Thread: My RX-7 build thread:

Threaded View

My RX-7 build thread:

Can an administrator move this to the projects section... Please
    , Thanks!

I bought this car about the time I turned 17 before my Junior year in High School. Picked it up for a wapping $4250.

Its a 1987 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II, it had 68k miles on it, 5k on the motor, and 15k on the turbo.

It also had hail damage, the rear deck had been hit with a hammer, and the side had been backed into by a lifted truck... So the exterior was horrible, the interior dirty, and mechanically it was in excellent shape.

Unfortunately my computer crashed a couple months back and I lost most of the original pictures of it... So the only ones I have through my swap and what not, were the ones I had posted on various forums.

The day after I got it: (don't hate, the young age of 16)

Off topic story:
    I wasn't aware of how quick the car quick the car was when I bought, but the third day I owned I happened to pull up next to a 350Z. He must of thought I was a piece of junk (allthough I have to agree, it did look like one) because he got on it when he pulled along next to me. I followed suit and managed to pull about 2 cars on him by 80 mph. Ended up finding out his car had intake/exhaust, nice guy.

As a reward for buying my own car, and a birthday present my parents had the car painted/ body work done.

The car came with some mods, it was running about 10 psi through ported intake manifolds, and a stock motor. 550cc injectors squirting the fuel with the help of a 230 lph third gen rx pump. Helping keep the air/fuel in check it had an HKS F-CON V-pro engine management system on it. Ported wastegate to keep the creep at bay, and breathed through a cheap ass muffler shop 3in turbo back exhaust, with a highflow cat, and a Hooker max-flow muffler. Had a Greedy BOV, and a Koyo radiator and electric fan to keep things cool. It had Tokico Illumina adjustable shocks, with eibach springs, along with some cusco camber plates. It also had a FCD (fuel cud defender), along with an HKS megaflow intake. Other stuff like a ported TB, and manifolds, plugs, and wires yada yada...

Probably around 2700 pounds and 230-240 hp, through a five speed with 4.10s.

So I ended up painting it Mazda Winning blue, from the RX-8. Had the lights and markers smoked.

Had to put some junk yard probe wheels on... (long story) They will be gone this summer. (years later) I was always more concerned with being fast, over looks.

back end with a friends SRT-4 (ended up putting like 3xxhp and 400 ft/lbs on a 50 trim)

Along the way the alternator went out, and replaced it with a 3rd gen rx alternator.

One day while driving on the feeder the brakes failed. (very scary if it has never happened to you) The brake master cylinder went out. Replaced it, along with the rotors, and put in some portorfield race pads. Also added stainless steel brake lines.

Drove it for a while until my funds caught up... This thing would dump all the fuel when you let off and the secondary injectors let off and it would shoot great fire balls... It was allot of fun. Looking back I don't know how I didn't kill myself...

Fast forward six months: One day, while driving down the road. The motor just went on me... Pop! Apex seal was gone... I limped it home on one rotor, terrified that my baby had died. I had no idea of internal engine work, and the only things I had done so far was a new alternator, basic maintenance and brakes.

Well after a couple of weeks of sitting in the garage decided to tow it up to Gotham Racing in Ft. Worth. One of the widely known rotary company's in the country and arguably one of the greatest rotary tuners in the world.
    They built me a new motor and we made some major changes.

New Motor:
    Series 4 13bt block
    2 new mazda reman (series 5 housings)
    Gotham Stage 3 race port for intake/exhaust ports of the housings
    (for those that don't know, this is kind of the cam and stroke of the rotary world, huge power increase)
    milled the rotors, one new to fit 3mm apex seals, along with apex springs from a third gen RX (i guess you could compare to forged pistons?)
    Teflon coolant seals
    new gaskets, ported Eccentric shaft pellet (remember this)

It took them 4 months to finish the motor because they were in the middle of a shop move.

Also while up there they took out the HKS F-CONN and replaced it with a Haltech E6K standalone engine management. Also added some MSD ignition amps. Time for big fuel! 720cc primary injectors and 1600cc, let me repeat that 1600CC secondaries. Swapped out the 230lph for a 285 (iirc) Nippondenso unit.

Brought it home for a while, breaking in the motor. Mean while make a friend that is getting out of RX-7s because he is getting married. Makes me a hell of a deal on a T-70BB turbo (0 miles on rebuild), an HKS cast manifold, a 4in down pipe, 3in. intercooler piping, a big spearco intercooler, an hks bov, 4in K&N filter/Boost Logic intake, and an HKS Waste Gate. All for 1600! The IC piping alone would have ran about 850, lord knows the turbo would be expensive! So I jump on it.

While waiting for school to end (since it was my DD). The radiator fan goes out one day... Order a new one and summit didn't tell me it was on back order until I checked in on it a week later. Perfect time to start my swap!

I went from this:

to this:
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-26-2008 at 08:35 PM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL