Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The camaro build

i think i can see an a-pillar over the gauge pod on the driver's side and a long radius curved upper windshield bar above the rear view mirror. looks like they cut through the interior windshield frame to tuck it up close. definately nice work in keeping it tucked up out of the way.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem.../photo_06.html

You can def see the bars here, look like smaller diameter.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I think that's pretty much how you'd have to do it though. St.John and I kicked this idea around a couple years ago and nothing came of it. I think I'd probably use 1 1/2" tube for most of it to try to tuck it out of the way as much as possible. I was thinking about using 2" for the main hoop, but this double tube idea sounds like it might work out pretty good. The plan of leather wrapping the cage was always there. I was going to paint the cage metallic green, then leather wrap the bars, so the exposed joints that couldn't be wrapped would match the car.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

vette's have much more room between the windshield and pillar due to the really convex glass. the camaro's windshield is alot more strait and the dash corners are much closer to the glass. of all the late model cars that could possibly need a cage I think the 3rd gen dash is the most difficult one to build around. IMO

Well apparently making a build thread for this car was the kiss of death. Here's the write-up I did for the camaro board I'm on:

I've felt physically Ill since it happened. Saturday I decided to take the camaro out for a drive since the weather was so beautiful so I decided to get the camaro out. Well, while cruising along a two lane blacktop backroad near the house, pushing the car through the corners some, I topped a hill on a broad lefthander to find a white scion xa pulling out onto the road in front of me. I was pretty much to the apex of the turn when I had to hit the brakes. It was either hit the brakes and risk the back of the car coming out, or completely demolish the scion. Well, I still don't know which would have been better for the car, but I know which one would have made me feel better.
    So I decided to attempt hitting the brakes, which upset the balance and grip of the car, sliding the rear to the right. About the time I was trying to gently correct and try to save it, the rear tires were already in the grass. At this point I new I was pretty much screwed. As the car spun around, it came in contact with what sounded like two road marker poles and all I could hear where the hits because my eyes were already shut expecting the worst.
    I came to rest in the ditch and I look up to see if the Scion driver stopped to check on me, but he was no where to be found. Upon further inspection, the passenger rear quarter took the brunt of three marker poles and subsequently was destroyed in the process, along with the corner of the right rear taillight and the convertible body trim at the top of the quarter panel. As best as I can tell, one of the poles basically bent down as it was hit and tagged the driver's side quarter panel on it's way over the car and then scratched the car below the door and dented the driver's front fender while scratching it as the car spun around. Like I said, I shut my eyes, but I'm pretty sure I was on two wheels for a bit as I went down the embankment. So needless to say, I was pretty shaken up, and very glad that the car didn't flip or a road sign didn't clock me in the skull as it flew over the car.

Anyway, I'm pretty embarrassed about it. I mean, I've been driving that car harder than I was on backroads for almost 10 years now and finally this happens. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. I don't even know what to do. Part of me wants to rebuild her even though I know insurance is going to total it. While part of me wants to get another 91-92 and swap all the parts over. While still, I wonder if I should just move on and cut my losses. I'm still pretty upset about it so I'm just trying to think rationally about it and make a decision on where to go from here.

we'll start small.....here's the damage to the front fender, below the door at the rocker, and the top of the rear quarter all on the driver's side...

"You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

What follows below is not for the faint of camaro heart....

ill be your pickup man
    Wow. That really sucks Fred.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Sorry to see that Fred. I'm glad you're ok though!

You should buff that **** out and get back on the road! The insurance thing I understand...all they're going to see is a 10+ year old car. You really think it's beyond fixing? From that underside picture it doesn't *look* like it really got into the body structure. The way you've always talked about that car I would have never imagined you saying "cut my losses..."
    BDR

Narrow the tailgate and boatside the rear, I hear it's all the rage! I vote put it all in a gutted hardtop, version 2.0 of the motor and go real fast at whatever track you feel like taking it to. I want in somehow though too so I can flog on it as well. (i know I'm making light of it, but fred knows how I feel. its just a car, it could have been 100 times worse.)
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

If you decide to gut it, that drivetrain, first gen.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

**** man, that sucks. Glad everyone was OK.

Damn I am sorry fred, that sucks a big one.

Booo!

Glad I got to take a ride in the esteemed camaro!

Glad you're alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Find another 91-92 Camaro with a blown motor and swap it over?

sorry to hear that...
    SHUT UP AND WHEEL