Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diff or T-case? Need help

ill be your pickup man

Diff or T-case? Need help

I got the new bearings/balljoints etc. all put back on Bronco, both sides. Now when I get in it, it runs fine in 2wd, but when I shift to 4HI, and try and pull forward or back up, it will move a couple inches and then bind up and stop. I can give it gas and it does not want to go anywhere. I could make it move, but fear breaking something. I had neighbor get in and I watched the front shaft. WHen it was moving forward or reverse, the shaft stopped spinning a couple times, then started spinning again.

When I pulled the diff cover, there was no metal or anything in the mix and everythign looked fine. I am thinking t-case. I have NEVER after 10 years of wheeling this ****box ever touched it. I might have changed the fluid once. Its a BW1356.

I was towed back to camp at Shiloh when the starter failed and had the trans in neutral, but probably still had the t-case in 4lo. Could that done something.

My day has been ****ty. I got and installed 2 new bad upper balljoints from Advance. You have you remove the lower to remove and install the upper. If I never have to do balljoints in a 60 again it will be too soon. I also broke the nipple off of the inner locknut and the heater core decided that now would be a great time to start leaking.

Greg picks it up Tuesday to build the bumpers, so I won't get it back till right before Clayton.
    Last edited by JB; 11-09-2008 at 07:27 PM.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

So you would be moving foward and the shaft would stop spinning. Was this while you were still moving or would the whole truck stop?

Does your bronco's driveshafts have the double U-joint things (big biol test brain not workinh) by the t-case? I once had the inner piece brake, it would rotate fine but under load it would bind.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

ill be your pickup man
    While the truck was moving, the driveshaft would stop and start spinning. It has a double cardaan joint on the back, but just the regular yoke on the front.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89 View Post
    While the truck was moving, the driveshaft would stop and start spinning. It has a double cardaan joint on the back, but just the regular yoke on the front.
    Ok so the front screwin up while the back is driving the truck. I would guess you got a ****ed t-case being that you just tore into the diff.
    Born to Kill

I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

Registered
    take the drive shaft off and try moving it with the hubs unlocked, if it still binds its the trans

ill be your pickup man
    I am going to pull the front shaft tonight and see what it does. I am guessing that it will not change anything. My options are to wait till I get it back in a couple weeks, buy a rebuilt kit for the 1356 and tear into it days before Clayton.....or buy a used one off Craigslist (seen them for $100-350) and rebuild it and just swap it in once I get it back (less stressful timewise this way, but not as cheap)...or call Stak and throw more shiney parts at this turd.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

I have a 1356 out of a one ton I would let go really cheap. It has the slip yoke though.
    Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJo View Post
    I have a 1356 out of a one ton I would let go really cheap. It has the slip yoke though.
    I bet I could make it work. I will let you know.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

ill be your pickup man
    I was wrong. Its the diff. Removed the shaft and can not move the axle yoke by hand. moves fine in 4hi/lo without a shaft. I really hope I dont need new gears and detroit. I guess I take it to J&P when I get it back.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Let me get this straight. When you have it in 4wd, it moves because it powers through what ever is binding in the dif? I take it you tried to turn it with the wheels off the ground or the hubs unlocked, correct? I figure you know plenty to have checked it out properly, but the reason I am asking is someone may come along later and read this and want the clarification then.
    Last edited by DRAGOONRANCH; 11-10-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Thats fine, I sold one once for like 150 and the dude was wanting to put it in a bronco. I told him twice it wouldn't work but he disagreed.
    Born to Kill

ill be your pickup man
    T-case in 4hi, no front drivesaft, hubs locked - goes no where
    T-case in 4hi, front driveshaft in, hubs unlocked, goes no where
    hubs unlocked, no driveshaft - I can't turn the yoke by hand
    T-case in 2hi or 4h or 4lo, hubs locked, goes no where.
    T-case in 2hi, 4hi, or 4lo, hubs unlocked, no d-shaft, moves fine.

That was more confusing,

With the truck in 2wd, and the hubs locked, and no driveshaft, its not moving.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Once I read it for the second time, it makes sense. Now, get this biatch ready so we can drin...er, wheel up in Clayton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

binding ujoints in the axles and the hubs didnt' completely unlock?

I never completely trusted that spring in there.

did you happen to replace or pack the wheel bearings if posibliy removed the spindle and did not get it seated or the bearing seated it will pull the axle shafts out a little and they will bind when the hub are locked in
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!