spicer and Neapco u-joints.

We (napa) dont carry spicer but we can order them.

lowballing someone
    the other napa is better from my experience. your napa is more of a machine shop that happens to cary some parts
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

True Hollywood Stry
    Fj-40 axles are they worth a damn? Any way to tell if the shafts are aftermarket (longfield or trail gear) or stock when looking at them out of the axle?

What's the going rate for front and rear pair with all stock parts?
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 09-15-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

not really worth much. end of the stub may have a LF stamped in it if it's a longfield (just pop off hub dial). I think the main upgrades to stock cruiser axles involve swapping birfs and outers to minitruck stuff. Think the stock birfs had a lower spline count, (minis have 31 splines), and I'm pretty sure the knuckles are different, but I couldn't tell you exactly how. Maybe TLCs didn't have 4-piston calipers?
    Would think if you had truly stock setup with pumpkins $400 would be an alright deal
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

What is the application? 40 axles had an offset rear, and for a lot of years had drums all the way around also.

i believe you don't want anything made before ~78. drum brakes, course spline pinions, the 9.5" diffs aren't said to be any stronger than an 8". basically the axles are identical from 78 on up minus the offset and pumpkin.

on the flat spot on the birfield the manufactures name will be engraved on them.

personally, i don't see a reason to dick with FJ40 stuff when mini stuff is so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    on the flat spot on the birfield the manufactures name will be engraved on them.
    not on bellfields, and not on my OG longfields
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Fj-40 axles are they worth a damn? Any way to tell if the shafts are aftermarket (longfield or trail gear) or stock when looking at them out of the axle?

Is there a set from a particular year you're looking at? That would help.

When I bought my front axle it was stock from a 76 (aside from spring over perches) and cost me $500, which was the going rate in 2001. They may be worth less now because there are so many options for front axles now. 76 started disk brakes. 78 started fine spline pinions...but if you're going to an aftermarket set you'll end up with fine spline anyway so that's not much concern. 79 and up will get you the more desirable larger steering arm bolt pattern, but smaller pattern knuckles can be swapped for mini knuckles and retain the FJ disk brakes. The knuckles are the same but the spindles out and birfs are different. The advantage (if much) of cruiser rotors is they are vented vs. minis which are not. Cruisers are 4 piston calipers as well.

Rears are typically not worth as much unless you've got a FJ, waggy, or you're a rover homo. I can testify a driveshaft linked between a center output and offset pinion will require some trailside Brune Motors grinding to work. I don't think much changed on them through the years except the fine spline pinions in 78.
    BDR

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/1954477071.html

??? sounds decent?

sounds like a dang good deal to me