Page 103 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 113 153 203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 3159

Thread: Random Tech Questions

ill be your pickup man
    Does anyone have a Chevy 60 stub and a Chevy 60 spindle that I can look at? Making this knuckle work is becoming a pain. When I get the Ford spindle on this hybrid knuckle, it will not go on all the way. When I hit the nuts with an impact, it basically locks the shaft to the spindle, making it unable to turn. The distance from the spindle mounting flange to the center line of the balljoint is 3/8" difference as well.

I was under the impression though that the only difference between Ford/GM spindles was the length, but there must be some difference in the area of where the spindle slides into the knuckle.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    A GM 60 will use a 5-332x u joint and a Ford 60 will use a 55-4x. This leads me to believe that there might be a difference in the ears, which might allow a spindle (either Ford or GM) to work.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

True Hollywood Stry
    I have a spindle and stub here in Crosby if you wanna take a look tomorrow after work.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by eight View Post
    I have done this many times and I think only once with good results. Seems the large bits usually like to jump around instead of just drilling straight down the pilot hole.

Here is my recommendation. Drill a pilot hole, 3/8" or so. Then get a unibit that goes to 7/8". Use this unibit, slowly, with lube, to get the 7/8" hole started. Then switch to a 7/8" bit and finish the hole.

The unibit will start a good hole and the 7/8" bit will follow it through. Otherwise, when just stepping up bit sizes, I find that the large bit doesn't like to just follow the pilot hole. It chatters and you end up with a larger hole than you wanted.
    you aren't per chance, holding the work piece by hand rather than clamping it down are you? maybe using a crappy drill press? your holes are triangular shaped arent they? try a smaller pilot hole. just bigger than the unsharpened portion of the drill bit tip.

I think it may be a crappy drill press. Still strong enough I wouldn't attempt to hold it by hand. Could be crappy bits. I have found that using a smaller pilot hole works better.

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    Does anyone have a Chevy 60 stub and a Chevy 60 spindle that I can look at? Making this knuckle work is becoming a pain. When I get the Ford spindle on this hybrid knuckle, it will not go on all the way. When I hit the nuts with an impact, it basically locks the shaft to the spindle, making it unable to turn. The distance from the spindle mounting flange to the center line of the balljoint is 3/8" difference as well.

I was under the impression though that the only difference between Ford/GM spindles was the length, but there must be some difference in the area of where the spindle slides into the knuckle.
    Buying forged parts...worth it? I need to buy new spindles and hubs

35 spline outers? ANy preference? Yukons the cheapest?

Drive flanges? They all seem the same, except for the cover. I would prefer not to advertise.

U-joints seem stupid expensive. I will need to connect a Chevy outer to a Ford inner.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

True Hollywood Stry
    Anyone know if dodge/jeep/ford np 208's have the same output splines? Do the dodge and jeep ones use a front output flange like a chevy or a yoke like a ford?
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

the NP208J i had, had a 1310 yoke. dont know about the dodge.

True Hollywood Stry
    Interweb research shows dodge and chevy front outputs to be the same.

Anybody have cookie cutter plans for a 400hp 351W to go in my Mustang? I wanna go fast.

edit: maybe just 300hp.
    Last edited by Sparling; 05-18-2010 at 03:44 PM.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

random tech answer:
    when replacing an axleshaft using the "no-pack" method, pull the hub lockout assembly first. Not having to slide the stub splines in while you're manhandling the rest of the hub assy makes life much easier.

Also it occurs to me that said hub assy and axle assy are currently hanging on my inner axle seal since it started raining before I got the caps bolted on. Which means it's probably trashed and gonna leak as soon as I fill it if I don't put a new seal in before I button it up tonight. Dam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post
    Anybody have cookie cutter plans for a 400hp 351W to go in my Mustang? I wanna go fast.

for simplicity, edelbrock power pack. if you are talking about that old stang of yours, then go with a 347 with around 10:1 compression, a set of AFR's or trick flows, rpm intake, and decent cam, fuel delivery of your choice and you will be well into the 400 range
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by Sparling View Post

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    for simplicity, edelbrock power pack. if you are talking about that old stang of yours, then go with a 347 with around 10:1 compression, a set of AFR's or trick flows, rpm intake, and decent cam, fuel delivery of your choice and you will be well into the 400 range
    Ryan's answer is probably the best, but...

I'm not a big fan of 347 or bigger budget small blocks. I would say stay in the 302-333 ci range, work over some 289 heads, 11-1 comp, RPM intake, big ass carb, cam that peaks somewhere around 7500-8000 RPMs. Then put it on some gas.

also recommended for 400 hp:

headers, e fan, ignition, decent rear end, locker or spool, sub frame work, probably air bags, brakes, tires, clutch, decent gauges, AND mufflers and more
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

...a set of AFR's or trick flows...
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-5141B010/

What about these? What size combustion chamber should I be going for? Smaller?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    those heads are bare. there is a lot that goes into determining CC size, determine your rotating assembly first and then match the head to your expections. I was just throwing those heads out there for reference, there are many heads for a lot less that will give you what you want. i.e. Pro1 and partiot are the frist ones that come to mind. Go to Barnes and Nobles and get yourself the book called "big inch ford small blocks" there is tons of info in there
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901