Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CJ engine

ClassicJunk

CJ engine

I'm looking for either the i6 or 304, both I believe came in the 84 cj7. I know the 304 was more prevelant in the 5's, but I think it came in the 7s as well. Also need some ideas on which would be better, as this is my daily driver and all that "inspection" BS still applies. ANyone out there wanna do the actual swap? If so, at what cost? Cash or beer? etc.... I'm hoping to buy maybe after Christmas, so keep me updated.

304's werent made after '81, and AMC v8's will need different motor mounts and a flywheel. those are the 2 most expensive/hard to find things during the swap.

6 and 4 cyl were the only options in 84 for a CJ. I dont know if swapping in a v8 for that year would be an issue or not in the new Nazi smog countys (Harris, Dallas, Collin, a few others I dont remember) Its beginning to look a lot like Kalifornia in Dallas county.

I have a 85' cj-7 and I put in a 78 304 out of a 5. I think its great, but on AMC the v8s only have like 140hp while the i6 have like 130 ( im not exactly sure on those) but the 6s work the same on the low end, the only difference i noticed on the 8 is at higher speeds, but its a jeep so it doesnt really matter on top end speed. and like he said you wont have to change all the mounts and sh*t. I like the 8, but the gas sucks, and it works alot better with out the emittions, just letting you know.

ClassicJunk
    Thanks guys. That helps me know what to look for. If ya don't mind, especially Flem you lil Junk Yard dog, keep an eye open for me. This Corolla bidness is getting old... but, I think Austin is in the same boat right now

ClassicJunk
    cos I have $1000... oh wait... nope, I'm still po' white trash....
    and I think Flem and his post partner up there talked me into staying with the 6...

I too am planning on ditching my current engine, but just not this week (or year). Speaking as somewhat of an expert with the 258 I-6, it is a decient engine once you get past all the emissions crap on the latest ones. In stock form they have anywhere from 115 to 160hp. But they make tons of torque well below 2000rpms. They are also quite durable. Mine sports EFI and 112,000 miles.

Now to your situation: What engine do you currently have (or had)? How about the tranny? There is only one transmission from 1984 that will stand up well to an I6 much less a V8, the T-176.

Another course of action to consider is a newer I6. RJ, who actually posted today, and I installed a 1997 Jeep 4.0HO engine in his 1976 CJ-5. He got the engine for a steal and we figurred out the OBDII electronics. For around $1000 he had 190hp and EFI.

Just a thought.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

hey im broke as **** too, i did this swap because it was free. I thought you had a 4, i would keep the 6 or do what mark just said, mines not even fuel injected.

Originally posted by eight
    Jeep looks to have a T-176.
    The T-176 will have an alluminium case and a casting # on the drivers side of 2604203. The shifter is centered on the top. The shift lever is strait. It is of course a 4 speed.

The T4 and T5 were also used. T4's and T5's are light duty 4 and 5 speed units. These are much different than the Ford T5. They won't hold up to anything more than the stock engines. They have bent shift levers that emerge from the rear of the transmission.

If you have a T-176, your in luck. It is considered medium duty and will withstand a moderate dose of V8 power. The T4's and 5's are junk and should not be rebuilt much less retained.

-Mark

BigRedFord04
    i havent seen it but the mechanic that did her work has told her its a cracked block. I'm still kinda skeptical and think they just didnt get a vacuum line connected right and thats whats causing it to run shˇtty now. the initial problem was a leaky valve cover or fuel line somewhere that caused the engine to catch on fire...melted a bunch of vacuum lines, the carb, the plastic valve cover, etc. it is a 4 speed.

So it runs now? If it has a cracked block it should do any or all of the following. Overheat, have water in the oil, blow bubbles out the radiator and/or overflow tank. You've got to do some hella mean **** to crack a block.
    Last edited by eight; 11-13-2002 at 02:15 AM.

Shaggy
    You've got to do some hella mean **** to crack a block (like catching it on fire).
    I have done it... it wasn't anything cool like fire but i threw a rod that went right though the side and after replacing that one 1500 miles later i didnt quite crack the new one but ate the entire inside of it to crap with dirt... gotta love crappy airfilters

Mark, you weren't talking to me, where you? I'm not the one with the jeep.
    Nope. You just made it sound like you were involved in Lisa's Jeep situation.
    From the rest of the posts, it sounds like she has a 258. If so, the cheapest route would be to get a good used 258 (assuming her's is trashed, which i doubt) and simply replace the engine with a like kind. Add a webber and give it hell.

-Mark

Mark, you weren't talking to me, where you? I'm not the one with the jeep.

I had noticed in the picture on some off topic post that it had a straight shifter. That's why I think it has a T-176. T-176 trannies were also used behind "moderately powered" 401s.
    401's and t176 didnt exist at the same time. they were never used together. the 304 was, and fullsize cherokees had a different version of the t176 behind the 360.

Mark are you sure the casing is aluminum? I'm 99% sure that its cast steel. The shifter housing might be aluminum but even that doesnt seem right from what I recall on those things.

The T-176 has an alluminium case. I am 100% sure. When I had mine out of the CJ last time, I picked it up and put it in the trunk of the golden bubble. It weighted maybe 75 pounds (yea, I work out). Its light weight and short length (10.25" + .75" adapter for the D300) are its greatest assets. That is it is medium duty too makes it hard to trade in if you don't want the granny low or high horsepower. It is officially rated to 250ftlbs of torque but will handle 300 or so without issues.

It is short enough that my SOA, with 2.5" springs, CJ (T-176, D300) does not have a CV driveshaft in back.

-Mark