Thread: Rear Dana 60 axle project

Rear Dana 60 axle project

So back in my early days I scored a semifloat Dana 60 axle from a travelall and thought it would be cool to narrow and go in The Belle. (It would have been!) I have since decided that if I'm going to upgrade it will be to fullwidth wontons. I had the axle housing narrowed to ~59" wms-wms (will have to measure) and ordered some Moser 35 spline shafts, 5X5.5" pattern for it. I had them put the stock scout style outers back on the axle housing, if I knew then what I know now, it would have got 9" outers, oh well. Scout drum brakes or a scout disc brake conversion will work, and I should be able to scare up some drum brakes. This would be a bulletproof axle for someone that wants to go in a jeep or similar setup. I can get pics of what I have left, but it's basically the narrowed housing and the shafts. Is anyone interested in this? I have ~$500 and my time invested in just the housing and shafts. (ahh, to be young and naive again!) If you are interested let me know and I will get pics of the housing and shafts, and we can go from there. I know I won't get what I have in it, but I also know what it would cost to get an axle this strong in a jeep width application, 5x5.5" pattern, not cheap. One last word, this is a Flemmed out project and will need some parts and work to be a complete axle, much like the flemco 9".
    Last edited by BMFScout; 10-01-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

it would go well with the flemco 9"

hmm, do you have any pictures.

Does it have any gears or carrier
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Yes, Creighton should buy my axle then he would have a JRB 60 (Like ARB, but better) to go with that Flemco 9"
    Boats and hoes

And then in 20 years when Brune Motors and Fabrication and FlemCo are synonymous with Yenko and Shelby, that crumpled up jeep will sell at Barrett-Jackson for a quarter mil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007 View Post
    hmm, do you have any pictures.

Does it have any gears or carrier
    I'll get some pics in a day or two. I know I sold the gears and install kit to David Oliver. I think I ebay'ed the spool I had for it, but I can't remember. That is what I was going to do though, saw spools on ebay for less than $150.
    Boats and hoes

looks like it is the same width
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"

Think it would be pretty darn close. I'm not really sure why I didn't think about this sooner. I've been selling off **** I know I'm not going to do anything with, kind of forgot I even had this.
    Boats and hoes

The spool was with it, I'll sell it with or without it, that would ebay for $100 easy enough. The bare tubes measure ~55", figure the axles will stick out 2" on either side. The welds aren't the prettiest, but they look strong. The speed shop I had it welded up at "guaranteed" it to be straight, they had a jig for welding axles. It looks that way to me. The axles have suffered a little surface rust, nothing that wouldn't come off with a scotch brite. One is longer than the other, never did figure out why he ordered them that way, might have to machine one shorter, but they are splined pretty far so there should be plenty to make it work. They measure 29-1/2" and 28-3/4" from wms to the end of the shaft. As far as bearings and retainer plates, I'm not sure, I think I sold off the stock shafts/bearings/plates. The main caps are in the plastic baggies in the pic. I smoothed out the bottom of the axle with a grinder, but didn't really take that much off. Let me know if you have any more questions, or just give me a call. I understand it's a project axle, I don't see myself spending any more time or money to get it going since I have pretty much decided to go full width if I do anything further with the Belle. I would be happy to make the deal that if you bought it and couldn't make the parts work together that I would buy it back no questions. I think with a little figuring it would make one badass 5X5.5" pattern 60.
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Boats and hoes

more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Boats and hoes

yeah I will take it and the spool PM and we can work out a price