Thread: Bad duramax years?

Bad duramax years?

Inquiring minds want to know if there was ever a bad year for the duramax.

The sooner the better with the info.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

"Eduardo" - The Pink Jeep Lynda's Avatar
    I'm sure Scott will comment, but the first year apparently sucked becuase Greg's kept cutting out on him on our way to Colorado....it sucked!
    Lynda
    Project "CJ" in the works: http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&highlight=lynda

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    i wouldnt get anything from 2001-currant with a duramax in it...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

the 01-04 LB7 engines had injector cup issues, but should have been replaced under recall. the 04-06 the LBZ, had some EGR problems early on. All of the push button transfer cases have a ****ty pump in them that will eat into the case, but thats usually an easy fix. I have an 01 and the only problems ive had is the power steering box go out and the t-case issue. The hydroboost in the duramax is a hit and miss issue, some leak and others never have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Duramax Ninja
    01-03 LB7 Duramax is an awesome engine. There aren't flaws to avoid in hard components, but rather subtle changes of which you may want to take note.

Some 01s and 02s had issues with busy downshifting from 5th to 4th when towing. The problem was fixed in 03. Previous years can have new programming uploaded. This was the problem with Higg's 01. A free trip to the dealer is the fix.

A few 01s had issues with injector grounding, but 02+ got the fix.

California emissions gets you a cat = soot trap.
    04.5+ LLY Duramax has an EGR with a cat - no bueno.
    2500 HD comes with 245 tires; 3500 come with 265s
    03+ have a cool center console
    Bose sound is awesome
    ZF6 speed manual is a good tranny, but is nowhere near as strong or as capable the Allison
    The leather is real nice.

My opinion on the best deal is exactly what Dave O and I have - 03 2500 HD crew cab short bed. You get all the significant benefits of the later model upgrades without any of the pesky little problems common in earlier year models.

That's all I can think of for now. Like anything else, look for low miles, right color, and the right interior.
    Now tell us why
    Last edited by jerryg79; 09-01-2008 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Disregard... There was a lack of communication between Karl and the salesman. Karl was under the impression it was an extended cab and then he found it it was a regular cab.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03 View Post
    2001-currant
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs View Post
    Disregard... There was a lack of communication between Karl and the salesman. Karl was under the impression it was an extended cab and then he found it it was a regular cab.
    must be what he called about earlier....

that's happened to me a couple of times, you get all the way down there and then they're like:
    "oh my sheet says its an ext. cab, but i hadnt seen it yet. Man I'm gonna shoot my secretary. Since you're already here why dont come take a look at her, she's a beaut! The truck I mean! *corporate dooshbag laugh*"
    So you loose, I win!

didn't higgs have some kinda performance mod computer on it? wasn't it one of those crappy piggy back kind that were later discontinued b/c they sucked? Or it was version 1.0 . Maybe why the truck sucked.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 09-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.

"Eduardo" - The Pink Jeep Lynda's Avatar
    Both times I asked for an estimate from the dealers they gave me an estimate on a 1500 rather than the 2500 (which I was very clear about in the original email)....it sucked becuase you think it's a good deal. It must be a new car selling gimmick.
    Lynda
    Project "CJ" in the works: http://tamor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6982&highlight=lynda