Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My RX-7 build thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    aren't the apex seals the reason mazda never campaigned the rotary in road racing? I think they just don't have the abilty to live long around a track. I'm guessing the same would happen on a high strung DD. What was wrong w/ the 3rd? gen RX7 that Butler had. I think parts were loaded into the trunk when the guy came and bought it. That thing had a rough life.
    Nope, "In 1991, Mazda became the first Japanese manufacturer to win the 24 hours of Le Mans. The car was a 4-rotor prototype class car, the 787B. The FIA outlawed rotary engines shortly after this win. To this day the rotary powered Mazda is the only Japanese manufacturer to have ever won the prestigious 24 hour Le Mans race outright."

RXs had also place 14th and 24th in Le Mans previously.

"Mazda began racing RX-7s in the IMSA GTU series in 1979. That first year, RX-7s placed first and second at the 24 Hours of Daytona, and claimed the GTU series championship. The car continued winning, claiming the GTU championship seven years in a row. The RX-7 took the GTO championship ten years in a row from 1982. The RX-7 has won more IMSA races than any other car model."

"The RX-7 also fared well at the Spa 24 Hours race. Three Savanna/RX-7s were entered in 1981 by Tom Walkinshaw Racing. After hours of battling with several BMW 530i and Ford Capri, the RX-7 driven by Pierre Dieudonné and Tom Walkinshaw won the event. Mazda had turned the tables on BMW, who had beaten Mazda's Familia Rotary to the podium eleven years earlier at the same event. TWR's prepared RX-7s also won the British Touring Car Championship in 1980 and 1981, driven by Win Percy."

RX-7s have even managed to win in WRC in the 80's.

"in 2006, RE Amemiya Racing Asparadrink FD3S won the GT300 class championship."

If you ask me that is a pretty nice racing history.

Now just think, its the late 70s and automobile companys have been fine tuning and engineering there traditional motors since the early 1900's. How many of them are going to jump on a new motor and start engineering something new and drop the last 70 years of work? The amount of engineering the rotary has seen is a fraction of what other cars have. If they had the same input over the last 100 years I am sure they would be just as reliable.

Now think, the reason the motor never took off is that no one knew how to work on it. I can walk into a Mazda dealership, and start talking to the "rotary tech" and he won't know what the hell I'm talking about in a matter of minutes. You can't expect all of the mechanics to be on the ball when it represents such a small percentage of business. The maintenance is much more than the average car, and that is its down fall. Most people don't want to or don't know how to up keep it. The second they start having problems that could be easily fixed they have it towed to the local Joe's auto repair. He dosent even know what he is looking at... so it never gets fixed... and than bam! the motor is gone. Its a twisted web.

That being said there are several known RX-7s (mostly the N/As) with up to 260k miles on the original motor... Not bad for an 80's car...
    I think its all in the knowledge of the owner.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGOONRANCH View Post
    How does it go? "No replacement for displacement..."

Mine are:

"there is a replacement for displacement, its called engineering"

And my favorite man of all time, Mr. Colin Chapman:

"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."

"To add speed, add lightness."
    "Simplicate, then add lightness."

I like this one- "Any car which holds together for more than a race is too heavy."

SHUT UP AND WHEEL

I see your quotes, but no references.

"In 1981, Seth Stewart was born and assumed the position of world's biggest bad-ass. This was previously held by Lee Majors, aka The Fall Guy, but he was truly out-classed with an oppenent such as Mr. Stewart. The Duke boys did come along in the early years, but due to their bad-assness being spread between the two of them, they could only play in the bad-ass busch league. In the 90's Seth won consecutive Industrial Technology student of the year awards from one Mr. Dinkelkamp, furthering his alredy impressive resume. Admission to Texas A&M University, sans essay, truly cemented his stutus for what will likely be his entire lifetime. Experts agree that the only possibility of Seth being surpassed would be if he procreated, but it is likely that any offspring would be illegitimate, and therefore likely overlooked by the masses."
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

I'm betting the camaro vs. RX7 showdown would end up like the great Porsche vs. Camaro showdown of '00. Broken foreign ****. (I had to think for a minute to try to believe that it's really been that long ago. Damn, I'm old.)
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I had already stated that my **** wasn't running at the moment, therefore the Camaro already had a one up one me.

But in the only thing in favor of the camaro, traction... I am amazed by the over look of the most important thing in relation to speed... Power to weight...

Lets say this race did happen... I would say one from a dig, and another from a 40 roll?
    Last edited by breckboarder55; 09-29-2008 at 11:28 AM.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Racing from a roll is for no driving chumps.

Power to weight is important, but so is torque. When I had my camaro dynoed I remember the guy looking at the printout and going, "Well, this is your Horsepower curve and here's....well, here is your torque lack of curve. Damn!"
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

I agree, but... My little 230 Yokohama ES100's are doing my any favors right now...

That's why I said one of each.
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    i heard the porsche story a few times, good stuff
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

if this race ever happens I have to be there to see it
    Jonathan Tate
    2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 MegaCab
    2004 Jeep TJ
    1992 Jeep YJ
    2008 Jeep JKU
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport (mama's go fast car)

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    TAMOR Pinks! im gonna need lengths *****!!!
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I could get in on this with the Chevelle... "I hope you brought your wood screws cuz I'm about to blow your doors off!"
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

*** Does the Chevelle have a build thread?
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Nope, it's a secret...
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I think my hypothetical mazda powered vehicle will smoke this one. its 50/50 weight distribution and lighter

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Maybe we can get Krebs to bring the imaginary buggy as well.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)