Page 49 of 211 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 59 99 149 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    So since custom chopped/shortened/rear steer/60-9's are all the rage these days. How are people getting the old tube out of the housing? Will it press out after the plug welds are cut/drilled?
    most people dont reuse the tubes, none of the factory 9" tubes are up to steering duty. tube is cheap compaired to the time it would take to pull the tubes out of a factory 60. plus if you just pull the knuckles off the 60 tubes and you still have something you can sell

True Hollywood Stry
    My question was let say you are going to re tube a 44 or 60 for something like rear steer or to make a high pinion rear. You have to take the short side and possibly the longside tube completely out if your 44 or 60 housing in order to put the new tube in. How do people get the old tube out of the housing.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TMatheaus View Post
    use a hose clamp and regular fuel hose will work fine
    That is what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure before I put it back together.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

i have done that many times and never had an issue, i use fuel line for my trans lines as well and haven't had an issues except cutting it open when the control arm pinched it against the unibody. the fuel hose is resistive to that kind of stuff
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

I ask because I was at Ho'reilly's last night and said I wanted new power steering hoses. The lady could get the pressure one, but for the return, she was like I will have to order the rubber part. I was like, is there something special about it? She looked dumbly at me...
    -Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

She is dumb, they have low pressure hydraulic hose on bulk spools. Specifically for trans coolers and power steering return lines.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I don't believe it...how could a "dumb" person get through the vetting process to work the counter at ho'reilly's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

lowballing someone
    fixed it

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I don't believe it...how could a "dumb" person get through the vetting process to work the counter at autozone?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    I don't believe it...how could a "dumb" person get through the vetting process to work the counter at ho'reilly's?
    I don't know, ask Cory
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

My question was let say you are going to re tube a 44 or 60 for something like rear steer or to make a high pinion rear. You have to take the short side and possibly the longside tube completely out if your 44 or 60 housing in order to put the new tube in. How do people get the old tube out of the housing.
    ok cut the tube at the edge of the centersection, then drill out the spot welds. then cut the tube left in the centersection with a die grinder carefully. then beat it out from the otherside with a long punch. I don't know of a way to do it with out ruining a small portion of the tube(4 or 5 inches)

True Hollywood Stry
    Cool thanks St. John.

Where do you order new axle tube from?
    Last edited by stx4wheeler; 11-19-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

True Hollywood Stry
    I found one or two places that sell it.I'll post up the links tomorrow. One was speedymetals, and the other was emj.

emj is good people

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Got all of my chromoly from them.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

True Hollywood Stry
    Article on shortening/ re- tubing axles.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2000/hpd44...hpd44front.cfm