Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaft & U-Joint replacement

Shaft & U-Joint replacement

As spme of you know, I blew a stub shaft on the buggy in Clayton. Jimmy helped me replace it with a stock spare I had. I think the CTM U-Joint was fubared in the process. How do I tell if it needs to be replaced too?

Any suggestions on a replacement shaft? Should I stick with Yukon (I think that is what it is)?

p.s. I am told they are Dana 44 Wagoneer axles.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti
    1988 Suzuki Samurai buggy

ctm's are pretty cool because as long as the trunnion (sp?) is OK, everything else can be replaced which saves you allot of money. Heres the rebuild kit on the d-44 u-joints,
    http://www.drivetrainoutlet.com/U_Jo...build_Kit.html
    Do you want another aftermarket outer shaft, or are you asking about the inner shafts? Yukon is an OK brand but the general consciences is that alloy USA or superior are better brands.

heres some ctm info. http://coloradok5.com/ctm-d44.shtml

hmm, did, know you could rebuild the CTMs. The races (not sure if that is what they are called) are bent up on 2 of the 4 ends.

Yes, new outers. I don't want to replace the whole thing unless I have to.
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

yah just buy a new ctm. I don't know about the outer for a wagoneer, but I would bet that flem knows. As far as I know there are two sizes of d-44 outers, that it could be the ford one and the chevy one. I have fords in mine. . . anyways here's a link. You can measure the current "spare" you have to find out. http://completeoffroad.com/c-62665-d44-stubs.html

Best I remember the only thing seriously fubared on yours were the bearing material because I'm betting they had never been greased. Worst case we/slim jacked up a cap, but the bearing material was fakwed anyway. You should only have to replace the stub shaft, isn't that the only thing that broke? I'd get two of those rebuild kits because I bet the other side is just as neglected/worn out, and an aftermarket chromoly or whatever shaft and you should be good. Then reserve the better part of an afternoon to fawk with those pain in the ass u-joints and swap it all out. Did you have a stock assembly we could just throw in there? I think it was the wrong side or something? It would make it a lot easier next time you decide to "tree wheel" if you had a whole assmebly you could just throw in there to get off the trail.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    no more tree wheeling!
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Alright, I need to get this crap ordered. I think I am just going to try and grease the other side & see how it does to save some cash for now. I'll order a rebuild kit for the fubared side. Is the best place to get the rebuild kit the place Ryan quoted above?

Also, since they are currently Yukon shafts, should I stick with them or go something else?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Get good shafts, and keep cheap spares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

lowballing someone
    if your waggy axle is drivers drop then look for shafts from 80 on and if it is a pass drop then you need shafts from a 74-79 waggy. if it is a later on i have a spare short side inner
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Is this what I need for the shaft?
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

lowballing someone
    no that is the one you would want if you used a d44 housing and d30 outers. it is scout specific
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Ok, I ordered the shaft from Randy's Ring & Pinion at Blankenships recommendation. They don't carry CTM stuff though - only SuperJoint. Any suggestions on where I should get it?

p.s. My doors are looking pretty badass and coming together fast...kudos to Ryan Clarke
    Thanks,
    Chris Scotti

How much did randy's charge. You got a yukon chromolly one for a scout outer shaft right?

the general consensus from a quick search seems to be that the rebuild kit is $110 regardless of where you buy it, I pm'd a vendor on pirate to see how much they wanted for you though. I'll let you know if its any cheaper (and you get free shipping) when I hear a response.

"D44 ctm rebuild kit - $90 Shipped for 1 joint

Thanks...Scott 812-623-3473 machinewave"

There you go Scotti, give the guy a call and save yourself $20 (not including how much it would have been to ship).