Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1999 F150 IFS to Solid Front

Registered

1999 F150 IFS to Solid Front

This is probably the largest project I'll be doing on this truck so far, as well as most difficult for me as I have little experiance with axle, differentials, and drivetrains, basically everything after the flywheel. Now that that's out of the way and I'm done humbling myself here's the project.

I have a 1999 f150 4x4 with IFS and I want to convert it to a solid front axel. I found a kit online that I guess includes brackets and hardware (I didn't look at it too closely) for a front axel. I'll post that up when I get a chance. Anway, I'm starting to look at axles and I'm not sure which way to go with them. I also need a front differential on it. Any help yall could give would be greatly appreciated.

Two more things:
    I don't think it will but I want to make sure that the front axle won't change, or at least change much, the way the truck handles on the highway because it's still a daily driver now.

And as a note this is a project that I will not be doing in the very near future, I'm just trying to get some input and background on this so I'll be ready to do it when the time comes. I drive this everyday so I need time to find where I can go without it for a few days, and I need to earn the money to buy the parts

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F1504x4 View Post
    I don't think it will but I want to make sure that the front axle won't change, or at least change much, the way the truck handles on the highway because it's still a daily driver now.
    Not to be an arse, but this will change the way the truck handles. It is unavoidable.

I am not sure on a truck that new all of the things that have to be done. I would look for a 1978-1979 F150 or Bronco Dana 44. That would be the most economical. If you want to play with the big boys look for a Dana 60 out of an F350.

Also, what gear ratio is your rear axle? You will have to match it.

Seth has done this to a mid 90's Ford. Talk with him. Go for a ride.

End of the day, my advice, leave your 99 alone and buy a beater.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Well first off we need to see the kit and what exactly it comes with. Is it just brackets and hardware or does it come with springs, shocks, u-bolts, etc? Like I said in the other thread a drivers side D44 front out of a late 70's Ford (dont know the exact vintage) would be what you need. When you say front differential do you mean some sort of locker? If so, your options range from welding it (more or less free) to a selectable locker like an ARB (~$800).
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

don't forget compressor for ARB. Not to mention Gears to match the rear.

Could be done on the cheap, but if ride and handling are important I agree with Karl, wheel it like it is or buy a beater.

After seeing you wheel yesterday (and you did well considering your truck and experience), I have a couple thoughts for you. I would strongly suggest doing a rear locker (EZ-Locker or Detroit - NOT WELDED), a small suspension lift, and bigger tires, in that priority order. AN IFS to Solid axle swap is a major upgrade and I suspect that you will realize that it would make more sense to buy a beater or a separate daily driver before you do this.

That said, I took the plunge and did this to my daily driver while in college. I had a 4" IFS lift on my 4runner that I bent and broke many times. The swap made a noticeable difference in wheeling capability, but not nearly as much as when I did lockers front & rear. Of course, I did quit bending & breaking things on the front IFS - not sure if this was a good thing though, as it just enabled me to get into worse situations that broke things that cost me a whole lot more $$$ than the IFS ever did...

p.s. This group is not shy about sharing opinions and there are no perfect answers. Keep asking around and doing online research and when you are ready to take the plunge, post up and there will be many willing hands (and tools) available for help.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

Registered
    i may just hafta leave it then n buy a beater like yall said, n go ahead n get a rear locker, bigger suspension and bigger ats like Chris told me yesterday n a few minutes ago hah and wheel it like that. Use a beater for the extreme stuff. In this case, I was looking at Fabtechs 6inch suspension. Has anyone heard of any positives negatives about this sytem? Theres two kinds, one with blocks in the back and one with bigger leaf springs, im thinkin the springs are the way to go? and if anyone has heard anything, how would this system go functionality wise? is it more functional, or just some cheap **** to throw on a street truck?
    Last edited by F1504x4; 09-23-2008 at 11:34 AM.

I'm not a big fan of IFS lift kits, it takes some serious money to get something that actualy out preforms the factory setup. i.e. http://www.dixonbrosracing.com/conte...gcategory/2/3/

I would stay away from most (maybe all) SAS kits. You really need to do alot of research and planning before jumping into this project because you will end up fabricating most of your parts. That being said its really not that hard if you have the resources and know what your doing.

However I also suggest a beater, for the price of some decent lower a-arms or compents to build a strong axle you could have 2-3 "truglys".
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    for the price of some decent lower a-arms or compents to build a strong axle you could have 2-3 "truglys".
    Problem is most people dont even want one

yah yah pot-kettle wtf ever... I just felt the need to point that out.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    i might know of a sweet deal on an XJ that comes with a 460, d44 front and a d60 rear if you wanna go beater route. But as everyon has said, an SAS is not for the faint of heart and isnt something you wanna go about doing to a daily driver if you are look for a stock feeling truck. Now with that being said my bronco handled better than ever when i put the 60 in it but it wasnt something i would if i had to drive it everyday, and it was $$$ even with the good deals i got.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

theres a free toyota in the back yard. . . or suburban. Which ever one you can more easily drag off.

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post
    theres a free toyota in the back yard. . . or suburban. Which ever one you can more easily drag off.
    neither of those have the awesome dana 30 he should be looking for

yah but ones a toyota so you can add another member to circle jerk it with.

Registered
    Ok I'll hafta think about it..i may end up just makin the truck i got now a lightweight rig with the mods i was talkin about earlier that Chris said..and get a beater in the works at some point.

thank you for that url..they have the bumper ive been wantin to get so its a nice thing to have..im still wantin to build it myself though so its something to look at somewhat..along with that roof rack
    Last edited by F1504x4; 09-23-2008 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7 View Post
    yah but ones a toyota so you can add another member to circle jerk it with.
    im a fool size person now.

Quote Originally Posted by F1504x4 View Post
    Ok I'll hafta think about it..i may end up just makin the truck i got now a lightweight rig with the mods i was talkin about earlier that Chris said..and get a beater in the works at some point.

thank you for that url..they have the bumper ive been wantin to get so its a nice thing to have..im still wantin to build it myself though so its something to look at somewhat..along with that roof rack
    just out of curiosity. if you "were" doing a SAS. what were you looking to do and why? did you want to 3/4/5 link, radius arms, leafs, etc. why do you want a roof rack? bed not enough space?

also, you could do it the other way around and buy a tow rig or a economy vehicle as your daily driver and turn you ford into something radical.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    why do you want a roof rack? bed not enough space?

also, you could do it the other way around and buy a tow rig or a economy vehicle as your daily driver and turn you ford into something radical.
    a lot of my bed space is used up by the spare carrier..Mainly roof rack as a place to put jack+shovel, but more importantly some lights right over windshield cuz when they were on the rollbar light was lost from roof..place i can renforce em on the rack so if branches and **** hit em it wont push/unalign em.

n i was thinking bout turnin the f150 into something crazy but idk. ive gotten so many ideas and suggestions today its hard to pick so as of now the only plans are to upgrade it how it is and for what its used for. a daily driver and weekend warrior