Page 86 of 211 FirstFirst ... 36 76 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 3159

Thread: Random Tech Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    Your just full of good advice!

swapped it all over. everything is identical. using a '96 NP241C and a '99 NP231J.

instead of just input shafts, i swapped the planetary and all. appearently there is a slight difference in the way the gears were cut sometime in '95. so use 94 and down cases or 96 and up cases.

anyone need a 23 spline NP241?

ill even post pics later with comparison shots between the two.
    thank you for sharing

hooker
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    noooo, don't do it!

the transmission swap is the best way to fix the gearing. You don't want 4:1 when you're hauling ass down the access roads at the trail, and shifting dana cases from low to high after beating on them a while isn't always the easiest thing to do.
    but with a manual you can put it in fourth and go

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    thank you for sharing

hooker
    since you asked so nicely

inputs and planetary, 27 spline on right, notice the 6 gears vs. 3:

mainshaft for giggles:

23 spline installed in 241 case:

27 spline installed in 231 case:

My buddy has a 02 Grand Cherokee and it started overheating tonight, I couldn't check to see if the coolant was circulating because it was too hot and I didn't want to open it up. But I noticed the fan wasn't on at all. What all should I check? I was thinking about running a wire straight to the battery to see if the fan turns on and if it worked then it would be the thermostat sending unit, sound right? The temp gauge was functioning and the overflow tank was full of coolant.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

True Hollywood Stry
    Yeah check the fan stuff first it might be the relay or fuse for the fan( assuming it's electric).
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Yeah check the fan stuff first it might be the relay or fuse for the fan( assuming it's electric).
    It is an electric fan.
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

Yup, jump it to the battery first to see if the motor is ****ed, then check the relay and then whatever switch it uses.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

I used to think autos were the way to go, esp for hill starts, but after riding in rigs geared low enough, i am a big fan of the manuals. both can be effective, just a matter of what characteristics are more important to you. Things I think of off the top of my head are auto tranny heat, not being geared low enough for a stick, engine braking, etc.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

With enough gear reduction a stick can be just like an automatic. In double low I never have to worry about stalling out, or starting the truck on a hill. Even if I throw it in third the thing ain't going to stall out. I love it!

Manual idles through most of the trails. Sometime you have to push the gas with an auto. I'm lazy. When it gets really crooked an auto might be nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Things I think of off the top of my head are auto tranny heat, not being geared low enough for a stick, engine braking, etc.

down hill kind of sucks if you forget to put it in 1. I like everything else better about the auto. No more shake leg.

Have you seen transmission heat while wheeling be a problem on anything with the factory drivetrain?

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03 View Post
    Have you seen transmission heat while wheeling be a problem on anything with the factory drivetrain?
    my truck

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    With enough gear reduction a stick can be just like an automatic. In double low I never have to worry about stalling out, or starting the truck on a hill. Even if I throw it in third the thing ain't going to stall out. I love it!
    you also have a doubler then additional reduction in the crawl box. even though the trans does have a crap ratio (3.8 i believe). so wouldn't you technically be in triple low compared to stock? you also pay entirely too much for all your parts

on the issue with the auto, im under the impression the the TC doubles the the ratio as cox said. I may be wrong, but isnt an auto less harsh on the drive train and absorbs some of the shock load?

and you have an argument like this for manuals:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ygskAqoO0

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    you also have a doubler then additional reduction in the crawl box. even though the trans does have a crap ratio (3.8 i believe). so wouldn't you technically be in triple low compared to stock? you also pay entirely too much for all your parts
    Maybe compared to stock, but in my truck when I throw my two shifters into low I call it Double Low.

I may pay a lot for my parts, but they don't break, and I don't have to trailer my **** back home after half a trail and let it sit in my driveway for a year until I decide to part it out.

EDIT: Wait now that I come to think of it, you guys are paying between $800-$1000 for a 4:1 gear set, and then another couple of hundred for an adapter, AND THEN you let them sit on your work bench for a month while you figure out how to put it together. I spent $1500 for a 4.7:1 crawl box that bolted right up to my tranny and t-case. That makes sense.
    Last edited by FJAggie07; 03-26-2010 at 04:23 PM.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TdmayfieldIV View Post
    my truck
    not factory
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901