Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2003 LS-1 mated to 4L60E What's it worth?

2003 LS-1 mated to 4L60E What's it worth?

This guy is claiming to have a 2003 LS-1 that came out of a 1/2 ton pickup mated to a 4L60E in this rig I am looking at. Seeing as how I know nothing about any engine that WASN'T designed by Toyota I look to my TAMOR brethren to school me on this set up and what it is worth?

I know Fred will have something to say about this, anybody please let me know what kind of motors these are, anything you know about the Tranny and if his crap he is spewing about what it is worth is true. Thanks guys.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    the '03 model was the only one with a major flaw in it. Just hold on to it and I will happily dispose of it when I get home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Thanks smartass!

Seriously All I know is that they are great engine's but what makes them great? What are they worth? I want to buy this rig and just need to know if what he is asking is reasonable or not.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    The trucks didn't get "LS1's" technically. An LS1 is the all aluminum 5.7L that they put in the vettes and camaros. The trucks had steel block variants of this design. Good motors, but you need to know what size it is. For 2003, it could have been a 4.8L, a 5.3L, or a 6.0L. All good engines. I don't think they put 4L60E's behind the 6.0L, so i'm pretty sure that rules that motor out. Plus, he says it's out of a 1/2 ton, so more than likely a 5.3 or 4.8. It's almost impossible to tell these motors apart without having a fiber optic scope to look at the top of the piston, or have the vin from the truck it came out of to prove what it was. Anyway, that's a whole different discussion.

What is is worth? I've seen 5.3L/4L60E combos go as cheap as $750. Generally, people pay anywhere between $1000-2500 for those setups from what I've seen. I personally wouldn't pay over $1250 for a 5.3L/4L60e combo.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

It is the 5.3L. So it isn't technically an LS-1? And what does Vortec mean on these things? Does that actually denote anything special?

Thanks Fred, that is what I was thinking too about 1500 - 2000 but this guy is claiming $10,000...

maybe if he had a shop install it, they wired it and all, and he overpaid...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Actually the guy is a shop, a Cruiser resto shop and Cruiser nuts are all fawking crazy. Don't get me wrong the Cruiser is beautiful more of a keep pretty rig, not a wheel beat the **** out of Rig but I am just formulating what I want to offer him.

they have a designation and it's not ls-1, but they are of the ls series. this is common and drives me nuts

The trucks all start with lq and have a number like 4, 5, 8 behind it, and they all have different ratings.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    LM7 is what the standard issue 5.3L is called, LQ4 is one of the 6.0L, the 4.8 is a LR4? I think, the LQ9 is the Caddy 6.0L, and L59 is the 5.3 flex fuel code, and the LM3 is the 5.3L transverse motor they put in the impala SS's.....those are the only ones I can remember off the top of my head.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Damn I need to round up this wylie crew and buy ya'll a beer.

sounds like ya'll are $9000 dollars apart from making a deal.
    and if he tells you it cost $10k again point him towards the GM Performance Parts website and show him that a brand new one of these is only $6k
    http://www.currymotors.gmmotors.com/...L92Engine.aspx
    Last edited by Graystroke; 10-13-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Actually we are about $12,000 apart from making a deal. I don't think he is budging, and I sure as hell ain't going any higher. I am going to let him sit on it for a week though before I put in my offer.

if you came to me offering 12g's less than I was asking I would definantly laugh in your face and send u packin'.

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld View Post
    if you came to me offering 12g's less than I was asking I would definantly laugh in your face and send u packin'.
    you're cute!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Thus the reason I haven't made the offer. Times are tough, and what he is asking for the vehicle is unbelievably unrealistic. I probably won't actually offer him anything, but I am going to let him sit on the truck, and figure out what it is really worth.

What's really funny about right now, is there are a lot of people selling rigs, cause they need the money, but nothing really good. It is kind of difficult to figure out what I should buy, or if I should just sit around and twiddle my thumbs waiting for something to pop up.

The 40 that this thread is about is not in anyway worth what he is asking, but the guy owns a Cruiser Restoration Shop, and a fool and his money are soon parted I guess.