Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1999 F150 IFS to Solid Front

yes, lock something thats independent. genius. plus no lockouts.

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    Buy a Ranger!
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006 View Post
    I wouldnt lock the front diff of an IFS truck of any brand. Lift, tires and rear locker are a good idear though. One step at a time that is.

Oh and please dont waste any money on shiny alloy wheels, they will get royally ****ed up beyond use with any serious use on rocks.
    I agree. You would be amazed at what you can do with just a rear locker. Hell I don't have a front locker, and my rear does amazing things for me. (teehehe)

So does my fancy Atrac thingy... but that is silly toyota ifs technology
    Last edited by FJAggie07; 09-24-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Chris, turns out most of us care about IFS 4wd systems about as much as we care what might be under the hood of a Kia. Not very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckert View Post
    yes, lock something thats independent. genius. plus no lockouts.
    Well when you don't cheap out and get something that is selectable and you use it only in situations where...

WTF am I talking about, SAS and weld the gears man!!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!!! It's the TAMOR WAY!!!!

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    The truck you have is a perfect candidate for a good trail rig. It is going to cost you to get it there though, and you will end up wanting a second vehicle to be your DD after it is all over with.

What kind of mechanical skills do you have? Welding/electronics/machinist?

How bad do you want to keep the body straight (or atleast as straight as it is now)? Wheeling a fool size is definitely a lifestyle choice (yes, it's a choice and not in your DNA ). You saw the love I have shown mine.

What kind of budget do you see yourself having for this project?

Where do you live (someplace that is friendly to having a rig in a million pieces for a week or two)?

Answer these questions concisely and you will give us a better feel for what you will be capable of and where you are wanting to go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    The truck you have is a perfect candidate for a good trail rig. It is going to cost you to get it there though, and you will end up wanting a second vehicle to be your DD after it is all over with.

What kind of mechanical skills do you have? Welding/electronics/machinist?

How bad do you want to keep the body straight (or atleast as straight as it is now)? Wheeling a fool size is definitely a lifestyle choice (yes, it's a choice and not in your DNA ). You saw the love I have shown mine.

What kind of budget do you see yourself having for this project?

Where do you live (someplace that is friendly to having a rig in a million pieces for a week or two)?

Answer these questions concisely and you will give us a better feel for what you will be capable of and where you are wanting to go with it.

Well right now, i can't comepletly turn this into a full blown trail rig, assuming i want to go that route.

Right now where i live when im actually at home does not approve of that kinda stuff, but when i lifted my truck we just blocked the veiw with a navigator so it worked Im lookin with a few freidns for a place that actually has a garage that we could use as a shop so we'll hafta see how that works out.

In terms of skill, im pretty good with electronics, i just really want to learn how to weld, you can only get so far with a setaline torch

budget is hard to figure because idk how much ill be paying for the new living arrangements ect.

i think what may end up happening is throwing a rear locker, suspension, and 38in ats on the f150 and be done with it. I know what i want outta a hardcore trail rig (ive been takin notes from some of yalls rigs and seeing what works good ect.) and when i get a place to keep parts layin around ill get to work on it. ill keep those plans to myself for now partially because its still way to early for me to even begin working on it, plus id hate to ruin the suprise for yall

your plans will change a million times
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Registered
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by F1504x4 View Post

i think what may end up happening is throwing a rear locker, suspension, and 38in ats on the f150 and be done with it. I know what i want outta a hardcore trail rig (ive been takin notes from some of yalls rigs and seeing what works good ect.) and when i get a place to keep parts layin around ill get to work on it. ill keep those plans to myself for now partially because its still way to early for me to even begin working on it, plus id hate to ruin the suprise for yall
    Get good at changing CV's if you plan on Running 38's... Throw some 35's under her and call it a day.

another vote for a welder, a trailer, and a small cheap beater rig. Don't mess up your Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    another vote for a welder, a trailer, and a small cheap beater rig. Don't mess up your Daily Driver
    Given my current money situation, and the fact that it IS my DD, a locker, small suspension and 35s will keep it a DD and still make it a bit better to handle the trail. ATs will keep it good for street driving and still give it traction offroad. I think this is a good happy medium for the f150 and itll keep it suitable for both types. save the hardcore offroad stuff for like u said, a small cheap beater.

I wanted to say thanks to all of yall for helpin me with this, i guess the title of this should more be "this is what i want, what the **** should i do?"

i think you'll want some MT's if you get new tires dont get all terrains

Quote Originally Posted by F1504x4 View Post
    Given my current money situation, and the fact that it IS my DD, a locker, small suspension and 35s will keep it a DD and still make it a bit better to handle the trail. ATs will keep it good for street driving and still give it traction offroad. I think this is a good happy medium for the f150 and itll keep it suitable for both types. save the hardcore offroad stuff for like u said, a small cheap beater.

I wanted to say thanks to all of yall for helpin me with this, i guess the title of this should more be "this is what i want, what the **** should i do?"
    oh well you've got it all figured out then. You do realize that a small lift alone on that truck will cost as much as a beater that already wheels better than the f150 ever will...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota View Post
    oh well you've got it all figured out then. You do realize that a small lift alone on that truck will cost as much as a beater that already wheels better than the f150 ever will...
    depending on what he wants to do with said beater, theres an extra $1000 in a trailer and/or insurance. plus all the money he will drop making the crappy beater in a bigger pile of poo, only to be torn apart later in its life. if he just keeps it sane on 35's "I" think he will be much happier.