Page 135 of 211 FirstFirst ... 35 85 125 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 145 185 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,025 of 3159

Thread: Random Tech Questions

theres noise coming from my rear end.

bout 95% sure its the pinion bearing. how much does that cost to get fixed, what would cause it to go out so early and how long can i still drive on it?

Pinion bearings are something you can replace yourself. Hardest part will be getting the old bearing off the gear end of the pinion. A 3-jaw puller may do it, or a real bearing puller will work. You should be able to get either from loan-a-tool at your favorite parts store. Sometimes I end up using a grinder. Usually they go out from water in the oil, also could be lack of oil, or just bad luck. Probably about $50 to do it yourself, or about $300 at a shop. Keep track of the pinion bearing shims, they need to go back where they came from.

thanks for the info i appreciate it

how long do you think it will last? ive pit bout 500 on it so far with the noise. i also just changed the diff fluid to see if it would quiet down but it didnt. so the fluid is fresh

True Hollywood Stry
    If this is a daily drive fix it immediately or you will be needing a whole new rear end. Also, disconnect the driveshaft from the yoke and see if it wobbles any to make sure this is the problem.

What axle is it? If it is an 8.8, nine inch, or sterling with stock ratio I would just go find another axle for $100 bucks and save lots of work.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

You sure it just isn't a ujoint?
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

If its making enough noise to hear at highway speed, your gears are probably ****ed. The carrier bearings on my DD crewcab went out (14 bolt FF) and the gears ate themselves as a result. Cost $700 out the door to get done the same day at J&P standard transmission on 21. I could have set them myself but getting it done that day and the piece of mind was worth the cost.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

im pretty sure thats what it is. theres no play in the u joints at all. the wired thing is its in my silverado. which is an 06. would the lift cause this to happen prematurely?

if its in the silverado I would have it done at a shop because they usually have some sort of guarantee.

how many miles? most likely water in the diff
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Interesting side note story on pinon bearings:

Mother has a 2008 dodge nitro for her work vehicle, she has put 90k miles on it sense buying it new in late 2008. She complained to me about a high pitch whining that increased with speed a few weeks ago. Told her to do some tests changing the transmission into different gears, different speeds. Deducted that it was coming from the rear end, either stuck caliper, bad wheel bearing, or pinion/carrier bearings. She takes it to the dealership last week because she has full warranty on drive-train until 100k. Without hearing what I had said they took the same steps, changed the pads, no luck, checked the wheel bearings, no luck. Then they got the bright idea to check the fluid. . . extremely low fluid from a leaking pinion seal which ate the bearings. Lucky she didn't have a catastrophic failure. Dodge is lazy and instead of wasting time on rebuilding it just unbolted the rear end and slapped in a brand new unit. End of blog.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post

Mother has a 2008 dodge nitro for her work vehicle, she has put 90k miles on it sense buying it new in late 2008. She complained to me about a high pitch whining that increased with speed a few weeks ago. Told her to do some tests changing the transmission into different gears, different speeds. Deducted that it was coming from the rear end, either stuck caliper, bad wheel bearing, or pinion/carrier bearings. She takes it to the dealership last week because she has full warranty on drive-train until 100k. Without hearing what I had said they took the same steps, changed the pads, no luck, checked the wheel bearings, no luck. Then they got the bright idea to check the fluid. . . extremely low fluid from a leaking pinion seal which ate the bearings. Lucky she didn't have a catastrophic failure. Dodge is lazy and instead of wasting time on rebuilding it just unbolted the rear end and slapped in a brand new unit. End of blog.
    This does not surprise me in the least... Your mom is the beneficiary though, so *uck it

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post

since
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

dammit. . .
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Damn it
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.