Thread: Electrical Switch Panels

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar

Electrical Switch Panels

I have a question about electrical switches. My question applies to boats, but I figure some of you might have some opinion or theory on this. I have an aluminum boat, recently I purchased a switch panel like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Swi...mZ350106820130

The ad says marine switch panel, etc... So I figured it could handle damp environments. Well I have had the panel installed for about 6 months and used it a couple of times. I went to fix the bilge pump on the boat last night and none of the switches work. I took it apart, checked battery, wiring, etc... What I found was that every switch had corroded to the point where they no longer worked.

My question, is there a type of switch that is better suited for this? How can you tell, I mean this thing was supposed to be a "marine" switch panel. The terminals on the back are all craptacular now and it has only been used in fresh water???
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

nothing that is actually marine grade is $25 unless you are talking about a single switch.

why not emcompass a sealed box with the switches? only have the wires coming through a sealed hole on the backside.

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I am thinking of siliconing the hell out of the back side.

Cox, any constructive comments to make or are you just going to be your normal jackass self?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

McMaster 7172K21

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    I am thinking of siliconing the hell out of the back side.

Cox, any constructive comments to make or are you just going to be your normal jackass self?
    i could, but i dont know enough about marine switchs to really be of help other than the fact that they are expensive. a marine rated penny is worth a dime.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    Contura rocker switches are sealed for marine use from what I've found on them. Like the switches they use for ARB kits and stuff. Waytek has them. If you're buying one, it's roughly $8-10 for the switch and plug. They do discounts in bulk, so if you are thinking about ordering them, let me know, I'd like to get some.

They have them listed as switch body, then "actuator" which is the cover, then plug, and plug terminals, then mounting blocks. So it's a piece together kind of deal. Here's the link to all of the contura stuff:
    http://order.waytekwire.com/scategory/M37/260/200
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)