Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1999 F150 IFS to Solid Front

fix the space problem in the bed and screw a roof rack, thats just more to get knocked off.

The problem about upgrading your truck is that you will never be satisfied (sp?) and it will eventually turn into a big crazy pos that you spent 3 times what a more capable beater would have cost. ask fat ryan about this.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

I am not even sure how to respond. Go out into your backyard and start a small fire in a coffee can. Throw in 20 bucks and see how that makes you feel. If you don't like it, then stop now.

Seriously though, I have an SAS'd rig that I have put 30k on. All road miles. Its a pain to drive on the road, but it could be much better with better tire balance, an alignment, removal of the body lift, tweaking the bowed springs, and adding an anti sway bar. It is just really tough to wheel a ride you want to DD if you want it to remain well mannered on the road. Doors get tweaked so they leak wind, headlights get bumped and misaligned or dim out. Carpet gets nasty, etc. Also if (when) it breaks, you gotta fig out someway to get around. Motorcycles always seem to work, but can be more money.

That being said, a beater seems perfect right? There is a catch to that as well. First, you gotta have a place to keep it. Most neighborhoods and apartments arent too keen on some old jeep/blazer/bronco/sammi/scout/whatever covered in mud with a flat tire on jackstands being parked. You also need a trailer and something to tow it with. But then you end up with something else to store, and an expensive inefficient truck as a DD.

That being said, diff folks in this club have figured it out, one way or another. I guess the earlier you can come up with a game plan, the better. Starting off driving something that is good for wheeling and then moving on to the bigger stuff seems to be a winning combo. Bad for guys like us with fullsizes.

Build/buy something super light and tow it with the f150. It's got a 5.4 right?
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Just wheel the IFS within its capabilities and buy a beater if u wanna wheel the hardcore stuff or just ride along with someone else and watch them break their ****

Registered
    yea its got a 5.4l..it seems a few small upgrades and leave it are the way to go..lockers, suspension upgrade, bigger tires and call it a day

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    I am not even sure how to respond. Go out into your backyard and start a small fire in a coffee can. Throw in 20 bucks and see how that makes you feel. If you don't like it, then stop now.
    i think that is probably the best quote ever. i wish i had heard that about 3 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by F1504x4 View Post
    yea its got a 5.4l..it seems a few small upgrades and leave it are the way to go..lockers, suspension upgrade, bigger tires and call it a day
    ding ding ding!!!

Good idea. plenty of us wheel ifs, it is still a blast.

Holy ****, the new generation is here. They are using "idk", "em", and "n". Thank god for the commercial from cingular with the girl saying "idk, by bff jill". They teach me these new vocab words.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

ill be your pickup man
    Isn't this truck already kinda a beater?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

IDK, if it were my truck I'd just focus on "apperance"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

lowballing someone
    do they even offer a locker for the front ifs in that truck. i didn't think they offered ifs lockers
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    do they even offer a locker for the front ifs in that truck. i didn't think they offered ifs lockers
    Are you kidding me?

Go search ARB... You know Toyota hasn't made a solid front axle vehicle besides the Landcruiser since '85, you think none of us are locked up front?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07 View Post
    Are you kidding me?

Go search ARB... You know Toyota hasn't made a solid front axle vehicle besides the Landcruiser since '85, you think none of us are locked up front?
    Chris, turns out most of us care about IFS 4wd systems about as much as we care what might be under the hood of a Kia. Not very much.
    Last edited by Fredo; 09-24-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    Isn't this truck already kinda a beater?
    yea the outside is ****

everything else though is good and runs great

see, the way everyone burns up money is by not going big enough fast enough. if you put a dana 44 in your truck, it will be no time before you want something bigger. go ahead and put a rockwell in the front, then later you can upgrade the rear when you get the cash.

I wouldnt lock the front diff of an IFS truck of any brand. Lift, tires and rear locker are a good idear though. One step at a time that is.

Oh and please dont waste any money on shiny alloy wheels, they will get royally ****ed up beyond use with any serious use on rocks.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"