Page 28 of 211 FirstFirst ... 18 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Having daily driven a "nice" 78 bronco for a couple of years in college, i would say stick with something new.

Things that went wrong:
    Locking hub blew off the driver's side some how
    brake pad failed, cutting a sweet 1" wide gap into the rotor
    bearings went bad - took out hub too, later same thing and took out the spindle
    electric choke wire used to fall off causing the choke to kick up the idle and the truck would overpower the brakes when stopping, you could put it in neutral and solve the problem, but it was a surpise if you werent ready for it
    master cylinder developed some sort of freak leak and brakes quit working while doug was driving
    U joints twice
    carb never worked right and used to backfire through the carb all the time
    leaks around weather stripping
    headlight bulbs both went out randomly at the same time, spent two days chasing wires until i figured that one out
    a/c went out a couple of months after i got it, never fixed it
    oh yeah and i dumped 7 grand into it and sold it for pennies on the dollar

Did i learn alot, sure, was it fun, at times, would i have rather taken the 5 grand i bought the thing for and put it as a down pymt on a truck from the then current decade, hell yeah.
    Last edited by jerryg79; 06-25-2009 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

I always said if I could go back, I'd get a 85 toyota...

Even though mine was fuel injected, I still had annoying problems to chase down once in a while. Most of the time the engine was smooth sailing, until it developed that electrical gremlin the last few months 5th year. Of course I did swap a GM crate motor in a couple months after I bought it.

Of course I did things in the wrong order, paid too much initially, but I don't regret it. I had to learn somehow.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I wouldn't start with an 85 toyota again. I'd start with an 89 4runner or a 3rd gen extended cab and SAS it when I was ready. Or a sammy, or a cj (back in the day...I'm too much of a yota dork now), or a 4.3 S-10, or a cucv. For as much fuss as people put up about them being the "holy grail" of toyotas there's really not a lot on that truck that you don't end up replacing pretty early in the game.
    Last edited by uglyota; 06-25-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I wouldn't start with an 85 toyota again. I'd start with an 89 4runner or a 3rd gen extended cab and SAS it when I was ready. Or a sammy, or a cj (back in the day...I'm too much of a yota dork now), or a 4.3 S-10, or a cucv. For as much fuss as people put up about them being the "holy grail" of toyotas there's really not a lot on that truck that you don't end up replacing pretty early in the game.
    Stock it won't handle 33's? A yota with 33's seems like it will do well.

A guess a cucv would be ok. But you have to have some knowledge before you jump into those things.

Edit: Feck it! I liked my blazer. It was fun, a little different, and it got the chicks!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    and it got the chicks!
    and then you borrowed my truck to take said chicks out
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Jerry- You were able to sell a 79 bronco? thats an accomplishment within its self.

I DD'ed mine throughout high school, sunk an easy 15k into it, and now its just a dead reminisce of care free times.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Stock it won't handle 33's? A yota with 33's seems like it will do well.
    yeah with a little lift you can run 33s with everything else stock, but an SAS on an IFS truck can't be much more work than crossover steering on a SA truck.
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yeah with a little lift you can run 33s with everything else stock, but an SAS on an IFS truck can't be much more work than crossover steering on a SA truck.
    yeah...sure...

have you done either?

have you done either?
    yes, both.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    yeah...sure...
    did you say yeah sure? Or yes sir?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I must have missed the buildups. So what exactly was so hard about hanging a spring hanger and installing bushing sleeves, and what was so easy about mounting the steering box?

I must have missed the buildups. So what exactly was so hard about hanging a spring hanger and installing bushing sleeves, and what was so easy about mounting the steering box?
    i dont know, how about a full day of cutting everything off and grinding it all smooth. inside and out. then cutting holes through the frame while not overheating the fuel lines(something no one mentioned). and while your performing a SAS you will want to move your axle forward. making you relocate the steering box anyways. its also a helluva lot cheaper to buy some $35 plates for the box than it is to do a sas. either way a $300 steering kit is involved. and most of the time you can find a box for $50 or so dollars.

did you say yeah sure? Or yes sir?
    i missed the funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    i missed the funny?
    super troopers...
    1988 Blazer...RIP

super troopers...
    was that in the very beginning with the stoners? im going to have to watch it again now.