Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Roadtrip 2008

ill be your pickup man

Colorado Roadtrip 2008

I left Friday, July 11th and got back Monday morning at 2am. Here are some pics and such from the trip.

JULY 11

7:30am (82238.1) - Leaving College Station from the Shell after some delicious Garpez breakfast tacos. Full tank of gas.

12:00pm (82509.2)[271] - Stopped in Wichita Falls for lunch. Found Prine's BBQ via Google. It was a little hole in the wall. Carry out only. I got a sliced beef and was disappointed. Dry, tough. Picked up some ice at a gas station and will be headed out by 12:30pm.

3:40pm (82690.3) [452.2] - Stopped in Claude for gas. Filled up with $99 from Shell. Went to the bathroom and some guy was breathing a little to hard in the stall. Weird.

5:15pm (82782.6) [544.5] - Stopped at rest area at New Mexico border. Got two beers and a Monster from the cooler.

7:30pm - Stopped in Clines Corners for gas and restroom. Gas was $4.49...screw that. Filled up short of Santa Fe for $4.09.

8:00pm - Pouring down rain between Santa Fe and Espanola. Looking to get to Pagosa 10:30ish.

11:00pm - Arrived in Pagosa to find that the San Juan Motel was open, but no one was there to check me in. I headed down the road to the Oak Ridge Lodge, just across from the Springs. I checked in. Cost about $90 for one night. Well worth it as I really needed a good sleep after driving for 16 hours. After I got everything in the room, I walked across the street to the Hot Springs. The clerk gave me the local rate as they were closing in about an hour. I made my way down to the 110-degree pool and it felt great.

Here was my setup...

I build a crappy little wooden desk thing for the passenger seat so that the laptop was level. I ran it through an inverter and into the cigarette lighter. I kept popping that fuse when I would fill up the air mattress. I ended up plugging it into the "12V" plug and that fuse didnt pop.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 12

JULY 12

7:30am - Woke up around 7 and headed to the lobby for the free breakfast. After sitting waiting for the waitress for 5 minutes, I got up and left. The food did not look great anyway. I need to stop and get some Advil and a toothbrush, seems I forgot these somehow and it is the two things I need right now. Temperature is in the 60s, and the smell of the pines is amazing.

9:00am - Stopped at City Market and got stuff I forgot. Filled up with gas ($100) and ate a pop tart. Saw a couple cool cars...

12:0pm - (83230.6) [992.5] In Silverton now. Stopped in Durango and got some sandwiches for the road. Headed up the Million Dollar Highway and was surprised at how many bikers I have seen and even more surprised at how many bicyclists are pedaling away. I saw at least 100 in the 40 miles to Silverton. They were going up some pretty serious grades too.

1:45pm - (83264) Parked atop Imogene Pass. From Ouray, there was only one tricky spot that required a back up and one other spot that made me wish I had a lower first gear. Other than that, it was pretty easy. Passed two older guys in a TJ that said they were from Tech. Passed another TJ and got a "hook 'em horns" Douchebags.

4:00pmish - Made it to Telluride and headed over to the campsite that I have stayed at the last two years. As I pull in a woman flags me down and ask me if I was going to the concert. Apparently several bands were playing in the park around the campsite and all of the campsites were being held for ticket holders. I asked her what bands were playing and she said Led Zeplin. I was like, WHAT! In Telluride on the day that I happen to be driving though! Apparently I misheard her. It was actually Les-Zeplin, a lesbian cover band. Why the **** would I want to listen to some dikes rock Stairway To Heaven? Anyhow, it would have cost me $52 to get a ticket and then she would let me camp there but I would have had to park in the parking lot and carry all my **** in. Hell no. She did give me directions to several other campsites just outside of town.

8:00pm (83307.5) I checked out all of the campsites south of Telluride and settled in at a primitive camping area on Alta Lakes. It was a 4-5mile trek down a very tame dirt road. There are several lakes, but the first one seems to be the most popular. It was maybe 70% occupied, maybe 20 other people out here. I set up camp in a nice little spot about 30' from the lake.

There was a house for sale overlooking Alta Lakes. No other houses in teh area at all. You can see it at http://www.telluridemls.com I am assuming since this badass SnoCat is parked at the highway that this is how the owner gets to the house in the winter. No way the state maintains the 5 mile drive through the forest for just one house.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 13

Woke up around 7. The sleeping bag sucks. It is too short and not very warm. I might need to find another one. Packed up by 8:30am and headed out.

Drove from just south of Telluride to Placerville, Ridgeway, Montrose, Gunnison then up to just south of Crested Butte. I turned of on Cement Creek Road and began the 27-mile trip to Taylor Reservoir. The first half of the trip was easy, just like the map guide said. I did all 12 miles of it in 2wd. The truck is making a couple strange noises. One high pitch rotational squeal from the front and a loud clunking from the front as well when hitting bumps. It was a hard day for the truck. The second half of the trip was very slow, narrow, and rocky. I talked to some atv'ers and they said it got narrow up on the other side due to a snowdrift but I should be able to make it. I made it 16 miles deep when I hit the snow.

Luckily, I was able to back up and take an ATV track around it. This was really narrow and I have some new pin striping. Not a couple hundred yards later, I passed 3 old guys on dirt bikes. 10 seconds later, I was stuck. Nose down in a little mudhole high centered on the crossmember and front IFS. One of the guys offered to haul ass up the mountain to get some ATVs that might be able to help. There was nothing to winch too. A husband and wife from Austin with two kids came back down to help. We tried to pull it backwards to no avail, but finally got it out pulling from the front. They informed me that I should not go any further as there were a couple more snowdrifts blocking the road. I readily agreed with them, but was pissed that I now had to drive 16 miles back the way I came, probably another 2 hours.

So I hung my head, cracked a beer and began the trip back, through all the brush again. I came upon an Explorer about 2 miles back down. We got out to figure out how to pass. They were nice guys, but seemed odd. Kinda like the guys from Washington that one night.http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.p...ashington+trip I told them that they were better off to turn around now. They agreed. He pulled off and I passed. I stuck around and helped him maneuver the 180 turn. He could not drive a stick very well and there was a pretty big drop-off. I hooked on just as a safety net.

I made it back down and pulled off at Cement Creek Campground and found a badass spot (#3) I met the campground host, Mike Dorian (?). Really nice guy from San Angelo that manages 10 campgrounds within about 100 miles. He works for some management company that works for the National Forest Service. I paid him $20 and got a bundle of firewood. The spot is about 30' from the roaring Cement Creek.

Hopefully tonight will be better. It seems warmer and I got a better sleeping bag from Wal-Mart.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    Headed up the Million Dollar Highway and was surprised at how many bikers I have seen and even more surprised at how many bicyclists are pedaling away. I saw at least 100 in the 40 miles to Silverton. They were going up some pretty serious grades too.
    It's a pretty popular route
    http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/

ask BDR how well wal-mart sleeping bags are suited to CO
    Last edited by uglyota; 07-21-2008 at 11:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

very cool, I wanted to make a CO trip this summer but the days are slipping away. Keep the updates coming.

ill be your pickup man

July 14

9:20am - (83501.7) Left the campsite. Going to try and get food in Crested Butte. I bought some egg mcmuffin thing from a popular gas station/restaurant. It took them 15 minutes to make it. I think it was because I didn’t tip them when I paid. Or because I was from Texas.
    Saw a couple more sweet rigs...

Checked the map and headed up. Paradise Basin Road. It was pretty steep grade but very scenic. I made it up over the other side before I was blocked by snow. Turned around and passed some older ladies in a Benz ML that needed directions. Nice people. I headed back down via Washington Gulch Road. I headed back up the other side and also found it to be blocked.

Crested Butte has a 'Mountain Village" that is packed with condos. It seems less stuck up than Telluride, but more hippy.

I headed south out of Crested Butte, through Almont, and on to Taylor Reservoir. Another scenic drive. It rained on me for about 30 minutes.

Next I drove out to the town of Tincup, and attempted the Tincup Trail. Again, I got to the very top only to find the other side blocked with snow. I turned around and decided to try the difficult alternate route. Bad idea.

It was very rocky and I hit a large, couple hundred pound rock, high centering on the IFS. I was stuck for almost 5 hours. I had traction forward, but the rock would have ended up in the transmission. No traction in reverse. I was in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. I was actually worried I might get jacked by some dirt bikers or eaten by a bear. All I had on me was a .22 pistol. I tried everything but eventually I had the truck hi-lifted up, and used the winch, chains, strap, and the Hi-Lift handle to get the rock to slide down the hill a couple feet. I was then able to back up. I then had to winch another rock out of the way to get down. I damaged the skidplate, front valance, passenger door, and driver’s bedside rocker. Bad night.

I headed back to Gunnison and got a hotel room for $90 and slept well.
    Last edited by JB; 07-21-2008 at 11:33 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 15

I slept till about 10 in the hotel, got up and repacked everything in the truck. I gave it a good washing at the local spray-wash ($2.50 for 4 minutes!) The damage sucks but is not devastating. I am going to take it easy today. Grabbed some Taco Bell and stopped at a Napa for some shop rags. From Gunnison I headed north and eventually hit I-70. It is a very scenic drive and I only saw maybe 30 miles of it. The tunnel was very cool. I stopped in Frisco and pulled over at a random spot and started hiking along a creek. The creek eventually turned into a Lake Dillon. I hiked maybe a mile before it ended. I turned around and headed back to the truck.

I checked the map guide for any trails in the area and ended up heading to Montezuma, a small log cabin town on a dirt road. It is strange to think that people live in places like this (Tincup was similar) I headed up the St. Johns trail, but turned around, as it did not look like it would have any good campsites. I headed back down I-70 to Georgetown, another small village along the interstate. I took the road on the backside of town called Guanella Pass. It was a wide gravel road with several lakes and a hydroelectric plant. I checked out 2 pay-campsites that were full before finding a primitive site maybe a mile of the road. It looks like it is geared towards horseback riders as they have public horse stables and several horse trailers. Found an OK spot along a creek and set up camp.

I have become very quick at setting up camp. Tent, fire, cleaning up inside of truck in about 45 minutes. The moon is behind some clouds and blocked by trees, very dark.

I keep thinking about how it is a weekday and I am not working. It feels good. Derick and Sean will be here tomorrow.
    Last edited by JB; 07-21-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 16

I left camp of the Guanella Pass around 9am. So this on the way out...

I took a trail out of Georgetown that left me lost. It was around the Spring Creek trail. Very bumpy and uneventful. I next went up to Idaho Springs and talked to Derick. They were just getting on the plane. I searched all over the road leading up to Mt. Evans/Echo Lake area and could not find a good campsite, so I went down to Dillon and began searching. No luck. Derick called and said they were in Denver and gave me his friend Nate's phone number. They were about to go for a little afternoon wheeling so I followed them back up St. John's trail and found a spot several miles in. The were wheeling a basic XJ on 33s and a very clean LJ also on 33s They continued on and I set up camp.

I headed back down to find Derick and Sean in Dillon. We loaded up with beer/ice and food and were going to head to the campsite when the rental Ram 1500 they had, got a flat. A 1/4" flange bolt went head first through the tread. We changed it after trying to plug it to no avail. We finally got to the campsite around midnight. Drank a couple beers in the drizzle and went to bed.

Enter RENTAL RAM I will not give a Mark-esque review, but will post pics of its thrashing soon...
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 17

We woke up and packed everything up and were out by 9am. We got the tire patched in Dillon and headed to Alma where we hit Mosquito Pass. The sign said closed but we went up anyway. It was a great trail until the road was blocked with snow at the top. We took a couple sidetracks before setting up camp along a creek closer to the bottom.

This ***** gots dubs!

Around 5pm, we left to go explore some more. We did the Mt. Bross/Kite Lake trail that led us up to a 14,000' peak. It was like the trail never ended. We were up above the clouds. Unfortunately, it was raining and foggy so the views were non-existent. I serioulsy think we were the two highest vehicles in America at that point. Probably one of the coolest drives I have done. It is bumpy, but any stock 4x4 with a low range could get up there if they were determined. Drove back down and passed the hiker that we passed on the way up. I cannot imagine hiking all the way up there. The truck was in 4lo and 1rst and it was struggling in the thin air.

Saw an awesome double rainbow on the way back down...

Made it back to Alma and I got in the Dodge and we rode 3-wide into Breckenridge (I think my extended cab is bigger than the Dodge quad cab)where we ate at the Avalanche Brewery. Good beer too. Headed back to camp, drank a beer and went to bed.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 18

Up and out by 9am again. Drove into Breckenridge and had a great breakfast at a crowded little restaurant. Parking was bad and Derick cried when they did not take credit cards.

We left Breckenridge down Tiger Road and found a great campsite just a couple miles in. We setup and headed up Mt. Wise? It was a challenging trail for a stock 4x4 and offered several incredible views. We saw some mountain goats at the top and tried to get close. We got within a couple feet.
    Being the Aggie, of course I was the butt of the jokes...

Wow I look awesome

There were several cabins along the route that were stocked with supplies for anyone to use, as long as you replaced the firewood.
    random...

We met a nice older couple on an ATV along the way. We then headed back down Deer Creek Trail into Montezuma. Stopped at a City Market, got some groceries and went back to camp and started cooking.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 19

We woke up late and did not end up going rafting. A buddy of Derick's said that it was a pretty difficult run and that 4 people had died already. It was called Royal Gorge out of Canon City. We were huge pussies honestly. We shot some guns and then headed into town and ate lunch at Empire Burger. The service sucked but the food was pretty good.
    Random Rental Ram pic near our campsite for the last two days...

Next, we went to Beerfest and paid $30. We drank from the tiny cups for several hours. Saw Kylee too. At first we thought the tiny cups were gay, but it turned out to be a good idea. We got pretty drunk on some very badass beers and got some uber-homo temporary tattoos. Some of the breweries were Alaskan, Widmer Bros?, Dale’s Pale Ale, Left Hand? Sam Adams also had some very badass hard tea. Sounds limp-wristed, but it was very damn good.

We drove back to camp baja style, drank some more beers, then headed back to Breck and went to a couple of bars filled with Texan-hating locals. It was awesome.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man

July 20

I woke up with a high-altitude hangover with sucked for like an hour, but then went away. I was packed up and our by 7:30am MST. Filled up in Georgetown. Headed due east on I-70 all the way to Salina, KS. The Rockies really disappear east of Denver. Does anyone live in western KS? Filled up again in Salina and headed down 135, which turned into 35 eventually. Watched a couple movies. Was back in CS by 1:30am CST. Long day. Had to be in Tomball at 8am the next morning too. Took the Yota sans A/C.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Good stuff....you've got some cohones for wheeling those first few days by yourself. I was a little freaked out with 2 vehicles when I wheeled that area last year - not because of getting stranded but for fear of bears and whacked out hippies...
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

ill be your pickup man
    Expenses:

Gas - $1036.81

Average gas price was $4.04 a gallon with octanes between 85-87 The lowest was in Pauls Valley, Ok @ $3.69 and the highest was in Crested Butte @ $4.43

Groceries etc - $312.88

Hotels - $191.58

Just barely over 3000 miles

Wolf Creek Carwash actually got out all of the scratches. Ordered a new skidplate and valence and hopefully the Dent Magic guy can get the dent out of the bedside "rocker" tomorrow. It still runs great, but might need one new unit wheel bearing soon. Everything else is normal. The thud noise was a d-ring I forgot was on the front hook.

Going back to work after a week off in awesome weather blows very hard.
    Last edited by JB; 07-22-2008 at 12:23 AM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    one more scenery pic...

Any guesses on where?

edit: I'm dumb the date is on the pic
    Last edited by JB; 07-22-2008 at 12:44 AM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4